Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53759 times)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
Doh!  Didn't realize that Silat had brought a 2 month old thread back up from the dead....

Lusche, I realize that - I was just pointing out the fallacy of depending (solely) upon the stats to evaluate relative performance of aircraft, which is how this thread started out.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
I prefer 1a over 1d. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the wing tanks.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
I love fighting 1D's in the MA, mainly because they are either loaded with bombs, have fuel to fly them 20 sectors, or both. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Doh!  Didn't realize that Silat had brought a 2 month old thread back up from the dead....

Lusche, I realize that - I was just pointing out the fallacy of depending (solely) upon the stats to evaluate relative performance of aircraft, which is how this thread started out.

<S>

I think when I started the thread I state that one of the assumptions is that with thousands on line, that one would surmise that the pilot talent was uniformly distributed among the various plane types. If that assumption were true, then the stats would suggest differences in plane type score could be attributed to the plane. In monitoring the numbers over time, I think the conclusion is that pilot skill is not always distributed uniformly over the various planes when weighted by sorties flown. So the assumption doesn't hold. Thus, plane scores are more often driven by who fly's them and how they choose to fly them.  

In a game with so many players I found that surprising. But as I began to watch the scores and gain more MA time, you realise that the sorties are not close to being evenly distributed among the players. Lusche could tell you but I would bet 50% of sorties are flown by 10% of the players, and 80% by 20%, and so on.   So the habits of veterans frequent fliers are dominating the stats making it very difficult to draw conclusions about planes from the data.

Who is John Galt?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
I love fighting 1D's in the MA, mainly because they are either loaded with bombs, have fuel to fly them 20 sectors, or both. :)

THERE'S only a few people that fly any of the corsairs in mw......and i hate/love flying against em.
 they sometimes are carrying ords....but if they are, and get into a scrap, they never hesitate to get rid of them. they also know how to fly em, and they tend to work in pairs, making them much harder(for me anyway) to deal with.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
To be honest when I found the 38 in game, I liked the G...no real rhyme or reason, just flew it more...then went to the L, ended up getting a few more kills here and there...flew the L in DGS, but after that I tried the J out...and for some reason it just felt more like home to me, even though it's pretty much identical to the L (except for the ailerons and what not). I always hop in a J on most sorties now (when I don't feel like flying a 234 hehe). I just seem to fly better.

Cap,
I think Corsairs are generally hard to deal with even in a 1v1, depending on the plane I'm in, it's hard to judge how much E he has, how much I have, knowing I probably can't turn with him...pretty much pray for a miracle.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
I think when I started the thread I state that one of the assumptions is that with thousands on line, that one would surmise that the pilot talent was uniformly distributed among the various plane types. If that assumption were true, then the stats would suggest differences in plane type score could be attributed to the plane. In monitoring the numbers over time, I think the conclusion is that pilot skill is not always distributed uniformly over the various planes when weighted by sorties flown. So the assumption doesn't hold. Thus, plane scores are more often driven by who fly's them and how they choose to fly them.  

In a game with so many players I found that surprising. But as I began to watch the scores and gain more MA time, you realise that the sorties are not close to being evenly distributed among the players. Lusche could tell you but I would bet 50% of sorties are flown by 10% of the players, and 80% by 20%, and so on.   So the habits of veterans frequent fliers are dominating the stats making it very difficult to draw conclusions about planes from the data.

Nice post.  There aren't nearly enough people who play this game to cause even skill distribution over every plane in the set.  You'd probably need another 50k players for that to happen.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #592 on: January 27, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
To be honest when I found the 38 in game, I liked the G...no real rhyme or reason, just flew it more...then went to the L, ended up getting a few more kills here and there...flew the L in DGS, but after that I tried the J out...and for some reason it just felt more like home to me, even though it's pretty much identical to the L (except for the ailerons and what not). I always hop in a J on most sorties now (when I don't feel like flying a 234 hehe). I just seem to fly better.

Cap,
I think Corsairs are generally hard to deal with even in a 1v1, depending on the plane I'm in, it's hard to judge how much E he has, how much I have, knowing I probably can't turn with him...pretty much pray for a miracle.

I THINK you're right. they can easily out turn the 38, if they're flown well, and they can prevent the 38 driver from extending too far, or running.
 they also seem to be easily able to match any vertical move that the 38 can do. i've made the mistake more than once, where i'd go up, expecting to see him fall off like most spits would, but instead, he's there shooting my 38 o doom.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #593 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
i hate the 38 it has nothing to offer its merely a slow target drone
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #594 on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
i hate the 38 it has nothing to offer its merely a slow target drone

Turdy8 is UBER, it is the "spit16" of the varsity squad! :aok :bolt:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #595 on: January 27, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »

I THINK you're right. they can easily out turn the 38, if they're flown well, and they can prevent the 38 driver from extending too far, or running.
 they also seem to be easily able to match any vertical move that the 38 can do. i've made the mistake more than once, where i'd go up, expecting to see him fall off like most spits would, but instead, he's there shooting my 38 o doom.

the only reason they are catching you in the vertical is because you are misjudging their energy state and think it's lower than it really is.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #596 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
38 = trainer.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #597 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
the only reason they are catching you in the vertical is because you are misjudging their energy state and think it's lower than it really is.  

ack-ack

they're not catching me as i zoom bck up. they're catching me.....or rather hanging in there when i try to use the vertical as i would against a spit or zeek in a fight.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #598 on: January 27, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
they're not catching me as i zoom bck up. they're catching me.....or rather hanging in there when i try to use the vertical as i would against a spit or zeek in a fight.
:huh
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #599 on: January 27, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »

If they're hanging below you within guns range, you underestimated their energy state and not because they have some uber vertical properties.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song