Author Topic: "Mighty Eighth" guys - lend me a hand?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
"Mighty Eighth" guys - lend me a hand?
« on: September 05, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »
Hello All:

I'm trying to help a German researcher mate of mine identify the USAAF aircraft involved in an air combat on December 5, 1944, around 1 pm.

A 262 pilot claimed to have shot down a B-17 in the area NW of Rheine airfield. So far as I can determine, it was B-24s raiding Muenster that day, with the 17s hitting Berlin. Not sure about the relevant routes to & from.

I'm trawling through MACRs, but given the possibility that the bomber may not have gone down (USAAF chronology on-line says no Libs were lost from the Muenster raid), is anyone aware of a bomber which was damaged by a jet at about the right place and time?

Cheers,

Scherf
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: "Mighty Eighth" guys - lend me a hand?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
Hello All:

I'm trying to help a German researcher mate of mine identify the USAAF aircraft involved in an air combat on December 5, 1944, around 1 pm.

A 262 pilot claimed to have shot down a B-17 in the area NW of Rheine airfield. So far as I can determine, it was B-24s raiding Muenster that day, with the 17s hitting Berlin. Not sure about the relevant routes to & from.

I'm trawling through MACRs, but given the possibility that the bomber may not have gone down (USAAF chronology on-line says no Libs were lost from the Muenster raid), is anyone aware of a bomber which was damaged by a jet at about the right place and time?

Cheers,

Scherf

check here.......

http://www.mightyeighth.org/

you might be able to find someone there with some helpful information.

good luck.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
Thanks for that - have narrowed it down a touch but still no clear answer.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
43-38693 of the 91st Bomb Group.

(Of course, that's based on the evidence to hand....)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:00:52 PM by Scherf »