Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53770 times)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #480 on: September 29, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
...I'm asking for the film...

I posted a film for you on page 10 if you missed it during the flap fetish. I think it might be kinda what your looking for.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #481 on: September 29, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »
Cap1 thanks for the taking the time, to film it, and describe it in such detail. I will watch later. I'm at work now.

Also i would like to clear up one big mis-understanding...

I do realize that the 38 departs later and possibly not at all if flown correctly. But I'm talking about chasing a P38 at nearly similar speed in level flight and he pulls vertical and I pull up after him. In the initial part of the manuever, well before the onset of stall for either plane, the P-38 seems to extend away as though it were losing speed slower. There are only two explanation for this (and please don't restart the incorrect energy discussion again).

What is happening is you're in a plane that burns energy faster than the P-38 in the vertical, coupled with the probability you're also pulling too many G's as you pull up into your dive and I wouldn't be surprised if you're also moving your plane as you zoom up as well.  There is no magic trick.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #482 on: September 29, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
I posted a film for you on page 10 if you missed it during the flap fetish. I think it might be kinda what your looking for.

Roger Cactus, thanks I'll check it out.  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #483 on: September 29, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
P-38 Pilots do it with twins....

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2009, 01:17:11 PM »
Is there a big difference between the P-38L and the 38J? I see many that prefer the J. I will fly the 38 mostly carrying ord in attack mode, not confident in it for a dog fight.  :(

The only difference are the boosted ailerons and dive flaps.  The boosted ailersons help with the roll at higher speeds but other than that, no real difference between the two.  Can't speak why others fly the J, but for me it's not because it's 'what the experten P-38 drivers fly' but rather something as simple as that is what the real life pilots of the 479th FG flew.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #485 on: September 29, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
Is this 38 dweeb thread done yet?  :D

Ahh...are we not paying attention to the little attention potato? 

ack-ack

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »
Let me explain it to you then.

I'd by far trust the words of the folks who designed, built, and tested (the treating Doctor) a plane before I'd trust in some authors (Doctor on the other side of the planet not treating patient) ideas of said plane.

You would be making a HUGE (and very ignorant - sorry to have to say it) mistake in this case. Johnson and his group were working on an aircraft that suffered from a problem that would not be realized until 1947 (aeroelasticity) by a man named Arthur Collar. In this case (that you are attempting to besmear) you are ignoring the fact that Phillips has instructed aeronautical engineers for some 30 years and the text I cited is the standard post-fundamentals text that not only explains phenomenon in detail but exhaustively researches the fundamentals behind aircraft performance and then derives all of the supporting equations from the ground up. Phillips also defines formulas to be used in the creation of flight simulators and I feel confident that many of them are used in AHII.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CVA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #487 on: September 29, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Duel throttles will not give someone an edge in the P-38, in other words, you will not win the fight because of duel throttles.  It does not 'increase' the maneuverability of the P-38 and is only useful in a few situations like pulling off really nice looking hammerheads, help recover in certain spin situations and it increases the immersion factor and that's pretty much it.

ack-ack

ack-ack there has to be more of an advantage in have duel throttles during a dog fight, then just a good looking hammerhead?
  USS AMERICA CVA-66 SHE LIVES FOREVER IN MY HEART

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #488 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
I really feel like this explains a lot in and of itself, remember that the P-38 has fowler flaps.
Flaps-per-se
(Image removed from quote.)

That is an interesting picture. On most flap designs, it attributes them a nose-down pitching moment when deployed. In AH though, flap deployment causes a considerable nose-up pitching moment.

Seems strange. Am I missing something?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
ack-ack there has to be more of an advantage in have duel throttles during a dog fight, then just a good looking hammerhead?

There isn't.

ack-ack

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »
There isn't.

ack-ack

QFT

I have a deul throttle.

Strokes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #491 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »
What is happening is you're in a plane that burns energy faster than the P-38 in the vertical, coupled with the probability you're also pulling too many G's as you pull up into your dive and I wouldn't be surprised if you're also moving your plane as you zoom up as well.  There is no magic trick.

ack-ack

and you just nailed part of it.

in the film i posted, the zeek, at one point, does pull sharply, generating a LOT of extra drag.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #492 on: September 29, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
P-38 Pilots do it with twins....

double your pleasure, double your fun..... :noid :rofl :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
if i could make my 38 o doom handle like a spit................. :O

Fly the 38G.  It's a twin engined Spit :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
You would be making a HUGE (and very ignorant - sorry to have to say it) mistake in this case. Johnson and his group were working on an aircraft that suffered from a problem that would not be realized until 1947 (aeroelasticity) by a man named Arthur Collar. In this case (that you are attempting to besmear) you are ignoring the fact that Phillips has instructed aeronautical engineers for some 30 years and the text I cited is the standard post-fundamentals text that not only explains phenomenon in detail but exhaustively researches the fundamentals behind aircraft performance and then derives all of the supporting equations from the ground up. Phillips also defines formulas to be used in the creation of flight simulators and I feel confident that many of them are used in AHII.

Are you claiming that the Lockheed crew did not know that the fuselage (tail booms) on the P-38 were flexing, and deflecting during compression?
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe