Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53757 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
Just on principle I got to point that truth is not determined by a show of hands.

He flies the Mossi...compared to that the 38 IS easy-mode. :aok

Hmm I found the mossie pretty easy personally. As is the A20.
Just checked.. he doesn't fly much does he.

Show of hands is generally folks saying what their experience is. Nothing more... nothing less. Like I said.... he must be lonely on that bench.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2009, 07:06:16 PM »
Quite the opposite.  The P-38 is so easy to hit with and is tough enough to take a bit of thumping that when you put people in a brawl while they don't really know what they are doing, it comes out much better.  Yes, Spitfires IX, VIII and XVI will do better as will the N1K2-J, but I can't think of any other fighter that is as easy as the P-38.  I am no expert sim-pilot like some here, but the P-38 has what is needed for beginners.  I know P-38 drivers in this game like to talk themselves up as the best of the best doing well in a dog, but it just ain't so.

You're doing well in the next best thing to a Spitfire.

I'm sorry but a new pilot or even an average or veteran pilot that doesn't know how to use the flaps, rudders and throttle properly in conjunction with each other will not be very successful in the Lightning or doesn't know the limitations/weaknesses or strengths of the P-38 will not be all that successful and will find it tough to fly the P-38.  

The P-38 is not a plane for new or inexperienced players that are hoping to be competitive at the start, especially if they angles fight.  The only area in which a new or inexperienced player that is starting to fly the P-38 may enjoy some amount of success is if they fly the Lightning using Energy fighting tactics like Boom and Zoom where they don't have to worry about turning with the bandit.  If a new or inexperienced player hopping in a P-38 tries to turn fight with a Spitfire without a good grasp how fly a P-38 in an angles fight situation, the P-38 driver won't last very long.

I've always said that the P-38 is a plane for those that are at least at the medium skill level or greater to be able to take full advantage of what the Lightning is capable of.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Most pee 38 drivers fly in pairs.
Was this mentioned in this thread? Sorry I didn't want to read all of it.
Why did the original author use so many scientific terms on a simple tactic that can just be called the rope? Don't follow. This holds true for ANY plane with a higher E state.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
Interesting take on the 38..... the bench your sitting on is lonely isn't it.

What do you fly? I don't ever remember seeing you in the arena.

a lazyboy.  :rofl :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
I'm sorry but a new pilot or even an average or veteran pilot that doesn't know how to use the flaps, rudders and throttle properly in conjunction with each other will not be very successful in the Lightning or doesn't know the limitations/weaknesses or strengths of the P-38 will not be all that successful and will find it tough to fly the P-38.  

The P-38 is not a plane for new or inexperienced players that are hoping to be competitive at the start, especially if they angles fight.  The only area in which a new or inexperienced player that is starting to fly the P-38 may enjoy some amount of success is if they fly the Lightning using Energy fighting tactics like Boom and Zoom where they don't have to worry about turning with the bandit.  If a new or inexperienced player hopping in a P-38 tries to turn fight with a Spitfire without a good grasp how fly a P-38 in an angles fight situation, the P-38 driver won't last very long.

I've always said that the P-38 is a plane for those that are at least at the medium skill level or greater to be able to take full advantage of what the Lightning is capable of.

ack-ack

Did you mean know how to press ten buttons on the joy/throttle on their desk at precisely the right time and order?  :confused:
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2009, 07:24:44 PM »
Did you mean know how to press ten buttons on the joy/throttle on their desk at precisely the right time and order?  :confused:
actually, my flaps are on a single button.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
    So much knowledge for such little experience  :rolleyes:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »

When to deploy or retract flaps, when to give more throttle or decrease throttle so you don't ever speed in a nose low turn, how to use your rudders in conjuction with your flaps to turn tighter.  How to dive at high speeds, riding the edge of compressability while keeping control of the Lightning.  Now, if you think you can fly the P-38 as well as any experienced Lightning driver in the game, I will be more than willing to show you how incorrect you are.  We can do a series of 1v1 P-38 fights and I will guarantee that you will not survive past the 2nd turn after the merge.

I am not saying it's a hard plane to fly but it's not an easy plane either for someone that is new or inexperienced or even for a veteran player that doesn't know how to 'fly' the Lightning.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »
Cheater
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »
There is a reason the Germans called them "Forked-Tailed Devil"
The Werchmant guys referred to them as FTD cause of teh bombas.  Not the Luftwafffe guys.  I have a question on the P38 in AH:

1) Has it undergone a FM makeover since it was first introduced?  I used to fly it back in the early days and that thought it pretty much sucked.  Then I took some time off around 2005 and when I came back late 2007..maybe early 08, the damned thing flew like a dream.  I know I didnt get any better.....thought it was odd.

The only reason I ask is that I would like the 51s to get a similar rewrite if the 38 did in fact get one.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
Maybe they do in LW...just cause there are so many of them.  In MW they tend to fly alone because nobody likes them  :aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »
Was this mentioned in this thread? Sorry I didn't want to read all of it.
Why did the original author use so many scientific terms on a simple tactic that can just be called the rope? Don't follow. This holds true for ANY plane with a higher E state.

The 82nd does. We train in Elements and working in pairs. Two 38s that are experienced will cause havok for a bandit or several.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »
Maybe they do in LW...just cause there are so many of them.  In MW they tend to fly alone because nobody likes them  :aok

and if ya watch the 200 text in mw, you'll see i have much more than my share of P.A.H.'s.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
Wingmen, or bait. What ever works for me.
This is a test

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
Wingmen, or bait. What ever works for me.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  is bait
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"