Author Topic: 3 HE tank rounds to kill one town building  (Read 1298 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
3 HE tank rounds to kill one town building
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
I was in a Sherman at an nme town and killing buildings when I noticed it was taking me 3 HE rounds to drop one building.

Granted, i'm not much of a tanker, but I coulda sworn it only took two HE rounds in a tank to drop a single town building.

Link to Film MegaUpload
Link to Film FileFactory
Link to Film RapidShare
Link to Film SpeedyShare

Did this change at some point?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
Re: 3 HE tank rounds to kill one town building
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
It might have changed I remember that it use to take two HE. I don't know though.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
shermans take 3 HE rounds  panzer, tiger t34/85 takes 2. Don't know about the  t34/76. Place 1 round between adjacent buildings usually get both saves ammo. Hope this helped.  :salute
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:35:35 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/guns/guns.htm

Town building hardness is 250lbs, IIRC.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:53:26 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:41:45 PM »
sherman HE has always been weak compared to the 2 rounds for most other tanks.

I've always wondered why this is the case because the AP round will "Blow the bloody doors off"  every other tank   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/guns/guns.htm

Town building hardness is 250lbs, IIRC.

Riddle me this then.

250lbs to kill a town bld.  The trainer page shows the 3" HE round as being equivalent to 140.6lbs in ord.

2 x 140.6 = 281.2

According to that (and my memory) two HE rounds from a Sherman should kill a town building.

So something is wrong here.

Town building hardness is off or the Shermans HE rounds is not 140.6lbs worth of ord.

When I was at the town last night (I forget if this is in the film or not) I would use the Main Gun machine gun and IT would kill the building right after the second round ish.  So give/take 20-40lbs of bullets (i'd have to go back and count).

That being the case, it would put the Sherman HE rounds closer to 120 lbs equiv. which to me sounds way off.

Could someone who checks these things check this please and make sure it isn't just me?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:07:05 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
Well, don't try an M8,  :rofl :rofl

Let me give a hint, Don't shoot any building twice if it's close to another building. Shoot one building and then the one next to it. Often that will take both buildings down.

Wmlute, are you trying a new aspect of the game? Just curious. I know you've been around a good long while.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
Let me give a hint, Don't shoot any building twice if it's close to another building. Shoot one building and then the one next to it. Often that will take both buildings down.

Wmlute, are you trying a new aspect of the game? Just curious. I know you've been around a good long while.

Not in a Sherman it won't.

I occasionally tank.  I usually use an Osti for town killing purposes but I ended up tracked in an nme town last night and that was when I noticed this.  (I was there for revenge on an nme tank that killed my osti last hop)
— George Patton

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
The Sherman HE round is still rated 140.6 lbs (0.1406 x 1000 lbs), I just did a offline test to verify that.

However, by looking at the objects list in offline mode I found that the standard value for Town is 0.3125 = 312.5 x1000lbs.

So yes, the Sherman Firelfy needs 3 hits to kill a town building
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Sc00ter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
I was in a Sherman at an nme town and killing buildings when I noticed it was taking me 3 HE rounds to drop one building.

Granted, i'm not much of a tanker, but I coulda sworn it only took two HE rounds in a tank to drop a single town building.

Link to Film MegaUpload
Link to Film FileFactory
Link to Film RapidShare
Link to Film SpeedyShare

Did this change at some point?

Use the perked T34. It only takes 2 rounds and if you shoot the building next to those that just blew up it only takes 1 round. OK there's my secret for dropping town with 1 T34.  :salute
No Fat Chicks on this Sc00ter

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
Use and LVT, 1.5 rounds per building. IE 3 rounds two buildings, just hit the edge closest to the second building on your second shot and put the third in the second building. Badda Boom.
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »
lvt is the best town buster.  75 mm with a fast rate of fire  :aok
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
i always thought it was like 1 0r 1
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »
lvt is the best town buster.  75 mm with a fast rate of fire  :aok

Naaw... the Ostwind.  Highest rate of fire for the 37mm in a GV, and loads of ammo.  2 Osties can knock down a town by themselves in under 5 minutes.  If you use the hull MG on the gun batteries,  just one can take 100% of a town down.  

Town Building requires 250lbs of explosives to take down.  Ostwind 37mm = 15.6 lbs of explosives.  So, it takes 16 shots with the ostwind to take down a building... not taking into account that some buildings will be damaged next to the one you are shooting.

Town has 53 buildings in it.  Ostwind has 1000 rounds of 37mm.  So...  1000 rounds / 16 rounds per building = 62.5 buildings worth of "boom boom". This gives you plenty of ammo to wreck a town, and take out the auto guns, and still have your hull MG as a backup.  And... with the rate of fire on the 37mm at 480 rpm...  this makes the time to take down a town in a SINGLE ostwind (assuming you dont have to move and re-aim, and you expend ALL your ammo)... just over 2 minutes.  Taking into account that you have to move, re-aim, some shots will miss, etc...  Lets say 5 minutes.  And that is with ONE Ostwind.  Never seen it done in that time, as you usually end up having to dodge opponents... but it "could" be done.  

Never... never... let an opponents ostwind into your town.

AKA: Homewrecker
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:41:52 PM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
It is actually 20 rounds to kill a town building in an Osti. 

(yeah I count 'em)

Which confirms what Snail said about a town building needing 312.5 lbs to drop it.

But yes that is what I take to drop towns and am rarely in a tank to attack a town hence my ingonrance on the subject.

If i'm in a Sherman it's usually to attack other tanks.  I use the Osti for towns.
— George Patton