Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53763 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have flown a 38, u i seem like its  very stable gun platform
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »
Duel throttles will not give someone an edge in the P-38, in other words, you will not win the fight because of duel throttles.  It does not 'increase' the maneuverability of the P-38 and is only useful in a few situations like pulling off really nice looking hammerheads, help recover in certain spin situations and it increases the immersion factor and that's pretty much it.

ack-ack

In a closely matched vertical fight that "hammerhead" can be all the difference in the world, and if perfected will matter immensley there-bye possibly making dual throttle control a GREAT advantage  IMO  :aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »
I get that complaint a lot from players I shoot down and the honest answer is because that's all it took to shoot them down.  Why dazzle the other guy with complex maneuvers when it only takes a simple and basic tactic to shoot them down?  It's also a very fatal mistake on yours and other player's if they think that the Rope-A-Dope is the only maneuver us veteran pilots know.

Lusche, I get that. but this is less about good sticks, as it is about good sticks using a the same move over and over. Well it seems to me, because that's how I keep getting whacked. So I'm posting this to see if others experiencing same one trick death, or I'm the only guy who can't figure out how not get roped by a good 38 pilot.

ack-ack

i had to highlight that quote from vink.

p38 drivers do not use the rope endlessly. some of us use it more often, but we also keep changing our fighting.

what it sounds like is happening, is that the 38 driver is seeing rookie moves from you, realizing you're gonna follow him, and does this.

you should hit the TA, and hook up with a trainer......or just jump in a 38. you'll find it fun.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
WOW!  6 pages in ~2 hours.  So the next question is whether or not B-38 drivers are BBS addicts or if the BBS makes you a B-38 addict.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2009, 12:45:59 PM »
WOW!  6 pages in ~2 hours.  So the next question is whether or not B-38 drivers are BBS addicts or if the BBS makes you a B-38 addict.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   is just finishing up lunch break.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »

I was flying the 38 well before I ever signed on to these boards. Soooooo......  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
In a closely matched vertical fight that "hammerhead" can be all the difference in the world, and if perfected will matter immensley there-bye possibly making dual throttle control a GREAT advantage  IMO  :aok

Having flown with both a duel and single throttle, the duel throttle will not give anyone an advantage over someone not using one.  Like I said, you're not going to win a fight because you had a duel throttle and you're not going to lose a fight because you used a single throttle.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
Hasn't worked for you has it?  

ack-ack

Yes it has.  It take you more times to try to pick me.  Granted you end up getting me.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »
Vinkman you can map select engine1, select engine2, and select all engines to your stick or throttle if you want the effect of twin throttles. It's not as efficient but it will let you play with the P-38 hammerhead and stall recovery.

BTW are you the Vinkman from the early days of AW?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
No he used to chase ghosts when they were all the rage :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
Vinkman you can map select engine1, select engine2, and select all engines to your stick or throttle if you want the effect of twin throttles. It's not as efficient but it will let you play with the P-38 hammerhead and stall recovery.

BTW are you the Vinkman from the early days of AW?

that'll only help him bleed his e much faster. tried it with that being the only result.

rudders work wonders sometimes.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2009, 01:24:11 PM »
Sounds like someone found themselves getting burned with a Rope-A-Dope.

ack-ack

Is that a revelation? I think I was very clear about  getting are arses handed to us by 38 pilots, myself at the top of the list.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
  Got Three kills with a P-38L yesterday. Two were Gv's. I have trouble hitting moving GV's in a FW 190 but the 38 is very stable to fly. Many will drive the p-38 BNZ and pick the runways.  Very few I think can mix it up in a dogfight with an agile plane and a good stick.
   :aok :aok P-38 two thumbs up.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
Cap1 you seriously think you'll lose E during the rotation on a hammerhead or while stopping a spin?   :rofl

Did you think you have to pick throttle or rudder instead of using both together?   :huh

You tried this once and it didn't work for you?   :cry

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »

i've been roped by ponys, la's, 38's 47's 109's and others..........it is a very valid tactic. not a rookie move.

Pulling vertical is valid for experts who know when to do it. But wouldn't you agree that it's usually one of the first moves a rookie tries because he is unaware of his potential to be a slow moving sitting duck at the top of a half of the loop?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:45:46 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?