Author Topic: Veterans  (Read 1780 times)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Veterans
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »
A new museum on WW2 is opening up near me. This is a huge thing for my area, and probably the closest one inside of 100-150 miles. However they are still looking for items of interest to add to the exhibits. So now I'll cut to the chase.

I know that there are some WW2 Veterans who fly this game. I was just wondering if you would possibly mind, even if just one person did it would be amazing for me and everyone in the area, putting down your story on tape and sharing it with me. If you you could please PM me, and let me know if this would be possible at all I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your time Sirs and Ladies.
 :salute
Macleod01
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
Re: Veterans
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Good luck on your quest - It's good to see some one taking an interest privately in Vets and their stories. Do you really think tho there are many WWII vets playing here?? Assuming they didn't lie about their age the youngest would be about 82 years of age. Perhaps another good source for you would be to make a few calls to some local retirement homes/residences and leave your Tel#.

Also of course any Veterns clubs/associations/legions. If your community has a local "internet classified/wanted" site a note on there might get you some replies - even from family members of vets who don't do internet. "www.kijiji.com" is one.

Please let us know how it goes - definately if ya get any air force guys!!

Good on ya mate! :salute

cheers eh!
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »
Wreked, I remember a gentleman, and I hate to say I forgot his ID, but he spoke up on the MA channel 200 after having his past insulted and announced he was a F6f pilot with 25 confirmed kills to his name by wingman and guncam.

I know theres Vets out there, and im very interested to see if anyone will be kind enough to comply with my request.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Contact vilkas. I think he's a vet. Not sure if he'll talk about it. You'll have to ask him.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
Also I believe "1wildcat" or WILDCAT or something like that flew and saw action in the pacific theater during WW2.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline FBGrave

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
Stodd is correct, Wildcat1 is a WW2 veteren wildcat / hellcat pilot. I'm sure he has some very interesting stories to tell.
I also feel bad about the way he is treated online. It seems the younger gen. has no respect any more.
Don't go where the road don't go

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
Stodd is correct, Wildcat1 is a WW2 veteren wildcat / hellcat pilot. I'm sure he has some very interesting stories to tell.
I also feel bad about the way he is treated online. It seems the younger gen. has no respect any more.

FB, if it is possible, would you mind firing him a PM to get in touch? I searched the boards with the search function and got nothing. I would dearly like to speak to the gentleman. Many thanks

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
Assuming they didn't lie about their age the youngest would be about 82 years of age.
My dad passed away last year at 80.  He enlisted in the Navy at 17 and first saw action off Okinawa. 

A flyer who saw any action would probably be 5 years older.

I salute your intentions, but I think the WWII generation is slipping away.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
My dad passed away last year at 80.  He enlisted in the Navy at 17 and first saw action off Okinawa. 

A flyer who saw any action would probably be 5 years older.

I salute your intentions, but I think the WWII generation is slipping away.

Which, all counting im not mistaken, makes it all the more important to listen today while we still can. As you said, these men are slipping away but I would dearly like to get their story down on tape, just so it can be remembered.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Vilkas was who I was thinking of when I saw this thread.

Never flew with him or chatted with him, but I knew of him.

Good luck!    :aok
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline boingg

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
Vilkas is a veteran of the second world war and an exceptional gentleman as well  :salute
His presence ads a certain authenticity to our Squad nights as well as FSO
He and all other Veterans are something we should treasure .

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:02:50 AM »
I have met a number of WWII vets out in the general public.Just look for the hats.The Navy guys tend to be the easiest to spot,they usualy have a baseball cap with theyre ships name and what have ya on there.I noticed guys from other services wearing similiar hats.I met one Vet at my local supermarket who was on board a cruiser at one of the naval battles at Guadalcanal.Another gentleman I met at the same supermarket told me about the landings on different islands in the pacific.I felt bad because he got all choked up at one point.He told me he goes around to local schools and gives short lectures on his experiances.Another guy I met a Mcdonalds was on the USS Iowa at the very end of the war.The first Vet I mentioned I havnt seen in awhile and I am afraid he may have passed.So get out there and have a look.Its not too late but its probably getting close.

Pipz
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:05:12 AM by pipz »
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
I have met a number of WWII vets out in the general public.Just look for the hats.The Navy guys tend to be the easiest to spot,they usualy have a baseball cap with theyre ships name and what have ya on there.I noticed guys from other services wearing similiar hats.I met one Vet at my local supermarket who was on board a cruiser at one of the naval battles at Guadalcanal.Another gentleman I met at the same supermarket told me about the landings on different islands in the pacific.I felt bad because he got all choked up at one point.He told me he goes around to local schools and gives short lectures on his experiances.Another guy I met a Mcdonalds was on the USS Iowa at the very end of the war.The first Vet I mentioned I havnt seen in awhile and I am afraid he may have passed.So get out there and have a look.Its not too late but its probably getting close.

Pipz

Pipz.
Its a brilliant idea but unfortunatly not realy practical for me. I live in small area, where I can name almost everybody inside of a 40 mile area. I can meet them all walking down the street so my chance of bumping into a Veteran are nil, sorry to say. Its just the way it is. I live in the north west of Scotland, so its not even seen any major battles or skirmishes that may bring the vets. This game and these boards are my best chance to meet these vets, hence the call.

Boingg
I have sent Vilkas a PM but if you wouldn't mind asking him to get in touch, it would be most appreciated.
Thank you so much

Macleod01

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 07:50:03 AM »
  It sounds to me you better make some phone calls to vet groups in larger cities and make some field trip interviews. Don't wait too long...time is tickin.

~AoM~

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 07:57:50 AM »
  It sounds to me you better make some phone calls to vet groups in larger cities and make some field trip interviews. Don't wait too long...time is tickin.

Again, the problem is my location. The trip you say would take about 3 days to complete, which although worth it, means days off work which I can't easily afford at the moment. That is also why I came here, as I have the best chance of contacting the vets as I would do anywhere else.