Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 5991 times)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
Virtually all the AH numbers I've seen indicate the Pony turns tighter than any FW190 variant.
http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/Resources.aspx

I'm not debating real world numbers - just the ones that matter for our game. Note all these numbers were direct tests of turn performance, not theoretical/calculated ones.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:33:01 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
says loaded clean on the weights ...

are you forgetting ammo?

"Clean" stall speed means no flaps.

Weights at various loadings from the E6B in AHII, six guns and full ammo for the Pony. HTC is picky about that sort of detail...and no drop tank rail for the 190 in my numbers btw, if you were wondering.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »
yall turn tight as ya want. I'm goin' yoyo on ya  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
I find it pretty amusing that changing the Pony from eny 8 to eny 5 has riled this many feathers.   (9 out of 10 posters are riled up about the pony, after all)

Great bait, HT!   :salute
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
"Clean" stall speed means no flaps.

Weights at various loadings from the E6B in AHII, six guns and full ammo for the Pony. HTC is picky about that sort of detail...and no drop tank rail for the 190 in my numbers btw, if you were wondering.

i think *clean* re the weight means nothing hanging off the plane, tanks, bombs etc ...

i don't think stall speed is stated at all in the data i posted ...

also i think  some have said the FWs are a bit heavy, is that just the a8 ?

still even with your numbers either the dora or the a5 should clearly out turn the pony depending on whether you choose to consider wing-loading as more important, or power loading as more important ...

right?

+S+

t
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:11:34 PM by thorsim »
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
too bad the 1-2 notches weren't tested ...

i'm afraid i brought reality into this discussion ...

just curious about stuff i guess ...

+S+

t

Virtually all the AH numbers I've seen indicate the Pony turns tighter than any FW190 variant.
http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/Resources.aspx

I'm not debating real world numbers - just the ones that matter for our game. Note all these numbers were direct tests of turn performance, not theoretical/calculated ones.
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:21 AM »
"Clean" and "Dirty" are common colloquial references to no flaps/flaps conditions, and that is how I used it.

The figures you quoted were either simply designed to mislead or the person posting them didn't bother to notice that for a P-51D to have a wing loading of 48 lbs/foot it would have to weigh in at over 11,100 lbs...indicating full fuel *and* drop tanks. And it is clear from the differences in stall speed that the P-51 has the better lift-loading, not just lighter wing-loading by crude lbs/feet estimates.

The only problems I've heard about the Fws being heavy in AHII were regarding the 190 A-8, the claim there IIRC being that it has the weight of an up-armored version but in the opinion of those making the claim it lacks the toughness one would expect from an up-armored version.

I can't rattle the mathematical formulas off the top of my head, but I've read enough from Shaw and others to learn that the plane with the better lift loading will have the better instantaneous turn rate and radius, and almost always the smaller sustained turn radius. It is possible for a plane with a better power loading to have an equal or superior turn rate despite heavier loading, as the D9 apparently does in AHII. There is a limit however, especially with prop planes. Thus the 109 K-4 does not beat the A6M in sustained turn rate, despite a vastly superior power loading.

So the physics of the P-51 turning slightly better than both the A and D makes perfect sense, and is borne out by WWII testing and combat reports, where the P-51D was found to be slightly more nimble. Thus there is nothing to complain about in the relative performance of P-51 and 190, although one might *might* be justifiable in wondering why the turn so poorly for their wingloading in relation to most other craft in AHII.

i think *clean* re the weight means nothing hanging off the plane, tanks, bombs etc ...

i don't think stall speed is stated at all in the data i posted ...

also i think  some have said the FWs are a bit heavy, is that just the a8 ?

still even with your numbers either the dora or the a5 should clearly out turn the pony depending on whether you choose to consider wing-loading as more important, or power loading as more important ...

right?

+S+

t
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:26:27 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
17 pages of "I'm right and you're wrong!!!!".    :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
too bad the 1-2 notches weren't tested ...

i'm afraid i brought reality into this discussion ...

just curious about stuff i guess ...

+S+

t

The reality is that it *has* been tested and the P-51D gains its best sustained turn rate at 1 notch of flaps. IIRC...pretty sure though.

Full flaps give it a smaller radius but result in degradation of turn rate, as is the case with most planes.

This is perfectly consistent with physical reality, because sustained radius is mostly about being able to fly as slowly as possible, while sustained rate is determined by a more complex interaction of lift and drag.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2009, 02:20:26 AM »
What I dont understand is why anyone thinks the Dora should out turn the P51 anyway. By all reports I have read the Dora was a disappointment in service against the P-51 and the Ta-152 was supposed to be the answer (an answer that came too late and too few in number).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2009, 03:56:48 AM »
not mine ...

Then why all the whining over there?  :noid

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2009, 05:55:06 AM »
17 pages of "I'm right and you're wrong!!!!".    :rock

:)

Just because two are arguing doesn't mean one is right. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2009, 06:14:24 AM »
:)

Just because two are arguing doesn't mean one is right. :P

but one can be more wrong than the other :D

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »
What I dont understand is why anyone thinks the Dora should out turn the P51 anyway. By all reports I have read the Dora was a disappointment in service against the P-51 and the Ta-152 was supposed to be the answer (an answer that came too late and too few in number).

I'd like to read those reports.

All things considered, even if it was considered unsatisfactory I'm not sure how relevant that would be to it's turn radius/rate.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
Why do so many people hinge the ability of a fighter on its turn radius?