Author Topic: Need help picking a note book computer  (Read 968 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need help picking a note book computer
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
Does anyone have any other recommendations for a laptop that will give me the best bang for my $800 bucks?  What about Acer?  I never used any Acer products.
Acer is a 50/50 crap shoot...wouldn't chance it. Support stinks. If $800 is your limit...go with the biggest HP you can get.

Otherwise it's Factor Gaming or Alienware.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »
Or cyborpowerpc, which makes alienware quality products for 3/4 of the price.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »
Like Denholm said...cyberpowerpc.   :aok

Here is 1 is one that I found from them after I did a quick look.

This 1 alone is better than the 2 you listed at costs $775.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X5-2900_Notebook/

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, NVidia 9600 GT.

There is also 1 that is $799 if you would rather have a ATI video card.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »
my wife and i bought a HP laptop and has been playing this game for 2 years. i have nothing against HP laptops. wy not go with the alein MTX2
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
Like Denholm said...cyberpowerpc.   :aok

Here is 1 is one that I found from them after I did a quick look.

This 1 alone is better than the 2 you listed at costs $775.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X5-2900_Notebook/

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, NVidia 9600 GT.

There is also 1 that is $799 if you would rather have a ATI video card.

I ended up ordering the HP.  It was actually only $707 with Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, NVidia 9600M GT, and Blue-Ray drive.  So it is close, but a little more for about $68 less.  I added some bundle stuff too and got a pretty good deal: backlit keyboard, 12-cell battery, all-in-one printer with cable and extra ink, and a wireless router.  The whole deal was only $896 + tax w/ free shipping.

But, the only reason the HP set-up ended up being a better deal was because of the student discounts, which I think was about $500 less then buying the stuff out-right.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »
Basically just typing papers for school and playing AHII.  I'm not a big-time gamer, and I don't do any video/graphics editing, but when I'm flying on my laptop I want to be impressed.

So, I'm leaning toward HP.  It kills me to have to wait 2-3 more weeks for a new note book, but I guess I will be happy that I did.
I had my ole Inspiron 6K for 3 years, 512mb ram, it had been thru it all...the 2 week wait to build my new comp was W E L L worth it, I'm sure this would be too!
And again, the backlit keyboard is great. Here is a night pic with my dell Studio 15:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:13 AM »
Has anyone dealt with Asus and/or HP recently that can offer some feedback about their overall satisfaction?  For example, if I call the tech support for HP, will I be on hold for 4 hours and then need to hire a translator to communicate with the rep?  I also read on Newegg that Asus laptops come full of bloatware too, but I would be willing to bet that HP will have more.

we have about 20 pcs and laptops here, all HP, all covered by their nextday onsite Care Packs. the Care Packs are very cheap for what you get and well worth it (just had a mobo replaced on a 4yr old desktop, care pack cost ~£70 for 4 yrs iirc.) Their tech support is pretty good, helps if you know a bit to get them to replace stuff though. the laptops themselves seem pretty durable - we havent had any problems with them so far, unlike the previous succession of POS laptops from sony and other brands.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline df_swans_84

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 07:18:40 AM »
I have recently bought an acer laptop and so far love the thing, bought it to replace a compaq i had which was total naff, barely a year old, battery was dead, keys falling off, just a nghtmare, oh and the extreme overheating from the day i bought it (overheated many a time) so bad that the rubbers on the bottom of the laptop wouldnt stay on because it was so hot the glue kept melting

And no word of a lie, for me to play Aces High on it, i had to use a metal grill thing from the kitchen to raise it off the desk, with the fan on pointing in its direction

That was the reason i didnt go for HP as im sure it is HP who own Compaq, so it put me off

Bought the Acer Aspire 6920 Gemstone, n i think its awesome, i can play aces high, can also play games like Tom Clancy's Hawks and what not, but the only problem i have is net connection, only been a problem since joining Sky Broadband so it aint the laptop causing it

It isnt the best model you can get but it has a 9500M GS 512Mb graphics card, 3GB Ram, 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Paid about £560 for it, so pretty good compared to paying £480 for that crap with a Compaq badge on the front of it :)
71st Eagles Squadron RAF

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
oh and the extreme overheating from the day i bought it (overheated many a time) so bad that the rubbers on the bottom of the laptop wouldnt stay on because it was so hot the glue kept melting

And no word of a lie, for me to play Aces High on it, i had to use a metal grill thing from the kitchen to raise it off the desk, with the fan on pointing in its direction

That was the reason i didnt go for HP as im sure it is HP who own Compaq, so it put me off

what you needed was a cooling fan and a big one

something like this its what i have to use to run aces high on my wifes laptop

and it NEVER over heats with this thing under it
Former LTARkilz

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 10:49:16 AM »
And again, the backlit keyboard is great.

Yeah, I do a lot of typing in bed in the dark, so I know I would be missing keys with a brand-new laptop, still moving my fingers to where my old laptop keys were.  Also great for playing games in the dark.  Can't wait.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 01:20:35 PM »
I got the zantec z2000 laptop cooler and it works very nicely to keep my laptop cooler.  Gaming laptops run very hot so I would recommend getting one as well like kilz mentioned.  I finally broke after a year of use and got one.

I wouldnt buy a Alienware just because the fact that Dell owns them.  I have always hated Dell but that is just me.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:43:22 PM by Hoarach »
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
I wouldn't buy an Alienware period. The pricing is ridiculous. Through building your own computer you can put together a similar machine for nearly half the price (desktops).
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
I wouldn't buy an Alienware period. The pricing is ridiculous. Through building your own computer you can put together a similar machine for nearly half the price (desktops).

i would love to but i have never put a laptop together
Former LTARkilz