Author Topic: Lose sight; lose fight  (Read 1237 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Lose sight; lose fight
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
For me, I see the difference as "instantly" going (snapping) from one view to the next, or "quickly" going (panning) from one view to the next. 

The difference isn't drastic, but it's noticeable if you watch for it.

The difference is that in the Snap option, I can see the canopy rails etc quickly moving through my vision, whereas in the Instant option, it's either view "A" or view "B" with no movement from one to the next.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm glad you still use views instead of TrackIR Mtnman.  It makes your films better and easier to watch.  Looking at your views makes it easier to follow  your thought patterns I think.  I still find myself trying to lean and turn my head to get around that metal plate in back though. 

It never ever occurred to me, through years of aw and my almost year of AH, until I read this thread that most guys don't nearly always watch the bad guy and ignore their own plane.  I find that I'm astounded by that.  I just can't imagine or picture it. 

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
Instant is just that, instant. You hit the hat to look to the right for example, and the view is instantly looking to the right.

Snap your view quickly moves from front around to the right. Its a minor difference, but with practice you can learn to quickly do a 360 degree scan in less than a second. You "walk" the hat switch around just as fast as the view changes. Just a quick buzz around, if no red cons flash by, chances are your clear and can continue your fight.

Doing so every 3 - 10 seconds builds your SA, gives you a better idea of who's where, who's a threat, and who isn't. You don't need to sit and stare at each view for a second. Just slip around the 360, and if you see a flash of red then go back to that view.  Evaluate range, and threat level, and adjust your plans accordingly. The more planes in the area, and the lower you are the more often you need to take that quick look around.

Especially when your in a tail chase, ie your on the bad guys 6, and he's looking to make tracks. Your looking to close the range and get the kill. That is not the time to drop your SA, thats the time to redouble your scans. Adjust lead, fire a burst, scan, adjust lead, fire a burst, scan.

All too easy to get target locked, and thats when someone else picks you off.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:36:47 AM »
Invest in a TrackIR.........   :angel:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 06:06:31 AM »
What about this "tab+F11" option to keep track of the enemy? I tried it, but mostly I lose my orientation if I get the back left or right view. I have to look front to see, that I don´t hit the ground soon. But then the view will not go back to the tabbed enemy.

Regards
SF
‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
What about this "tab+F11" option to keep track of the enemy? I tried it, but mostly I lose my orientation if I get the back left or right view. I have to look front to see, that I don´t hit the ground soon. But then the view will not go back to the tabbed enemy.
That's called padlock. Personally, I don't like it for the reason you mentioned - too disorienting. It's easier to know my attitude relative to my target if I either had to
1) Push a button (snap views)
2) Scroll my mouse over (mouse look as I'm doing right now)
3) Move my head (TrackIR)

The tactile sensation of having to perform one of these actions makes it easier to know where my virtual eyes are pointed.

I guess the advantage to padlock is automated target tracking and the fact you can zoom in more easily to assess your opponent's attitude.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »
Your SA padlock does ruin and your target fixation it encourages, Yeesssssss.
To death most often leading, anger and the dark side follow close behind. 

Head on a swivel, emotionless, be, aware of all that moves around you must. 
You, open, must be, accepting, of your limitations aware.
See all, you must, and to the force and success choose the path that leads you.  Yes, hmmm

Offline Dragon88

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
Ghosth, crack me up, you do.