Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 5962 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
I agree with BnZ. I'm all for ENY changes but some of these seem a bit whacked. Particularly the uber 109K4. Climbs like a rocket and has  30mm gun that kills in one shot.

The 51D on the other hand was the standard US fighter for 1944 for crying out loud. It's rare for a 51D to get a one pass kill unless your firing parameters are perfect and at close range. It doesn't lead the pack in any category of performance and has anemic guns compared to cannon. How does it become a 5!!!?
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »

My years-long campaign has succeeded! The P47N has rightfully assumed its place as a double-digit eny ride! (I am now free to continue my plan for world domination)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:37 PM »
Wtg on the new Punkstang eny!!  :aok
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
LOL at whines about a 5 ENY P-51D.

It is the most used aircraft in AH, after all.  So a 5 ENY makes sense.  Might help balance the arenas and promote more variety in choices of rides.

*ducks*
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
The changes to the N-Jug, Ta-152, and P-38 ENY are sensible and long over-due. Thank you.

Yes, the airplane which even its most successful exponent describes as mediocre for LW has had its ENY lowered to 5, while the La7's ENY has been *raised* to 8!!! That is right folks, the P-51D now has a lower ENY than an airplane that is decidedly faster, has a much better t/w, and turns vastly better at typical MA alts. This is like having the ENY of the F4U-4 be lower than that of the P-47N. The 109 K4, an airplane that is by all objective standards verging on needing a perk, has its ENY remain at 20 while the very fine LW ride the G-14 has had its ENY raised to 25...the same league as 190-A5s and D-Jugs!!! The 190D9, an aircraft which consistently gets the highest k/d amongst non-perked aircraft month to month, has seen its ENY remain at 15. So in all honesty, I think we're in one-step forward, two-steps back territory with the ENY.

If its better, then by proxy, you shouldnt give a rats %$%^ that its harder to get a 51D now, the LA is better to fly!............................. .Right?
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:05 PM »
If its better, then by proxy, you shouldnt give a rats %$%^ that its harder to get a 51D now, the LA is better to fly!............................. .Right?

Yes, I should not give a crap about fairness or logic in the ENY system. Good argument!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
LOL at whines about a 5 ENY P-51D.

It is the most used aircraft in AH, after all.  So a 5 ENY makes sense.  Might help balance the arenas and promote more variety in choices of rides.

*ducks*

Boy, what a terrible argument...a plane that climbs poorly, turns poorly, has mediocre lethality, and good (but not the best) speed, deserves 5 ENY for what boils down to no reason but that every nooblet has heard of it?

If 90% of the arena chose to flew the P-51D, it would not adversely effect anyone who chose to fly almost *anything* else...because 95% of the plane set stands an even or better chance in a dogfight with the Pony with equally skilled pilots.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:43:13 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
The P38L carries a very good amount of ord while being able to climb rather well regardless of the extra weight.  It is the most capable P38, IMO and deserves the better ENY.

The P51D... I thought 8 was about right.  But, the jury is still out on this one.  The jury is still out on the La7 and george getting bumped up to 8 as well.  I'm not suer how they both were given some padding when neither needed it.

The P47N up to 10... way to go.  Nicely done.  and to think at one time this flying school bus was perked.  ditto on the Ta152.

I am surprised that the 109K-4 didnt get reduced to 15 or even 12.  It is fast, climbs like a fart on a cold day, and produces one shot kills.

The best improvement in the new ENY scores: the 190A-8.  I always had a tough time understanding how it could ever have had a 31 ENY score.  It can muster the most firepower of any single engine fighter w/ dual 30mm, dual 20mm, and dual 13mm, or quad 20mm and dual 13mm, etc.  Combine that with the 500kg (1100lbs) bomb and it is one devistating attack package.     

Final thoughts to ponder... there seems to be, with very few exceptions, intervals of *5* between the levels of aircraft ENY.  Just curious as to why there are not more 3, 9, 13, 18, 22, 28, 32, etc, ENY ranked aircraft. 

Regarding the OBJ scores... perhaps another thred?  :)   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »
I like that ostie has higher eny than wirb now.  :aok
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
I'm baffled at the LA-7 changes.  For real...the plane's a monster, and should be perked, not raised in ENY...
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 09:06:56 PM »
Makes sense to me.
A8 seems alot "heavier" and just doesn't seem to be able to maneuver like the a5. (I suppose the heavier gun package may make up for this?)
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
A8 seems alot "heavier" and just doesn't seem to be able to maneuver like the a5. (I suppose the heavier gun package may make up for this?)

It is, and it can't.  I imagine that the reason for the equality in ENY is the far better gun package on the A8.

On those occasions when I've been into the MAs and flown an A8, I've found that it's a lot more effective than it is when you're flying it 1 v 1.  Pursuers often won't follow you on your first break, and it's much easier to sneak up on targets.

- oldman

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
Comparing P-51D to other planes that are called Fast, without using perked rides, the Pony outruns/climbs them most of the time.
This test is done using what I typically hear as "fast planes", since I don't go to LW often (If someone from LW knows better comparison planes I'll check those) it doesn't affect me either way.  I'm taking no one side here, simply showing it's not as slow or bad a climber as people make it out to be, and the .50 cals are plenty lethal, but certainly they aren't as much so as the 20mms or 30mms.  Also have to count in it's Ord/Fuel loadout compared to an LA-7.

This is all off memory, so correct where wrong please.
Pony: 2,000lbs of Bombs, or 2x DTs adding a good amount of fuel, 6x Rockets (6 right?) and 6x .50s with about 1000 ammo?  Has about 60mins fuel?
LA-7: 200KG of bombs, no Rockets or DTs and about 20mins fuel?

Charts:

Climb:

So it's not the best, but it does have a decent standing in performance to have a possible 5 ENY.  An argument needs facts, I'm simply supplying them, you may now continue on the argument about the ENY.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
I agree with BnZ. I'm all for ENY changes but some of these seem a bit whacked. Particularly the uber 109K4. Climbs like a rocket and has  30mm gun that kills in one shot.

The 51D on the other hand was the standard US fighter for 1944 for crying out loud. It's rare for a 51D to get a one pass kill unless your firing parameters are perfect and at close range. It doesn't lead the pack in any category of performance and has anemic guns compared to cannon. How does it become a 5!!!?

Oh Rap, you wound me so!!  Why must you campaign against my beloved Kurfurst?  How has it wounded you so that you feel the desire, nay, the obligation to disparage her reputation in such a heartless manner?   Oh the Humanity!!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »
That's the only one I have a small, very small, issue with........ 29 maybe, but the A5 has the better moves by far.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.