Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53773 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »
The correct term is dive flaps, since that is what they were and not dive/air brakes.  The job of the dive flaps was to off-set compressibility during high speed dives  and not slow the plane down.  When deployed, it provided a nose up pitch  and any loss of energy from the use of dive flaps was a result of the nose pitching up and not the dive flaps themselves.  The drag they add isn't sufficient enough to provide any 'braking'.

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack
Excellent Ack-Ack, that is the most coherent explanation I've ever seen of what those things ARE, and what they DO :aok
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »
for the most part, most WWII pilots that flew fighters never had the chance of 10,000+ hours of seat time to learn the complete in's and out's of their particular plane.......

Even if they did the planes in reality are not as durable as they are in this game. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that because it happens in a game it could in real life.

The Angels did fly the Bearcat at one time (1946-1949) and that show put jets to shame.

http://aerobaticteams.net/Blue_Angels_F8F_Bearcat.html
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #302 on: September 27, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
Even if they did the planes in reality are not as durable as they are in this game. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that because it happens in a game it could in real life.

I wouldn't say that applies to all of the planes. I've seen some pretty expensive and rare birds flown very hard.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »
I wouldn't say that applies to all of the planes. I've seen some pretty expensive and rare birds flown very hard.

thx SaVaGe for your post,  alot of us ( some of us )have seen and experienced the thrill of seeing some very brave and successful pilots push the envelope in some of these old warbirds in reallife......... I know it has made me a believer that things some of us have seen or can do in this game, can also be done in real life planes of/from WWII.....

to quantify, EVERYTHING done in game may not be possible, but a majority of what one sees as far as AC maneuvering pretty much can be done..outside of the fish flopping, stick stirring BS.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
The Angels did fly the Bearcat at one time (1946-1949) and that show put jets to shame.

http://aerobaticteams.net/Blue_Angels_F8F_Bearcat.html

The Blue angels were formed beginning with only 3 Pilots  from WWII and they came out of their original home base of NAS Jacksonville and originally began with and flew the F6F-5 HellCat ( er might of been the F6f-3 have to go back and look at my Air Warrior Research )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »
My Ki84 owns any of you P38 BBS queens :devil

Mr. postcount is feeling ignored  :D
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #306 on: September 28, 2009, 06:35:14 AM »
Mr. postcount is feeling ignored  :D
HAHA just another to the list, daddy always told me to go for GOLD :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #307 on: September 28, 2009, 07:03:09 AM »
The Blue angels were formed beginning with only 3 Pilots  from WWII and they came out of their original home base of NAS Jacksonville and originally began with and flew the F6F-5 HellCat ( er might of been the F6f-3 have to go back and look at my Air Warrior Research )

You are correct.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #308 on: September 28, 2009, 07:44:02 AM »
ya.....i've taken shots that as i lined em up and fired, almost instantly, i thought  " o crap, i just lost this fight". this because i realized a little too late, that i gave up any advantage i had to get that quick shot.

patience is a virtue.

I'm 7 months in to this game and I'm just seeing this, pulling on the stick to hard losing E to take a shot and then becoming the hunted.  Got to love this game but it takes time to get good.  My personal opinion is that almost any plane flown right can take on about any other plane in the game.  You just half to know what your planes limits are and what it does well.  After that you need to know your opponent's weaknesses versus your strengths and work from there.  I've fought some good sticks in the 38 and I win some and lose some, it can be shot down like any other plane.  TnDep 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »
I'm 7 months in to this game and I'm just seeing this, pulling on the stick to hard losing E to take a shot and then becoming the hunted.  Got to love this game but it takes time to get good.  My personal opinion is that almost any plane flown right can take on about any other plane in the game.  You just half to know what your planes limits are and what it does well.  After that you need to know your opponent's weaknesses versus your strengths and work from there.  I've fought some good sticks in the 38 and I win some and lose some, it can be shot down like any other plane.  TnDep 
yep.

just had a fight me 38j vs ponyb last night. i had about 1-3k alt advantage, at which point speeds were about equal, but i had speed advantage when i came in to attack, allowing me to clear out of his guns range should i need.
 i thought i took a shot, held the turn(too long i might add), took it, and that was the end of the fight, as i should've been much more patient, and tried to wear him down.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »

Have you ever seen a Hellcat up against an F8F? No comparison to be made lightly considering both are warbirds and are very cool either way but still... no comparison.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #311 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
Was reading the number of kills for 38s. Going to check mine.

576 kills   :t
144 deaths  :eek: Told yall I die alot even if some are self inflicted.  :D

All but one in 38J.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:02:06 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #312 on: September 28, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

All but one in 38J.

you flew something besides the 38 o doom????

i just looked at mine........

108 kills, 81 deaths.
78 in p38J, 12 in p38G, 2 in p39Q, and 3 in lancaster. the rest were all in gv's.  spent about 35 hours ingame this month so far.....and compared to what i've been able to do lately, that's a LOT of time ingame for me.  :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:19:09 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #313 on: September 28, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
I agree with a poster which talked about any plane can take on any other plane, and it all depends on the pilot.

To prove this, I can give an example of getting my bellybutton handed to me by 8Spade flying a P40 out of all things while me in a 16. That was a shocker!!! I still remember this, that being around a year ago me thinks. I got away but was missing parts, after stall fight on the deck. Wish I had that filmed.

<S> 8Spade
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #314 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »

All but one in 38J.

Shows how little time I've had for flying this month

78 kills to 36 deaths in the 38G
3 kills to 1 death in the 38J

Doing my part to spread the 38 parts however :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters