Author Topic: Wishing for AAA  (Read 947 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Wishing for AAA
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:27:50 PM »
OK folks, I know this has been brought up many times, in multiple threads, but since you are asking for my wish list:

1.  Large Caliber (88mm or higher) mannable ack at fields.  Face it folks, 37mm just ain't enough to stop the vulchers.  I'm not asking for a CV's worth of AAA at each small field, but a few mannable 5" singles (or the 128mm german late-war equivalent), or even 88's would at least give one the possibility of hitting a 8K buff intent on blasting all the fighter hangers to oblivion.  It's not like were asking for some radar-directed uber cannon here, just the ability to be somewhat dangerous to a set of lancs hedgehopping over the field laying 1,000lb bombs all over my nice clean field.  

Those of us intent on ground attack will still be coming in to de-ack, but at least it will be a little bit scary knowing that I can get an 88 shell in the kisser as I'm diving in.

2.  Related Wish:  ACK TOWERs.  If you do any reading up on these, you can find examples of the various types.  They range from windmill sized (and disguised) quad 20mm towers all the way up to the city defending behemoths mounting 4 pairs of 128-mm guns (as well as a large number of smaller mounts).  These babies would make ground attack missions a true gut-check.

Check these out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak_Tower

Furballers can still have all the fun they want, they just need to stay a few miles away from the field to be safe.  Bombers and Ground Attack guys get a more-realistic idea of what it was like to face a mass of AAA when going in on a target.  Large caliber ack guns don't stop attacks (just ask anyone that has watched their CV sink), but they should help prevent vulching and you get an added bonus in vehicle defense as well.

My $0.02 worth (again).

EagleDNY

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Re: Wishing for AAA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:22:27 PM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
OK folks, I know this has been brought up many times, in multiple threads, but since you are asking for my wish list:

1.  Large Caliber (88mm or higher) mannable ack at fields.  Face it folks, 37mm just ain't enough to stop the vulchers.  I'm not asking for a CV's worth of AAA at each small field, but a few mannable 5" singles (or the 128mm german late-war equivalent), or even 88's would at least give one the possibility of hitting a 8K buff intent on blasting all the fighter hangers to oblivion.  It's not like were asking for some radar-directed uber cannon here, just the ability to be somewhat dangerous to a set of lancs hedgehopping over the field laying 1,000lb bombs all over my nice clean field.  

Those of us intent on ground attack will still be coming in to de-ack, but at least it will be a little bit scary knowing that I can get an 88 shell in the kisser as I'm diving in.

My $0.02 worth (again).

EagleDNY

puff ack yes, with manual fuse set for player use, also with AP option to defend fields

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
Wishing for AAA
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:44:42 AM »
Good write Eagle,

I have stated and wished for these implements since the AH1 days.

As it is right now most field "ACK" is a joke at best. Most of the time you hear  "gimme a sec I'll de-ack the field"
When it should be  "I'm not going down there until I get some help!!!!"

It should however be balanced, certain amount & type of gun batteries per size of field.

I honestly believe ALL gun positions should be allowed to be manned, PERIOD!

If someone is NOT in the gun,  AI should take over but be like it is now {not very effective}

1. 20mm turrets and gun towers
2. 37mm & 40mm Bofors guns {they were used by many sides}
3. 5" guns or 88's {I would make these towable and have to be deployed and use a minium of two players to use the weapon}
4. Moble AA like the Wirbelwind {my favorite}
5. Towable artillery

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »
See Rule #10
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:18:36 PM by Skuzzy »
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »

yes

I wonder what everyone will think of it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
Wow.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
And now for something relevent to the original post.

Only if you have to set the time for fuses to detonation like they had in real life.

Could make it very interesting.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »
hehehehe, I hope this thread goes some where :noid....

I wish we could get the truck mounted version of these:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_75/46_C.A._modello_34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_90/53
this one is even superior to the '88 in several aspects:

1) it had a higher muzzle velocity meaning greater armor penetration
2)larger shell meaning more explosive power in each shell

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »

LOL our current HQ looks strikingly simmilar to this flak tower:

opposum
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
you know what, screw the 75mm cannon I suggested, I want the truck mounted 90mm one. That would be great. Provide some heavy AA for GV'ers as well

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
+1 for the idea, but I would like to see the CV ack fixed to be more effective against buffs trying to sink the freakin thing  :uhoh

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
How so? if you want it to reach up to 41k then your outa luck. If you want it to better simulate damage done then that MIGHT be a damage modle issue. If you've spotted a bug in the gun or its effectivnes that everyone else missed then tell us.

And I've found a suitable AA gun for airfields and it could be hauled by a truck so it could be deployed around a GV furball, or you could drag one out to their base and plaster the guys killing your squadies....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90_mm_M3_gun#M2 See M1, M1A1, and M2 for complete info on it. But I'm asking for the 90mm M2. It was a US AAA gun hauled around by a truck so pull up, set up the gun, and bang your killing anyone withing a couple k of you.