Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »

Side switchers are primarily furballers looking for easy kills. They are not invested in the territorial game (think about it! why would anyone work hard to take bases to switch sides?) So they actually play the game of temporarily playing off the two other countries to rack up their own personal scores. They generally gather around any concentration of combatants, which will be mostly people earnestly working on taking a base, upping in the perked or low ENY planes going against high ENY planes, giving themselves every advantage. So I don't know that they do anyone a favor except themselves. 

So again, I'm having a hard time seeing how easy side switching is good :).

QFT!
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
Don't assume he's an idiot.

I've shot the crap out of Lancasters with 37mm and watched them lose flaps.

Just trying to clarify.  I've done the same.  B-25s and B-26s also.

Speaking of the 37mm in general as a long range tater. I've always considered that completely wrong.. The advantage of the 37mm (if you get the timing right) is it's king hit advantage over any other plane with a single close range snap shot.  Taking long range snipe shots is a waste of very limited ammo.

Wait for them to come to you.

<S>...-Gixer

You shouldn't take that long range shot, but you can.  After all, you're only shooting one tater at a time. 

Nothing is more satisfying than taking the wing off that Runstang from 1k out with your last tater.

:devil

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
From Aircraft of WWII pg 165 gives the following performance for the tempest.
2.180 hp engine top speed 426 mph service ceiling 36.500 ft empty weight 9.080 loaded 13.450

P-51D 1510 hp Merlin V-1650 engine top speed 437 mph service ceiling 41.900 ft. empty weight 7.125 loaded 11.600. (pg 212)

This information seems the same in about any performance chart I look at. Yet here is Aces High the P-51 is slower than the Tempest. The higher you fly the P-51D the better the performance gets. While the Yak-9D has at top speed of 339 mph but I can't catch one most the time in a ME109. So I to am confused by ENY for some planes and performance.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »
Correction on the Yak I looked at the the wrong model the Yak-U has a top speed of 412 mph in Aircraft of WWII. I was looking for the mid war yak performance.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
From Aircraft of WWII pg 165 gives the following performance for the tempest.
2.180 hp engine top speed 426 mph service ceiling 36.500 ft empty weight 9.080 loaded 13.450

P-51D 1510 hp Merlin V-1650 engine top speed 437 mph service ceiling 41.900 ft. empty weight 7.125 loaded 11.600. (pg 212)

This information seems the same in about any performance chart I look at. Yet here is Aces High the P-51 is slower than the Tempest.

It is not. As you said yourself, P-51 speed gets better at altitude:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
Only because the Spit pilots they were fighting didn't have a clue.

I put that at 98%  :D

Performance chart as follows....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:41:14 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »
It is not. As you said yourself, P-51 speed gets better at altitude:
(Image removed from quote.)

how do you generate those charts? (the axes labelling always makes me smile on them - 3700 grid for alt :huh)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
how do you generate those charts?

I didn't. They are automatically generated by HTC: Check out "Comparative Statistics" on the Score & Stats page.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
ah ty, Ive been using the gonzo site for comparison. I guess the AH tool is more up to date?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
ah ty, Ive been using the gonzo site for comparison. I guess the AH tool is more up to date?

It's using actual game data to compute those graphs.

But of course, Gonzo's site is still very valuable as much more data can be found there, even though the "recent" additions are missing.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
I'm going to make the statement which admittedly is hard to prove but I think is truthful.

The two predominant styles of play in the LW arena are furballing (primarily focused on air to air kills) and territory capture (capture fields, etc.).

Side switchers are primarily furballers looking for easy kills. They are not invested in the territorial game (think about it! why would anyone work hard to take bases to switch sides?) So they actually play the game of temporarily playing off the two other countries to rack up their own personal scores. They generally gather around any concentration of combatants, which will be mostly people earnestly working on taking a base, upping in the perked or low ENY planes going against high ENY planes, giving themselves every advantage. So I don't know that they do anyone a favor except themselves.  

This seems to defeat the purpose of the ground game which necessarily is based on concentration of force at the right weak points. These weak points will disappear if they are mobbed by a bunch of score hounds.

So again, I'm having a hard time seeing how easy side switching is good :).

Jumping sides when your side is high in #'s to find a better fight seems easy enough to understand as good.  Of course that's assuming that you appreciate the action of fighting more enemies w/ less help as opposed to being assigned to be the 3rd guy in on a VH in a mission involving 20 people.

To each his own.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
Rapier missed the target, the hay, and the barn on that post.

The game is the fight. The 80th will fly P-38s in and fight. We do not fly perk birds and we do not care about score. We fly on the low number side to even teams.

This also allows you to use your low eny GVs.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:45:55 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »
Actually Shuffler, we are in violent agreement. The game is the fight and most of the side switchers are using side switching to their own personal advantage. It gives them more targets and better or at least equal planes.  The argument that side switching is done out of altruism brought tears to my eyes. . . Then I got done laughing :).

Your argument that the 80th flies 38s is true FOR YOU and your small group. I believe that you will choose the low side. You guys are good at that plane and you've worked hard to be so. You guys use teamwork to minimize the weak points of the plane. But it is a real stretch to extend that to the general AH population.

So in regards to the average player, I don't think I missed :)

Unfortunately a lot of people are using the argument, "this is what I do and I think everyone does what I do" and that isn't always correct. Can't be actually. Watch how the numbers flow and who flows to what team and what they come back flying in. I may not be totally right but there is at least a nugget of truth in there.

My main argument is that ENY should be based on performance and not popularity. Otherwise it penalizes popular choices and creates uber planes that get exploited.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
Actually Shuffler, we are in violent agreement. The game is the fight and most of the side switchers are using side switching to their own personal advantage. It gives them more targets and better or at least equal planes.  The argument that side switching is done out of altruism brought tears to my eyes. . . Then I got done laughing :).
You are clueless.  It has nothing to do with the planes and saying more targets is a personal advantage is a very odd way of putting it.  The fight is where the fun is and I decline to join four other guys in a conga line after a single enemy.  That isn't a fight and it isn't fun.  So if I switch to that one guy's side, yes, it is to my advantage as it makes it more fun for me.  It should also be to the advantage of the four guys who were clubbing baby seals as the fight is the fun and they were missing that.  If they think only clubbing baby seals is fun, they're fundamentally broken and I will disregard their desire for their type of "fun."

My main argument is that ENY should be based on performance and not popularity. Otherwise it penalizes popular choices and creates uber planes that get exploited.

If they get significantly exploited then their popularity will drive their ENY values down.  If they don't get exploited, then they weren't good enough and you were wrong about them being "uber planes."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:27:58 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »

1)  You guys use teamwork to minimize the weak points of the plane

2) "this is what they do and I think everyone does what they do"

Prior post...

3) This seems to defeat the purpose of the ground game which necessarily is based on concentration of force at the right weak points

1) We can also fly single very well thank you. We do not require the horde to roll the low number side. As it would be if we were "stuck" on a single side.

2) Seems to be what your saying.

3) Weak ponts? Trying to avoid the fight by bringing the "concentration of power"(horde) to a weak point

There are many folks I know of that look for the fight and are not married to any side.
You say you like to capture and that furballers do not help you at all... sounds like your the one that does no one a favor except yourself.

Capturing bases serves no purpose. All that happens is a terrain is changed. In the end if you have fun doing what you do then you have won.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:31:01 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"