Author Topic: How could I have won? 109K4 vs P38 film inside  (Read 1319 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: How could I have won? 109K4 vs P38 film inside
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
The "merge" is the point where the planes pass each other.

You have to remember there all kinds of OPENING merges. Its like chess. Typically we think of merging as what happens AFTER the merge.

But there is more to the merge.

Each dual can have different rules. For example a rule can be made to say that "fight on" occurs when icon range is reached (you can see the red icon). Or when you can see the dot.

I consider the fight ON when I see the DOT. I call this "dot vis". This means I can begin to maneuver at this point. I can choose to hold nose on and merge co alt or I can do something different. All that matters is that both planes meet at the same alt. Co alt means when I see your dot we are at the same alt. Afther that point I can do what I want.

So I would call "dot vis" the point where I can make my opening MOVE (notice I didnt say MERGE). At some point during the opening move the planes will merge.

I am describing what happens before the merge.

This relates to either seperation or denial of seperation ON THE MERGE. Wheather I allow or deny seperation is dependant on the plane type I am fighting and my intended opening move.

Typically, if I turn to the right and create seperation from the merge, the bandit just keeps nose on and follows me. This is what I want. I am forcing him to make a turn. I then reverse to the left...so does he....the point here is I AM DICTATING what he does....because he is RESPONDING to what I do. So I am controlling his moves even before the merge happens.

Further, I can choose to dive to the deck, stay co alt to head on, climb above, climb and turn left or right, or climb or dive and make a turn either way. All of this is BEFORE we merge.

Once I get the bandit responding to my actions I can do whatever I want. I can force an immediate head on merge or I can force the bandit to turn while I just extend out. It's totally up to me. At this point I am in total control.

There are many options open to me....the pure lead turn...the early turn....the early rope....the low flat turn...and others.

If I just merge head on I have NO CONTROL over what is happening. Now we turn either into a one circle or two circle fight depending on what happens AFTER the head on merge. This is nothing more than a gamble. You may or may not win the advantage and get a better merge angle.

There is another option as well. The SECOND merge. You can force a second merge as well. And you can even make an opening move for the second merge but that is another subject.

Here are a few graphics to illustrate what I am saying.

AAn example of controlling the bandits reaction BEFORE the merge
Black circles are the dot vis. Black line is the beggining of the reaction.
(Image removed from quote.)

A one circle merge

A two circle merge

this is were it's at, something I have always said "the fight is won at or before the merge,"

this next to gunnery is the most important.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
Re: How could I have won? 109K4 vs P38 film inside
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
Hey agent is improving.... he used to write on his monitor.

:x

Mutley
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."