Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53776 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »
yes i have read a lot, it is a very interesting aircraft.  i wont debate it's quality with you as it was clearly effective.  

i will state that my comments are more on the lines of ...

in these video games the p38 will surprise you more often than most other planes will and that is what i was speaking about, not so much the actual performance of the plane historically.

i have the answer to that too.

i've said it before.

there's 2 kinds of pile-its in the 38.

1)those that excel in her.
2)those that suck in her.

those that ecel in her are lower numbers. most attack a 38, assuming it's a type 2 pile-it, so they relax their stance a little, thinking "easy kill". they're surprised when they find it's a type 1 pile-it behind the cartoon controls.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
trust me......i've made every mistake in the book, in spits, zeeks, hellkitties, 38's 39's......the 38 although a deadly aircraft(in the right hands), is a VERY harsh mistress.
 if you screw up, she'll slam ya.

i am sure, but it does have the flaps, air breaks, and nifty twin engines to play with.  

FYI i meant ACM mistakes more than flying mistakes ...

i am sure it would bite you if you stepped on it to hard, at least it should if modeled near correctly.

++S++

t
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2009, 08:05:24 AM »
well like i said i was speaking of the FM not the pilots, however i see you point the 38 has a lot of tricks up its sleeve in these video games, that is why it probably attracts a lot of trixy pilots.

no offense to anyone i am sure it can be fun to fly, and this is a game after all.

++S++

t

i have the answer to that too.

i've said it before.

there's 2 kinds of pile-its in the 38.

1)those that excel in her.
2)those that suck in her.

those that ecel in her are lower numbers. most attack a 38, assuming it's a type 2 pile-it, so they relax their stance a little, thinking "easy kill". they're surprised when they find it's a type 1 pile-it behind the cartoon controls.  :devil
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
i am sure, but it does have the flaps, air breaks, and nifty twin engines to play with.  

FYI i meant ACM mistakes more than flying mistakes ...

i am sure it would bite you if you stepped on it to hard, at least it should if modeled near correctly.

++S++

t

they're not airbrakes. they do nothing to slow you down. they;re also not on the G or the J.  :aok

the 38's flaps mimic the ones in real life. the 38 was designed with maneuvering flaps.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »
well there called air breaks, and yes i know which 38s had  them thanks ...

are you really trying to turn this into another "flaps" thread?   

"mimic", "real life", and "flaps" should not be in the same sentence when discussing AH ...

i mean honestly guys ...

common ...

no offense

++S++

t

they're not airbrakes. they do nothing to slow you down. they;re also not on the G or the J.  :aok

the 38's flaps mimic the ones in real life. the 38 was designed with maneuvering flaps.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
yes i have read a lot, it is a very interesting aircraft.  i wont debate it's quality with you as it was clearly effective.  

i will state that my comments are more on the lines of ...

in these video games the p38 will surprise you more often than most other planes will and that is what i was speaking about, not so much the actual performance of the plane historically.

FYI, P-38 was designed with maneuverability flaps. As CAP said, they mimic the ones in real life.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2009, 08:20:17 AM »
how many of you are out there ???

FYI, P-38 was designed with maneuverability flaps. As CAP said, they mimic the ones in real life.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
well there called air breaks, and yes i know which 38s had  them thanks ...

are you really trying to turn this into another "flaps" thread?   

"mimic", "real life", and "flaps" should not be in the same sentence when discussing AH ...

i mean honestly guys ...

common ...

no offense

++S++

t

no...no they're not.

dive brakes, slow the aircraft in a dive. these do not do that.

After months of pushing NACA to provide Mach 0.75 wind tunnel speeds (and finally succeeding), the compressibility problem was revealed to be the center of lift moving back toward the tail when in high-speed airflow. The compressibility problem was solved by changing the geometry of the wing's underside when diving so as to keep lift within bounds of the top of the wing. In February 1943, quick-acting dive flaps were tried and proven by Lockheed test pilots. The dive flaps were installed outboard of the engine nacelles and in action they extended downward 35° in 1½ seconds. The flaps did not act as a speed brake, they affected the center of pressure distribution so that the wing would not lose its lift.[28]

here's the link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_Lightning
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
how many of you are out there ???

our numbers are top secret. only the consortium of twelve thinks they have a remote clue to our actual numbers.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »
no...no they're not.

After months of pushing NACA to provide Mach 0.75 wind tunnel speeds (and finally succeeding), the compressibility problem was revealed to be the center of lift moving back toward the tail when in high-speed airflow. The compressibility problem was solved by changing the geometry of the wing's underside when diving so as to keep lift within bounds of the top of the wing. In February 1943, quick-acting dive flaps were tried and proven by Lockheed test pilots. The dive flaps were installed outboard of the engine nacelles and in action they extended downward 35° in 1½ seconds. The flaps did not act as a speed brake, they affected the center of pressure distribution so that the wing would not lose its lift.[28]

here's the link.

Don't both with this clown Cap. By his own admission he is always right, and everyone else is always wrong. Of course the only info we have to back his statements up is his own word. He's just another loud mouth hiding behind a shade, just not worth your time.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »
umm ok dive breaks i stand corrected ...

not buying the not slowing you down part, that may have not been the primary purpose in their design but i assure you they would in real life increase your drag and slow you down.  

i can't say how AH models them though.

fyi wikipedia is not vetted, doesn't bother me much but some will stomp on you for posting that as a source.

no...no they're not.

here's the link.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »
8/1 KD?!  Christ I try to keep mine under 1 and I'm failing at 1.5.  Bunch of score dweebs.  Thanks for letting us know Vinkman, I'll tell SAPP and the 80th to get on it.  I will look up the offenders, this is nearly grounds for immediate expulsion.  

Mensa,
Public Relations Officer
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
yea don't bother arguing with me, otherwise you will be posting apologies like others in this thread have felt the need to do already ...

i can be as wrong as anyone, that is why i am very confident in what i post, or i don't post it. 
other peoples ability to see the obvious does tend to cloud some issues though. 

Don't both with this clown Cap. By his own admission he is always right, and everyone else is always wrong. Of course the only info we have to back his statements up is his own word. He's just another loud mouth hiding behind a shade, just not worth your time.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
umm ok dive breaks i stand corrected ...

not buying the not slowing you down part, that may have not been the primary purpose in their design but i assure you they would in real life increase your drag and slow you down.  

i can't say how AH models them though.

fyi wikipedia is not vetted, doesn't bother me much but some will stomp on you for posting that as a source.

they are not brakes of any sort. they did nothign to decrease speed.
i'll find ya better sources later today if ya want......but in this instance you are wrong sir.

OOOO...LOOKIE!!!!!  a link to a POH.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qhEkkjp1bnMC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=p-38+dive+recovery+flaps&source=bl&ots=O9FVVBMGeJ&sig=L5jvEKo-DnZJuAphnFgtl_kZ6gI&hl=en&ei=mxe-Sof-LMeg8AbH842hAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

if you actually read this, you will note, that the dive recovery flaps will allow increased dive speed.
so now my question to you, is this.
 if they slow the aircraft down, then how do they allow increased speed?  :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:56:16 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
skeptical but go ahead and knock yourself out ...

the word "break" should give you some insight into the futility of that quest though

IMO of course hehe

++S++

t

they are not brakes of any sort. they did nothign to decrease speed.
i'll find ya better sources later today if ya want......but in this instance you are wrong sir.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah