Author Topic: Good news...the economy is actually picking up.  (Read 599 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Good news...the economy is actually picking up.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
Didnt mean to bring down your post Hajo, glad to hear things are picking up in your line of work. It is definatly a good sign that things may be turning around.  :aok

The "death" of Bethlehem Steel just gets me a little worked up.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:20 PM »
I am the purchasing agent for a company that makes lifts for A/V equipment. 
I have had a hard time with the mills shutting down, and with them merging.  We used some channel that is now no longer available as it was dropped from the catalog by the remaining mills.  I now have to have heavy sheet custom cut and bent to keep us in production.  This has happened several times in the past year, forcing us to do design changes on the equipment we produce, that are not for the better.  It also increases our costs at a time when we can't afford to have a price increase.
So our already slim margin is reduced, and we had to reduce staff even though sales as a whole have not gone down so much.  If we close our doors, the A/V industry will suffer, as ours is the only company that will do custom work, and builds lifts that handle loads over 50lbs in continual service.  In turn, it will hurt architects and contractors who will then have very limited options in designing and building media space.  So everyone will get small, boring cookie-cutter media rooms and convention centers with limited capabilities, not to mention auditoriums and churches, even Disney World uses our equipment.
The demand will not be high enough for someone to invest the time and capital to replace our company, as the limited market would make the investment risk too high.  Our competitors (of which there are only 3, with one getting out of the lift business to pursue other products) would not expand their production capacity for the same reason. So it really becomes a "for lack of a nail" situation. The A/V industry is hard hit right now with a lot of the smaller dealers and contractors going under, which is in turn hurting our sales as it reduces the outlet for our products, so we are getting hit from the other end as well.
Apply the same scenario to other industries, and you end up with Soviet bread lines.
I don't think people really understand the ripple effect that things like mill closings have on the economy as a whole.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »
Wait.  Things are getting better? Shee_iite. I recall the right wing pundits in this forum
adamantly stating that the economy was booming and that all the talk of a recession
was just the liberal media trying to sell more newspapers.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
Wait.  Things are getting better? Shee_iite. I recall the right wing pundits in this forum
adamantly stating that the economy was booming and that all the talk of a recession

Boy did you miss the boat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »

:rofl
Time's fun when you're having flies.