Author Topic: Need a good joystick with built in rudder please help  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Viper0070

• Zinc Member
Need a good joystick with built in rudder please help
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Good Morning ..My Name Viper 007.  I just started flying Aces High 2 and I really enjoy it.  I bought a New Saitek X52 Pro for this Aces High 2 and it only lasted me 10 minutes before the X52 joy stick completely stopped working.  I sent it back to get my money back from the place I bought it from.  Here is my problem , I have Polio and I am stuck in my wheelchair.  I am unable to use foot pedals so that is why I bought the New Saitek X52 Pro.  Because it had the rudder in the joy stick.  I looked at CH products but they do not make it where the rudder is in the joy stick and I don't want another New Saitek X52 Pro because of all the problems they have.  So my question is there any other joysticks out there that are really good and have the rudder built in the joystick like the Saitek does? I thank you for any help you can give me with my problem.....Have a great week...Viper 007

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
Re: Need a good joystick with built in rudder please help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Hi Viper
There are lots of twisty sticks out there.. But are ya sure that you want to cast off the X52pro so soon?  Among the twisty sticks, they are considered pretty good, and have a large following in ths flight sim universe... They have all the neccesary buttons, and hats etc... There is always a bad one in the box, on the shelf somewhere, you found one... Lots of guys use them faithfully... Can't be all bad...

Welcome to the BBs

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
Another one is the Saitek X45, with the rudder built into the throttle, I like this better than a twisty stick.
The joystick spring tension is a bit stiff though. A lot of people use the Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, only $30,
but the reviews say it wears out fast. I have never tried it..Welcome to AH <S>

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
I'm using the Saitek X Cyborg stick...twisty stick for rudder...been using it since May with no problems. I actually like it better than my old Logitech Wingman 3D...lots of buttons and stuff...(even 2 blue LED's above the hatswitch). Spring tension is pretty good, very fast response.

Got mine from Amazon: Saitek PS38 Cyborg X Stick
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
Just did a check on the Saitek websight, It appears they don't make the X45 any more.
I also checked Ebay, there are a few there..There's some "clown" trying to sell one for $125
plus $25 for shipping or best offer. I bought my X45 off Ebay, paid $27 total for it..
But the X52 is a good HOTAS. Did you calibrate in Windows first and then calibrate in AH ???

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »
Good Morning ..My Name Viper 007.  I just started flying Aces High 2 and I really enjoy it.  I bought a New Saitek X52 Pro for this Aces High 2 and it only lasted me 10 minutes before the X52 joy stick completely stopped working.  I sent it back to get my money back from the place I bought it from.  Here is my problem , I have Polio and I am stuck in my wheelchair.  I am unable to use foot pedals so that is why I bought the New Saitek X52 Pro.  Because it had the rudder in the joy stick.  I looked at CH products but they do not make it where the rudder is in the joy stick and I don't want another New Saitek X52 Pro because of all the problems they have.  So my question is there any other joysticks out there that are really good and have the rudder built in the joystick like the Saitek does? I thank you for any help you can give me with my problem.....Have a great week...Viper 007

Funny, my X52's roll pots started throwing garbage counts out recently. I returned it for a new one. They sort of make junk, it seems. I never had that problem with the old Thrustmaster TopGun but find that stick ergonomically challenging.

Anyway, you could get a twisty stick. I use a logitech at my sister's house when I absolutely HAVE to play. I don't recommend it, though. Get yourself some pedals. I've got some CH Propedals at home that have worked well for years. I also have a CH Yoke (for when I'm flying big planes like the 38) that has been very reliable, if devoid of all the feel-good frippery of the Saitek garbage.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Viper0070

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
PJ_Godzilla i would get pedels but as i said above, i have Polio and i am stuck in my wheelchair un able to use my legs or feet......so pedels won't work for me......i want thank all of you for your Welcomes and for all your help with my problem's...i have a Logitech extream 3D Pro that i have used a little but its junk and does not work very well.  thats why i posted here looking for something better that will fit my needs.  Thanks again for replying to my post..you guys are great.....have a great week......Viper

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Welcome to the game  :salute
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
PJ_Godzilla i would get pedels but as i said above, i have Polio and i am stuck in my wheelchair un able to use my legs or feet......so pedels won't work for me......i want thank all of you for your Welcomes and for all your help with my problem's...i have a Logitech extream 3D Pro that i have used a little but its junk and does not work very well.  thats why i posted here looking for something better that will fit my needs.  Thanks again for replying to my post..you guys are great.....have a great week......Viper

Mea Culpa. I just broke one of my own rules: READ the post.

Anyway, the Logitech wingman wasn't bad, at least a couple of years ago.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
You might actually be better off getting a R/C radio chassis modified for computer input. Twisty sticks give unintended inputs and make accuracy very difficult whereas even a bad radio chassis will have potentiometers that make joysticks look foolish.

Cable adaptors are available here:

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=91
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:59:31 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
Whoa, let me get this straight.

You're using an RC box for your flying? It makes a joystick look silly?

I've got an old Kraft 4-channel sitting around. It's totally obsolete - roughly 30 y.o., but was quality when new. Could I adapt this over to my twisted purpose?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »
Viper an alternative for rudder control is a throttle quadrant. You could map one of the levers to your rudder. Saitek has one for around $50 and CH has one for about $100.

If you decide to exclusively fly P-38s you could get a flight yoke and quadrant.   :devil

You'll probably want to get your stick and quadrant from the same manufacturer if you're going to use their software for programming.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »
Viper,

Hello and welcome to AHII,you might want to take the suggestion from Coltomb and look around for a used X45,the throttle has a rocker switch that can be mapped to rudder and pretty easy to use.

You could also use the Ch throttle which has a hatswitch that could be mapped like the X45.I wish I knew more about how th RC box setup worked as that also sounds like another viable option for your needs.

I also had probs with the twist axis on my X52 but thats been the only problem I've ever had with it and it's around 5 years old.I'd stay away from the logitech stuff,as you know since you have 1 but for the most part even the cheaper saitek sticks seem to last alot longer than the logijunks do.

So if $$$ is a problem maybe an inexpensive saitek would do atleast until you find a suitable alternative.

Once you get setup and ready come see me in the TA some time and I'll gladly help with any problem you might be having.

:salute

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »
Viper, I was checking out the Saitek Cyborg X online. That thing has all kinds of buttons, it's adjustable, and best of all
it has duel throttles, a real turning advantage when flying twin engine aircraft.  

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
Welcome to the game!  This is what I've been using for the last few months....

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=153&PlatformID=5

Its worked flawlessly....

<S>

Grind