Author Topic: New price is great but.....  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
New price is great but.....
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
Man, just take the underrated planes (205, 109f/g2, a6m, spitV, seafire, la5, ki61) and you'll have enough points for a tempest in 1 night of playing.  Easily.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
As a matter of basic business principals in the face of competition, either give the customer what he wants or he won't be a customer. If I were a score oriented newbie, I might want access to the best planes and as my skills improved voluntarily downgrade to more challenging aircraft. Now that the CT is open, I could care less if the MA is full of C-hogs or N1Ks  :p

In any sport where you want a good matchup, some sort of handicap system ensures the best players have to work harder to balance the game. In football, the better teams get tougher schedules and later draft picks. Instead, the perk system ensures that the people who need the best planes don't get them. Maybe it should be inverted. For instance, if your kill to death ratio is too far above the overall average in a particular type of aircraft, the perk cost increases to discourage you from using that aircraft. But alas, any perk system will deny some customer the right to fly the plane of his choice, and you will lose any customers that are focused on a perked plane they cannot have.

Since so many customers have conflicting wants, HTC can either come up with a compromise that makes no one 100% happy (but hopefully appeals to the majority) or offer all of the requested alternatives (reducing the total numbers in any one arena and defeating the purpose of online flying).

Presently they have taken the latter choice with the introduction of the CT. Maybe there should be 3 arenas: historical, strat/score oriented, and unlimited furball. Of course you could argue that HtH fulfills the furball role. If you don't like CT or MA, save some money and keep flying HtH.

Personally, I will be found only in the CT most of the time unless I want a break from its current planeset. I also found HtH more entertaining than the MA when all 8 players were skilled and cooperated. 4 vs 4 fights or smaller is representative of the majority of actual engagements. Larger numbers are needed for the strat elements to work right, but I am not interested in the fantasy nature of the current MA strat system and would rather focus on sharpening my meager acm/gunnery skills in a historical context with a little level bombing on the side for variety.

Disagreeing with the newbie's opinion is more than acceptable, this is a discussion board. Insulting him for disagreeing with your opinion or implying that your opinion somehow counts more than his is downright wrong.

Ultimately, HTC must make a profit to exist. They must follow a profitable path just to survive (whatever that might be as defined by all of the paying customers). Of course, they don't have to follow the most profitable one. They can always choose to follow their own opinions and principles at the expense of profits.

I love AH as it is now, and from my perspective, I believe it will only keep getting better. I hope the lower price draws so many new players that HTC makes even more money than before so that they can continue to make me a happy customer. If enough people are willing to pay and play, I am sure HTC could eventually come up with enough variations on their product to make everyone that likes flight sims happy.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread but everytime I see the statement "the arena full of La7's", I'm gonna yell.

Where are all these La7's? Dejavu posted kills stats (since we don't have sortie stats, this will have to work)on 082501. At that time, the la7 was 4th on the list with 8.62% of the kills. Since it's introduction to AH, it has never been higher than 4th and this latest percentage is the highest its ever been. To put it into perspective, the N1K was 1st with 14.73% at time of reporting.

Granted, its an awesome plane but the arena is not "full" of La7's.

Back to topic.

Mighty1, get back here! We miss ya and yore bro.  :) Perk points? Bah! I have more than 1500 and never use em. You of all people won't need to, lol.

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
HTC !!

i got something like 2500 perk points and never use them. Give them to this whinnnnnnnnner so he can shut up !

RWY

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
Too bad there can't be a system which limits use by a first-come-first-serve system rather than a perk system which really benefits the better flyers.  Such as limit how many of a certain type of aircraft can take off from each base based on the numbers produced or saw combat.  I'm just throwing out an idea, but it would at least give the newbie the same shake at trying to get what is currently a perk plane as it would the veteran.  

Oh yeah, and the arena IS full of LA7's.  I see the three stooges everywhere I go...LA7s, N1K's and Spits.  For me, since I mostly fly F6F, F4U and P51B, I avoid combat as best I can vs the LA7 because I at least have a little chance vs the Spit and N1K because they do have some faults.  Also, I like dying to a variety of aircraft types and again will avoid LA7s if I can.  Maybe others avoid LA7s too and that affects the LA7's kills.  Come up in an F6F and you are bound to find action.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Explain the numbers Puke. La7 is 4th. P51D is 3rd. A fourth stooge maybe but not 3.

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
Just an idea:

At the beginning of the month (each new tour), everyone starts with 100 perk points (or whatever the most expensive perk cost is). The points from the previous tour are replaced. Everyone starts with the same amount.

This gives everyone an opportunity to fly any plane they wish in the MA at least once. They can blow it all at once on the most expensive or fly the some of the other planes plenty of times.

I think this would add more meaning to the perk point system for those who currently are sitting on thousands and at the same time give new players a taste of what they could have if they get out there and earn the points.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
Hello Mighty1!

Hope to see you back up in AH someday.  The dweebfactor is getting rediculously high as of late and a good stick like yourself tends to level load the masses.

Perks aint nuthin and if you would spend a few hours online flying smart as usual, you would have your fighter perks ready to go.

Buff perks are a little tougher to get   ;)

Y  <S>
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
Well, the arena is a mighty big place but over the past few days I've been downed by La7s a lot.  Still see a few P38s here and there, but as I said before, its largely La7s, Niks and Spits.

Look, you guys can say what you want about the perk system.  You claim if more of the planeset is full of Late War planes and the perks are reduced, people will leave.  Why?  These game is based on airplanes from the WW2 ERA.  Not just the ones you want, or I want.  The ERA.  I just find the argument that folks will ditch AcesHigh because perks are reduced or more late war planes come out is arrogant presumption.  I have no use for ground vehicles, but we've got em, same thing with mannable ack and ships.  Just because they are there when I'd rather see other things doesn't mean Im throwing a tantrum and leaving.

But this all wanders far off the point the original poster made.  Its just not very fair that the rank newbie can't have at the perk planes for such a long time as it is is set now.  Hopefully the perk system is in flux and open to experimentation.  Heck, try the Geritol Theory...give everyone 1 a day and after that, they gotta have the required perks.  Now everyone has a chance to ride them.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
No I earned my 4800 fighter points killing wild hordes of Nikishitfires in my Me109G6, I refuse to have them revoked just to satisfy the whims and complaints of whiners.

If you think perkplanes are expense here is a hint.

Take a 109F4 with gondola cannon, this plane turns ok and climbs ok and isnt as slow as a spitV or zero. Now go kill F4Us and spitfires and nikis in it. In a few hours you will have masses of points as each kill will give you some 3-5 points.

However!

It would be OK for HTC to credit each new account with 50 fighter points. This way the new guys are substantially closer to a Tempest but still have to do some killing to fully earn the Perk plane.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
"Too bad there can't be a system which limits use by a first-come-first serve system.."

Steven, have you seen what some people think is appropriate gameplay for the fleets, no? That's bad enough, I'd hate to see what it would be like if planes were exposed to the same type of manipulative power by making them limited to a certain number and availability based on first-come, first served..

Why should someone who's spent the whole day crashing Arados' because he can't fly them make it so that when I log on at night there are none left to use?  Or the ijdit who gets a kick out of purposely doing the same for the stock of ME-262's for one side only to then switche to another countries so he and his buddZ can fly thiers unhindered?

I'd rather have it available for the right price versus having it only once a month on a special day or worse only having it available if the dweebs and idiots don't run out of them first.

Westy

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Well, the arena is a mighty big place but over the past few days I've been downed by La7s a lot. Still see a few P38s here and there, but as I said before, its largely La7s, Niks and Spits.

You've been shot down by the same number of P51D's, yet you don't mention them. Why is that? Debate the data.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
...It would be OK for HTC to credit each new account with 50 fighter points. This way the new guys are substantially closer to a Tempest but still have to do some killing to fully earn the Perk plane.

I like this idea. If they got 70 points when they log in they would propably lose that fighter in 15 min. If they need to get some points they already know what could happen if you fly to the furball with Tempest   :D

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Pongo you are saying the same thing I am. Why take away a plane someone likes to fly?

The point I was trying to make is at least with a rolling plane set EVERYONE gets to fly the available AC.

Now if you see a Tempest it's probably being flown by a good pilot and he has an even bigger advantage over the newbie than before.
Why?

What is the advantage [game wise] of giving a person who flies all the time and is considered a better than average pilot an AC that the others cannot have?

Hey look! I'm just pointing out my view of the perk system. It's not a slam on anyone nor is it a slam on AH. I still think this is the best flight sim around but I think the Perk system needs to be re-thought.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
Mighty perk planes are so rare in the MA that you are really in no disadvantage without flying them.

The Ta152 is useless at MA alts and a host of non-perk planes easily outperform it at typical AH alts.

The Tempest is a spectacular plane by all means. Its fast, climbs great, turns ok, dives and has great firepowe. However if you are not full careful a P51 La7 Typhoon and Me109G10 can catch you if they dive on you.

Another problem with tempests is their high visibilty in the MA. Whenever one shows up it becomes a gian neon "come kill me" sign. I have seen often 6 or more people chase one Tempest.

Basically its good plane but also very limiting.

As for Ar234, it only has enough bombs to kill one hanger.

Please dont let this irrational and baseless fear take you out of AH and make you miss the new $14.95 price.