Author Topic: FSO: The Alderangriff - Quick Air to Air Stats  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
Re: FSO: The Alderangriff - Quick Air to Air Stats
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »
60 Rounds of cannon may seem insignificant, but be advised that those cannon rounds and the 109 MG rounds aren't going into bombers. They're going into wooden planes.
By comparison, the .303's have to damage and destroy metal bombers that have a higher capacity for damage.
And yes, we're all aware the wingroot and cockpit are the best places to shoot, and yes, it is part of the "ambiance" of the BOB.

Rolling Thunder

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
"109E armament isn't easier, it's just different"

Ya I agree, I have done many of these and its always interesting to try the two different types out; the 303s have a real "buzzsaw" effect, and I will say again, seem to be very underestimated by some, untill they are hit at d200 by those things, and the 20mm MG-FF, which yes, have greater hitting power, IF you land a hit, and IF you do so before the drum runs dry.

"They're going into wooden planes."

The "metal fighter" A6M2 Zeros ability to sustain any kind of battle damage was notoriously weak.

The Hurricanes were partially wood (rear fuselage only) and had a great capacity for sustaining battle damage, and were also easier to repair. Nothing wrong with wood. The underlying armor (steel armor) for the crews, and self sealing tanks, was what made the Luftwaffe's 1940 bombers more difficult to shoot down. The pre war notion was that a battery of machine guns firing incindiery ammo, would light up a bomber and burn it. This was before fuel tanks became self sealing. This was a major reason why Japanese a/c were not able to sustain a lot of hits, because their crews were fatally vulnerable, and the fuel cells would burn like a roman candle when hit. 

But I take your point that the 20mm MG-FFs are aimed at fighters, and of course, are easier to shoot down than a bomber. True enough.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline FBJester

• Zinc Member
      • FREEBIRD$
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
 We had a great time, some of our sticks had never been in early birds, so it took some getting use to.
But we did get a couple in the top ten, luckily, but you could feel the pensiveness and sense of urgency you dont get in the MA.
The idea of scrambling at the sound of the bell, could be interesting, in a game that strives as best it can to be close to what happened, it could add another dimension. Anyway, great job all.

Hats off to the crew that puts these together,......... outstanding.

:salute
Capt. FBJester
FREEBIRD$ Operations Officer
"One can become enthusiastic over anything. For a time I was delighted with bomb throwing. It gave me a tremendous pleasure to bomb those fellows from above."
-Manfred Von Richthoffen
http://freebirdsquad.webs.com/