Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53741 times)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »
Vinkman, I think your underestimating how advantageous the neutral torque is.

Watch this film. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tdqfrmjwiyo

A P-51 droped on my six while I had to dodge the diving enemy 38. I'm pretty much dead where I stand at point, so I went for a last ditch move that only a 38 can do so effortlessly. At 180 mph I stuck the nose straight up hoping that even though the 51 had about 15 mph over me, he wouldn't be able to hold the move as long. We both stall out at about the same time, except he stalled at 50 mph and I held it to 13 mph. At that point all that was needed was a simple hammerhead over for the kill. The only reason that worked was because of the difference in torque.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:38:22 PM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »
People never learn...the B38 is simply and utterly uber. Case closed.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »
This is currently installed in my 38J

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL  I guess you need two blenders in case one of them gets shot out.  Right?  Isn't that the way you B-38 ppl think? 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »
Well, if you love fly the P-38 and good at it.  GREAT!  And if being a member is to love flying it and kill other with it.  Have at it.  

I do have to say that flying a P-38 is not like flying a spit nor trying to fly a 190 effectively.  It take a whole different approach to fly it.  :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
ya.....i've taken shots that as i lined em up and fired, almost instantly, i thought  " o crap, i just lost this fight". this because i realized a little too late, that i gave up any advantage i had to get that quick shot.

patience is a virtue.

Torquelessness can only do so much when you're bucking disadvantages in basic wing-loading and thrust/weight. And at the usual fight altitudes in the LW arena the 38 isn't particularly fast either...so surviving your typical furball mix of extremely fast planes and hyper-modeled cannon-spewing dragonflies (that are often enough all too happy to swap-ends and HO if you *do* gain a firing position behind the 3/9) is not exactly "easy mode" flying.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »
Well, if you love fly the P-38 and good at it.  GREAT!  And if being a member is to love flying it and kill other with it.  Have at it.  

I do have to say that flying a P-38 is not like flying a spit nor trying to fly a 190 effectively.  It take a whole different approach to fly it.  :salute

you missed part of it.

many many(if not all) of us don't give a dam about killing. me personally......if i have a good fun fight.....it's obviously a little more fun if i win.......but if i lose? who cares? the planes are relatively cheap, and i had fun. FUN is the important part of this equation.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »
Vinkman, I think your underestimating how advantageous the neutral torque is.

Watch this film. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tdqfrmjwiyo

A P-51 droped on my six while I had to dodge the diving enemy 38. I'm pretty much dead where I stand at point, so I went for a last ditch move that only a 38 can do so effortlessly. At 180 mph I stuck the nose straight up hoping that even though the 51 had about 15 mph over me, he wouldn't be able to hold the move as long. We both stall out at about the same time, except he stalled at 50 mph and I held it to 13 mph. At that point all that was needed was a simple hammerhead over for the kill. The only reason that worked was because of the difference in torque.

Fine kill, Cactus.

The 51 went up with you with far too much(full!) flaps in.  In fact, on the dive before you went up, he had too much flaps in which impeded his ability to build E. You did a fine job of capitalizing on this error  <S>
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
you missed part of it.

many many(if not all) of us don't give a dam about killing. me personally......if i have a good fun fight.....it's obviously a little more fun if i win.......but if i lose? who cares? the planes are relatively cheap, and i had fun. FUN is the important part of this equation.

Thats cool.  But what about the handing it part?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

BTW are you the Vinkman from the early days of AW?

One and the same. I used to fly AW back in '95 for about a year then had to give it up. Just got discovered AH in April or may I think. This is a huge improvement. What was your handle in the AW days?

Back then my handle was FLS but I was after your time.

Thud just dug this up and we were looking at it yesterday on the Muskie list server and I'd noticed your handle.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.air-warrior/browse_thread/thread/d9d2d457b8d5701f/8cfcea6337bf034d?q=airwarrior+campaign+results#8cfcea6337bf034

Dual throttles are a huge advantage which is why the SAPP guys all use them and lie about it.    :devil

Seriously, as I said earlier, try the Hammerhead and stall/spin recovery. Try them with one engine and with two and make up your own mind.    :salute

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
I love it how guys who say this have invariably spent hours getting really lethal in their favorite plane...admit it, you're in this for the Schadenfreude just like me.

you missed part of it.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2009, 04:07:24 PM »
I love it how guys who say this have invariably spent hours getting really lethal in their favorite plane...admit it, you're in this for the Schadenfreude just like me.

i spend my time learnign to survive a fight.

i average less then 50 hours a month. in fact, i think i'm in the 30 hour range this month...and that's high.

and i don't know what schadenfreude is/means?

i forgot...i'm highly talented at landing too.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:17:18 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »
funny thread. we're just THAT uber, thanks for noticing.

edit: Aww, i'm not that uber...4.7 K/D in the PJ.  :(

wtg 8:1 K/Ders  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:22:51 PM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
38s suck
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
See that last picture CAP posted?  You see all those tracers?  Those aren't ack rounds. Those are actually flying out of CAP's 38's butt.   

Does that answer the k/d question?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:26:27 PM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla