Author Topic: Bombsight Calibration  (Read 601 times)

Offline Rider

• Zinc Member
Bombsight Calibration
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:25 AM »
So what is the correct method of calibration?  I read in a recent post about clicking on your target on the clipboard to set the target altitude and to hold the sight on a stationary target while holding the "Y" key.  I had never heard those two aspects before.  I know F6, U, Y, U, done.  Is there more to it than that?

Thanks,
SKRider

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bombsight Calibration
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:23:32 AM »
So what is the correct method of calibration?  I read in a recent post about clicking on your target on the clipboard to set the target altitude and to hold the sight on a stationary target while holding the "Y" key. 

That's the old calibration method, used occasionally in scenarios and AvA arena.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
My method:

climb to desired alt

hit X

open bomb bay doors

open E6b

wait till climb=0 (if target is way off, wait till it drops on its own, if nearer adjust speed)

calibrate

drop from level flight (X)

If you have to turn after calibration, makes sure climb has settled back to 0 before dropping

thats the way I do it - I'm not a low alt bomber though, 15k for bases/strats, 8k for cvs so that may be different
Game ID: Blimey

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »
So what is the correct method of calibration?  I know F6, U, Y, U, done.

You're doing it correctly.  

The biggest variable to accurately bombing that I've seen is varying your speed.  

When you calibrate the sight, it's calibrated for the speed you're flying at that moment.  If you alter your speed, your bombs will miss.  If you calibrate at 160mph, but then allow speed to increase as you maintain level flight, your bombs will hit long.  If you slow due to a hard turn, and then drop, your bombs will hit short.  If you drop some bombs, and then turn the plane around from the pilots seat for a second pass, (altering your speed in the process) you're not likely to hit anything.

I don't believe altitude matters much, if at all, or whether the ground level changes, because the bombsite angles forward based on speed, which automatically triggers you to drop earlier for a lower target.  I could be mistaken there, but it never effected me much.

For best accuracy, climb to your desired altitude, and ideally reach your desired altitude about 1 sector from your target, so you have plenty of time.  Once at altitude, you need to allow the plane to settle in to it's cruising speed.  Speed will increase in level flight, if you stay at full throttle, and used full throttle to climb.  Once you're at altitude, and in level flight, don't steer from the pilots seat anymore.  Doing so will generally result in changes of pitch, and steeper-than-desired bank, so will effect your speed.  It's much better to limit steering from that point on to using rudder to steer from a gunners position.  Open your bomb bay doors, so drag doesn't increase after you calibrate resulting in a shift in speed.

I like to open the E6B and keep an eye on the speed, while steering (with rudder) from the nose gunners position.  Once speed has stabilized, which will take a few minutes, you can calibrate.  If you do anything to change you speed, you'll need to re-calibrate.  I like to calibrate as close to the drop as possible, to eliminate that problem.  Enemy fighters can be a problem if you do that, but 90% or more of those can be eliminated by flying right under the cloud layer.

From the nose gunner position, you can also do most of the lining up on the target, so it's just a matter of fine-tuning your aim with the bombsight.

Once you pass your target, if you need to turn around and make another run fly past the target for about 1/4 sector, and turn back using the rudder only, from a gunner position.  This will keep your altitude the same.  Also, watch the E6B while doing that, so you don't turn tight enough to alter your speed.  Your drones will easily stay with you if you do it right.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
mntman  :aok

Great explanation.
<S>

KlunK

Offline Florian

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:46:55 AM »
How much does the length of time you calibrate affect the accuracy of the drop?  It would seem that maintaining speed and altitude would be the primary factors and at some point there is a "maximum" time necessary for best calibration.  For example, does it make any difference if you calibrate for 5 seconds, 30 seconds or 30 minutes?  Will the drop be any more accurate after calibrating for 30 minutes than it would have been for 5 seconds... assuming all other factors are the same?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:58:21 AM »
turn from the bombidier's chair.  really makes things a breeze.  slow turn, but very nice.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
How much does the length of time you calibrate affect the accuracy of the drop?  It would seem that maintaining speed and altitude would be the primary factors and at some point there is a "maximum" time necessary for best calibration.  For example, does it make any difference if you calibrate for 5 seconds, 30 seconds or 30 minutes?  Will the drop be any more accurate after calibrating for 30 minutes than it would have been for 5 seconds... assuming all other factors are the same?

anywhere from say 10, 20, 30 seconds would be more accurate instead of holding it for say: 2, 3 or 5 seconds........

holding it longer than 30 seconds, ( my honest opinion ) , will not be of benefit........

holding for say 8 to 10 seconds should be plenty most times though....... again MHO
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
I fly AR234's all the time and they are notoriously fickle when it comes to calibration.

I just happen to know that if I've properly planned my flight I will arrive at my target at my preferred altitude at 415 mph tgs.  For this plane, which continues to accelerate forever, I begin calibration about two sectors from my target at about 412 mph.  I may have to calibrate 3, 5 or even 10 or more times before I get a calibration reading of 415.  I generally hold the calibration key for 8-10 seconds and my calibrated speeds will range wildly from 408-419 mph.  I've never been able to get a more consistant reading by holding the calibration key any longer than 10 seconds.  As long as the calibrated reading is showing the same tgs as your E6B (or your estimated speed at arrival) then there's no benefit to calibrating any longer.

Any other bomber is much much easier to calibrate than the AR234.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.