Author Topic: Cyclops Vision  (Read 2591 times)

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Cyclops Vision
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
 :furious

Wow guys, I just discovered a hum dinger. This affects the realism of every cockpit and gun view in this game. I am thinking how I can be the first to notice this. Every cockpit view in the game has to be reexamined and modified. Sorry HTC, but you went too far with the F4U’s cockpit redesign and created huge blind spots that a two eyed person would not have in real life.

What I discovered is this game’s graphics are designed to replicate what a Cyclops would view. Yes that is right a Cyclops. You may ask why a Cyclops view? Because the VERTICAL pillars and frames are creating blind spots that a person with (2) two eyes would not have.

I have included a link to prove to myself and others that I am not that crazy, but I wouldn’t rule out a little bit crazy. See sheets 10, 11, & 12 to see an example of Stereo Vision (how a normal two eyed person sees behind thin vertical objects less than about 2.5 inches).

Link: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/MediaAndMachines/perceptionseminarresources/presentationGazihan.pdf

Also, if you don’t believe this link try this yourself. With your index finger pointing up and hand extend in front of you. Focus on an object at least 20 feet beyond your index finger and view with one eye at a time and the other eye closed. Then open both eyes, while still focusing on the distance object and what do you see? I bet you see two transparent fingers and the entire object behind your fingers.

My point being is that HTC is creating blind spots in the forward cockpit view (and side) that is limiting our view and making shooting much harder than in real life. For example, the F4U and 190 views may be horrendously incorrect. If the vertical pillars of these planes are less than the distance between a persons two eyes (about 2.5 inches). The pilot in these cockpits would be able to see an object travel left to right without the object disappearing behind a vertical (or near vertical) pillar.

My recommendations are:

1.   Reduce the size of the vertical pillars to a thin line. Please start with the F4U and 190’s as these are used frequently. Resorting to the previous F4U’s cockpit view may be a quick solution for the mean time.

2.   Or make the vertical pillars transparent. This option is good because the inside of the cockpit remain real.

3.   Or don’t change anything and assume Cyclops ruled the skies in WWII.

4.   Don’t forget the vertical window frames on the sides of cockpits have to be just as transparent.

PS. I thought of this issue when flying an A20. The A20’s cockpit view has skinny vertical pillars with limited blind spots. Also, check out the rear guns and try to fire them through the tale. Notice that the guns will not fire at the tale. However, one will fire while the other will not. Also, notice how the tracers can travel behind the tale. This is a perfect example of stereo vision. Think about it.

Offline coola4me

• Copper Member
Re: Cyclops Vision
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
Not to be a smart A but this is a game not RL! Comparing real life vision to whats rendered on a computer IMO would be like comparing apples and oranges! Yes they are both round and a fruit but taste totally different. Also there is a reason the guns on the A20 wont fire when pointed at the tail! Im sure you can fiqure out what would happen if you fired twin 50 cals at the verticle stab at point blank range of any plane! :salute
CO. 172nd Rabid Dawgs
In Game Name: coola
Panties....not the greatest thing on Earth..... but next to it!!!     ME-YOW!!!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »
Unless you have two LCD panels and a massive backlight that you can align at the same horizontal separation as your eyes given the distance to what you're looking at, there's no way to emulate two eyes in a game. The constantly varying convergence of eyes make it impossible.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
Good stuff.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »
Not everybody agrees with your ideas...
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
 :rofl
Strokes

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
You're kidding right?  Some people have too much time.

Post number one.... and you've found an amazing fact.  You can't have 3D binocular vision on a 1D screen.  Where have you been all these years? <insert sarcasm>

You understand binocular vision......  but can't distinguish the difference between "T-A-I-L" and "T-A-L-E"?

It's a game. Enjoy it.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
OOOOps sorry we don't program the game. Looks like you posted your first post in the wrong forum. Might want to read the forum rules before posting. Your not the first new person to do this so don't take it to heart.

If your having trouble with the game I'd suggest posting in the wish list or emailing skuzzy. <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
The playing field is level.  We all deal with the same thing, so it is a moot point. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
Ditto all replies.

But I would add that rather than screw up the cockpit art by making it see through or smaller. Maight I recommend setting a hat switch to move the head position? I have such a swith and I bob my head around to see object obscured by the window frames. Only complaint is that it scrolls a little slow, My head would move faster. But knowing HTC there is probably a head speed setting that can be set somewhere. I've been wondering about that anyway...so..

Is there a way to increase the speed of the head movement in the game?
Who is John Galt?

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
 :huh

I had a long, well thought out, sarcasm filled response typed up...  but I figured why bother.

:huh

***G3-MF***

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »
Ditto all replies.

But I would add that rather than screw up the cockpit art by making it see through or smaller. Maight I recommend setting a hat switch to move the head position? I have such a swith and I bob my head around to see object obscured by the window frames. Only complaint is that it scrolls a little slow, My head would move faster. But knowing HTC there is probably a head speed setting that can be set somewhere. I've been wondering about that anyway...so..

Is there a way to increase the speed of the head movement in the game?

Only way I know is to get shot in the head..... it moves to the tower extremely quickly.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

Only way I know is to get shot in the head..... it moves to the tower extremely quickly.  :D

:lol
Who is John Galt?

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
LOL waystin were you get  this stuff?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
LOL waystin were you get  this stuff?

He has a large family.
80th FS "Headhunters"