Author Topic: Perked USAAF plane?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: Perked USAAF plane?
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I usually dont. With my break, I lost almost all ability to tell when it was time to leave :devil.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »
We all know the P-38 is the best plane and the P-51H would be turned into this
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
Makes one wonder if the P-51H was such an improvement over the P-51D, why was it not considered suitable for combat in Korea?  Hint, it was not because of the greater availability of the D Mustang.

Also, imagine if the plans for the P-51L were carried out with the V-1650-11 engine with a Stromberg speed/density injection-type carburetor and was rated at a peak power of 2270 hp with water injection.  Sadly, the order for 1700 were cancelled and not one was ever built.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
(image removed)

The P-38 is a great plane. Just because it's 100 mph slower than the P-51H doesn't mean squat... :rofl

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
     Strange, from your earlier posts, I wouldn' think you'd have to "run" from
anything :rolleyes:

Rino that went Hi alt and was missed!!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

It did however crack me up. :aok

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Best plane my ass. If its YOU'RE best plane then fine, but really, its not the BEST. It's best at certian things, but not even close to everything.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »
Makes one wonder if the P-51H was such an improvement over the P-51D, why was it not considered suitable for combat in Korea?  Hint, it was not because of the greater availability of the D Mustang.

Also, imagine if the plans for the P-51L were carried out with the V-1650-11 engine with a Stromberg speed/density injection-type carburetor and was rated at a peak power of 2270 hp with water injection.  Sadly, the order for 1700 were cancelled and not one was ever built.

ack-ack

Sadly indeed. It's a conspiracy  :noid.....

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
The P-38 is a great plane. Just because it's 100 mph slower than the P-51H doesn't mean squat... :rofl

The P-51H was capable of 542MPH?   :rofl
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »

Best plane my ass. If its YOU'RE best plane then fine, but really, its not the BEST. It's best at certian things, but not even close to everything.

P-38 was a jack of all trades.  While it was not a master in one particular area, it was good in all areas.

ack-ack

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
The P-51H was capable of 542MPH?   :rofl

And you claim the P-38 could do 442 mph? Not in this game it can't. Try again, and yes, I was exaggerating for clarity, and perhaps a little fun.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »
And you claim the P-38 could do 442 mph? Not in this game it can't. Try again, and yes, I was exaggerating for clarity, and perhaps a little fun.

Edit: Savage beat me to it with more accurate info.

*shakes fist at Savage*

ack-ack
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:29:07 PM by Ack-Ack »

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »

Yes, the P-38L-5-Lo could reach 442MPH in level flight at critical altitude, as per the Lockheed spec, with the Lockheed/Allison factory tune up, 72" MAP and 3400 RPM. Not a claim, but rather a fact, according to Lockheed engineer Warren Bodie, author of "The Lockheed P-38 Lightning", and he has the Lockheed test papers. The P-38L in the game operates only at "military power" and not War Emergency Power as modeled in AH II, the military power setting in the game is incorrect, and the War Emergency Power setting in the game is actually military power for the -30 Allisons in the P-38L.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
If this is the case why hasn't the "proof" made it to HTC?

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
If this is the case why hasn't the "proof" made it to HTC?

I'm sure it has. However, the USAAF, at least on paper, did not use the Lockheed/Allison settings. As such, HTC chose not to use them either.

SaVaGe

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
The only 20mm armed P-51 was the Allison equipped Mustang Mk1 optimized for low altitude flying.

Its performance was hardly note worthy, as it looked and behaved more like a P-40.

As far as I know anyway, also I am not aware of any field mods but dont have much data on that.

You mean a plane that had only one official prototype built? With no known pictures existing....

Actually the British took the very first Mustang Mk.I into trials and found it to be lacking above medium altitude but superior even to the Spitfire at low altitudes. Of course that was early on and the Spitfire went on to evolve further. It would be very interesting in the mid and late war arenas.

North American was first approached by the British to build Spitfires and Atwood purchased the plans and rights from Curtiss for $50000 but Kindelberger acting on his own initiative offered the British a new design to be constructed within 100-120 days (with quite a bit of latitude allowed). The result came in 117 days and was so very similar to the Curtiss XP-46 project that Curtiss was calling foul and there has been wild speculations ever since. History is a pretty good indication that it was all untrue in that the XP-46 was a failure and the XP-51 Apache (the first ever USAAF designation) was a brilliant success.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.