Author Topic: yak 9u  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Re: yak 9u
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
   that very dangerous gun package takes a while to line up for a kill. since the ammo load is so weak i usually
get nailed just lining up a shot(cant just pray and spray). another yak weakness.
Please explain how this is a weakness.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:39 PM »
   that very dangerous gun package takes a while to line up for a kill. since the ammo load is so weak i usually
get nailed just lining up a shot(cant just pray and spray). another yak weakness.

It's not the yak's weakness, it's the pilots weakness.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 02:10:23 AM »

It's not the yak's weakness, it's the pilots weakness.

I agree.

Below is an AH film of one of my best fights ever on Aces High.

It's Yak-9U vs Bf109-K4. I was just lucky this time. Was flying against Hopper, who is a great pilot and real sport as well.  :salute  :aok

The film is very long, the fight lasted for about 10 minutes. I left the remaining 4 minutes as they show our chat, after the fight, on channel 200. Left them there as testimony of Hopper's sportsmanship. It is a model for many who don't fly 1/10th of what he does...  :aok  :salute

At a certain moment Mad2009 offers me help. English is not my home language. Sometimes I misunderstand ... I thought he had asked something like 'did you get him?' I answered with a dry 'no'(couldn't take my attention from the 109, which I knew was piloted by an expert...
Watching the movie, I had the impression of being rude to Mad2009, who was offering help. So I PM'ed him in Arena thanked him and apologized for that.  :aok :salute
Being rude is not my style.

Now, if a dumb old fart like me can fight Yak-9U against 109-K4, why canīt other people do it?

Hope it helps.

Mutley (with 1 T only, please do not take me for that copy cat with 2 TT   :furious )

Sometimes internal view gets off proper position, just press HOME key while watching to correct.

I use my custom gunsight. If you do not use it in Yak-9U you will get no sight in the film. Just install the one below if you want to see a gunsight.

Download gunsight from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5jzq3dydf1d/mutley_dred_B.bmp

2 versions of film first uncompressed, about 6Mb, second is compressed(RAR), about 3Mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmyennnyywz/YAK-9U vs 109-K4.ahf

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ognyzydtmjy/YAK-9U vs 109-K4.rar
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
You guys are being a little unfair, I think.  "Spray and Pray" was a poor choice of words, but any idiot knows it's better to have more ammo than less.  I tend to shoot well, but what makes the Yak a pain is that missing with even a short burst frequently reduces your ammunition by a large fraction of the initially small total.

If we had one of those Yak variants with 2x20mm + 37mm (high velocity), it would overcome that main drawback for the majority of virtual pilots with gunnery percentages frequently below 5%.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »
Secret to the yak is that it teaches you good habits.
ACM over spray and pray, use the vertical, get in close, make your shots count.

You could have the exact same airframe with more guns and ammo and it would NOT be respected.
Case in point N1k, tiffy, etc.

The respect comes from the fact that it takes control to fly the yak well.

2 20mm's and a 37mm and you'd have a bird worse than the yak9t. Bit like the iL2, feared, don't let yourself get in front of it, but not really respected. Its all about the guns and not the pilot.

The Yak9U is all about the pilot, not the guns.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 06:59:02 AM »
To date, Anton is the best Yak stick I've ever seen.   I miss my wingman.   :(
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:30 AM »

That's your weakness, not the Yak's.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
2 20mm's and a 37mm and you'd have a bird worse than the yak9t.

How would a Yak-9U with 2x20mm and 1x37mm be worse than the Yak-9T?  It's safe to say it would still outperform it in every way, despite the extra weight.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
How would a Yak-9U with 2x20mm and 1x37mm be worse than the Yak-9T?  It's safe to say it would still outperform it in every way, despite the extra weight.

Especially when I'm within 200 when pulling the trigger.   Imagine buff hunting with that Yakenstein?! 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
Especially when I'm within 200 when pulling the trigger.   Imagine buff hunting with that Yakenstein?! 

Especially since that 37mm has the muzzle velocity of a Hispano. :t
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »
Question, what exactly do you think the difference is between the 9U and the 9T?

Adding a pair of 20mm's instead of the mg's would just make that difference worse.

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 12:47:40 PM »
The 9t nose is quite a bit heavier.

I started to fly the 9U to teach me to preserve ammo,  now I almost exclusivly fly 9t and 9u.

I love watching people explode with one shot from my 37mm

Long live Yaks...  :rock
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
Question, what exactly do you think the difference is between the 9U and the 9T?

Adding a pair of 20mm's instead of the mg's would just make that difference worse.

The 9U has about 320 more horsepower than the 9T.  The oil coolers are in different locations.  The 9U has 2 12.7mm machine guns and a 20mm cannon, while the 9T has 1 12.7mm machine gun and a 37mm cannon.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline FentFV

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Prefix:  I am *not* a great pilot!!

But - the Yak-9U is my love :)

It climbs, it dives, it zooms, it manages E quite well.  And it's a speed demon.  It's best in the mid- to low-level fight (say 15K or under), but that's where most fights happen anyway.  I don't consider the ammo load a limitation - it forces you to angle your way to the optimum shot.  If I see someone spraying and praying, I just lick my chops.  Dinner :)

I can say that there is no plane in the set that the Yak deosn't have at least an equal chance against.  In many cases, the Yak simply dominates.  The Yak usually has one or more advantage against at least 90% of the planes (maybe more).

The LA *might* be the exception:  they seem to outclass the Yak on paper.  But very few *good* pilots fly the LA, except for base defense.  So if I see one far from home, I'll merge and see what they do.  If they do something "stupid" (by my standards, which are *not* uber), then the fight's already over.

When I'm in a Yak, planes that are very good in the vertical worry me more than others.  But Ponies, Corsairs, and other "slow-climbers", starting co-E, it's just a matter of time before their E is bled dry and they flop.  This should *not* be taken as a slam against the wonder-sticks in those plane types, of course!

The only type of plane I *don't* engage is bombers.  But that's just because of the ammo limitation:  It simply takes too much to shoot one down.

Spit 16's are the yak's biggest threat, as it does everything the Yak does

Except that the Yak is far faster.  My engagements against Spixteens usually involve merge and a few turns.  If I don't have angles, I'll simply extend out to 2K, rinse and repeat.  You can't be "forced" into a turn fight.  You either let it happen or you don't.

To be perfectly honest, the only plane I fear when I'm in a Yak is another Yak :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:55:28 PM by FentFV »

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
    any films fent