Author Topic: Kill Thieves  (Read 5720 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Kill Thieves
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:22:28 AM »
So, there I am Saturday, flying my D-9 in a Furball. I'm making out all right, using pitch/roll maneuvers to get on enemy sixes and avoid enemy attackers.

There was one Pony I'd been after for some time. I'd fired on him once and chased him on a couple of different passes.

He was moving in what appeared to be a dive opposite and below my direction of travel so I split-essed down onto his ass. I realized he was missing his elevators right around the same time an accuser who removed said tail-feathers loudly stated "that P-51 is down. It's my kill. Leave him alone. You've got a Yak on your tail. You can kill him."

Now, it was never my intent to steal the kill and while the 51 appeared wounded, he was still lit and, until closer observation revealed the nature of the damage, could easily have still been a threat.

My questions:

1. is kill-stealing actually a problem?
2. What's up with the proximity kill? I recently watched a P-47, in his attempt to evade me, auger. I was awarded a kill even though I had not shot him down; had merely been the cause of his evasive maneuvering.

I evaded the Yak, btw, with a simple series of rolls - then killed some guy name SnoopDog twice in the same day.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Kill Thieves
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »

1. is kill-stealing actually a problem?

Guys who will out-and-out shoot a falling wreck are rare. Most of the time it happens it will be an accident. Friendlies deciding to "pile-on" that bandit in your 12 are less rare unfortunately.

2. What's up with the proximity kill? I recently watched a P-47, in his attempt to evade me, auger. I was awarded a kill even though I had not shot him down; had merely been the cause of his evasive maneuvering.

An opponent made to crash during the course of combat maneuvering is a fair kill, by WWII standards too. If there were no proxies, anyone could avoid giving you an earned kill simply by augering. Of course, if someone else has any lead at all in the bandit, they will get the kill instead of the guy who was merely closest.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
Most of the time it happens it will be an accident.

I agree with you on that, there are only a few people so desperate that they have to chase a plane that is very obviously down.  As I see it, if that plane can still aim and shoot, it's a threat.  It especially bugs me when a plane is burning and someone wants you to leave it alone, I know I've done damage before while I was burning.  I don't think it really happens too much, you just can't let it get to you.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
So, there I am Saturday, flying my D-9 in a Furball. I'm making out all right, using pitch/roll 1. is kill-stealing actually a problem?

no

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
no

Pssh I've knocked planes out of the sky before and had people shoot it on the way down a lot. The worst is when I'm in a K4, all you need is one bullet to knock a wing off but that noob spixteen behind me will follow it down and blow it up.... I wouldn't saw no to it being a problem because it does happen.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »
A burning bomber is really the only time I get upset with thieves..........  Especially if it's not over target.  You have a 24 burning up, 2 still fine, and the newb comes and starts raking into the flamer.  WTF?

A fighter that's on fire can still kill me and my friends......... I say that is fair game.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
I have several opinions on this matter:

1) I view this as a team sport.......and a war.

2) In crowded...close proximity fighting.......nobody's got a claim... you kill whatever you can...however you can...so they don't kill your nearby team mates.

3) I don't give a flying freak about my score........never have never will.

4) Anyone who whines about "that was my kill" should get the hell out of the war ... and jump into the dueling forum.

5) If I'm working on some enemy for 4 minutes........and a guy on my team swoops in and finished him off.......I'll thank him.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:25:13 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
A burning bomber is really the only time I get upset with thieves..........  

^^^^^^^^

I also concur with this....

if it's a roman candle burning..........then you're just a selfish hoe....leave it alone.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:27:07 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
I have several opinions on this matter:

1) I view this as a team sport.......and a war.

2) In crowded...close proximity fighting.......nobody's got a claim... you kill whatever you can...however you can...so they don't kill your nearby team mates.

3) I don't give a flying freek about my score........never have never will.

4) Anyone who wines about "that was my kill" should get the hell out of the war ... and jump into the dueling forum.

5) If I'm working on some enemy for 4 minutes........and a guy on my team swoops in and finished him off.......I'll thank him.

When a con is dead... no wing or tail and falling. Would you shoot him?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
When a con is dead... no wing or tail and falling. Would you shoot him?

hell no.....as I stated above.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
hell no.....as I stated above.

I did not see where you stated that. I only saw all your other statements which would lead to that question.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
just ask before you jump in. folks seem to forget that we're all in different stages of experience levels. some guys want the help, others do not. just ask your fellow countryman if he needs a hand. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
wondering how many times those of us here also were told "leave him..he's dead".......so we do.......and said dead aircraft shoots you in the face.

It pisses me off.......but I figure it's common courtesy.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
just ask before you jump in. folks seem to forget that we're all in different stages of experience levels. some guys want the help, others do not. just ask your fellow countryman if he needs a hand. :salute

I agree... however zeta states otherwise. That is why I asked him the above question.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
this is sound advice...and the polite way to be.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"