Author Topic: New price is great but.....  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
New price is great but.....
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
I would say the Perk system works just about the way it should.  

It doesn't matter if you play 12 hours a day or 2 hours a day. It still takes the same ratio of played time to perk ride time.

True, I think the cost of some aircraft is somewhat excessive, but thats ok since it applies equally across the board.

And Apache I agree with you  :) It totally irks the toejam outta me to see all the "the sky is full of La7's it needs perked" crap, when the numbers just don't support that.  Yup, I fly the La7, but I've been flying the Russian fighters full time since the Yak-9U first came out. Many Many Many moons ago.

Pyro, maybe its finally time for the Yak-9UT you promised me  ;)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
What I do know is that I very rarely see perk planes.  I've seen two or three this Tour and have flown two as well, a Ta152H-1 and an Ar234A.

The problem that I have is that I don't have enough perk points to actually become familiar with the Tempest or Ta152H-1. At this point I have 400 Fighter perks and almost 200 bomber perks, but to become slightly familiar with the Tempest's flight envelope I would have to burn all those points, and by the time I could afford another, I'd have lost what feel for it I had gained.

They're just too expensive for them to be worth worrying about. The Ar234 has such a light bombload that it can scarcely affect the MA, and it dumps its bombs and runs if even slightly threatened. The Tempest and Ta152H-1 are both capable fighter, but nothing stunningly special when placed alongside the free La7, P-51D, Fw190D-9 and Typhoon MkIb.

At this point I just won't worry about it.  I doubt if I'll ever fly a Me262 online.

BTW, the first perk plane I saw was a Ta152H-1 when I was in a Ta152H-1.  We had a nice duel in which neither of us was shot down.

The second perk plane I saw was a Tempest when I was flying a P-38L.  I shot the Tempest down.  :D
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
<S> Verm.

Yeah, numbers is what got the f4u1c perked and I have no problem with that. Well as we say here down south, "whats good for the goose is good for the gander". I'm using that very same data used against the f4u1c to support my postion on the La7. The numbers simply do not add up.

I apologize to the community for the hijack. I will shut up now.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
I like the idea of starting each tour with all players having an equal amount of Perkies.  Then assign Perk values to ALL planes, and let players choose.  If you fly a lot and get kills, you get to fly whatever you want for the whole tour.  If you fly a lot and die a lot, you get stuck in unpopular planes by the end of the tour.  If you only fly occassionally, you get to choose any plane when you do fly.  Newbies get to try the hot planes -- once or twice, every tour.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
I think I've seen one Tempest in the last 2 weeks and it's been well over a month since I've seen a 152. If your point is that the perks aren't fair because they do not allow you to fly these planes very often, then ok. But if your thinking that the arena is full of perk planes flown by all the best sticks who happen to rack up tons and tons of perks and then club down newbies in these perk rides... it's just not happening. As it is, my ride the chog got perked... and I aint minding that so much. This is *not* a big deal Mighty.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
if it makes you feel any better, I MAKEthe planes, and I can't even fly some...... it's just gonna make me try harder, and earn more points.

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
perk the 190a8 i em sure no Lw fan wil whine   :D

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
RESET all perks each tour.  At the beginning of each tour all players have 100 perk points.  As the tour comes to a close perhaps there would be more and more perk planes flying, sort of an rps lol.  ok mebbe not..

Yeah I like Exile's idea, with it we all start on an even playing field.  I had 1800 perkies earned when the perk system was introduced, i changed accts etc and now don't have them, but I see players with 3-4-6000 points... some of these guys need never fly a "regular" plane again.  and Most of these points where earned during the perk point bugs era.  Resetting everyone's perks at some point is fair IMO.  Those players with 4000 points will ALWAYS be able to fly anything they wish.  The plane perk costs have to be so low as to be reachable by the masses that no plane can be costly enough for the hi points guys to ever not be able to fly perk rides....

And besides... the guys with 4000 points... perks no longer mean anything to them, whats to keep them in the game?  The constant pursuit of a goal, like in games like EQ is what keeps players in the game trying to reach the next level.  If perkies reset each month, hmm after awhile i guess even that could become boring... i dunno
The perk system as it stands would not be so bad if it weren't for the perk bug period.

WIPE EVERYONE"S PERKS!!

SKurj

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
Westy,

<<<Why should someone who's spent the whole day crashing Arados' because he can't fly them make it so that when I log on at night there are none left to use?>>>
Not that I'm pushing for the idea, I just threw it out there as one way to even things out between vets and newbies for the us of what are now "perked" planes.  But what I meant was that there would be only a limited number of planes in the AIR from one base at a time.  Crash an Arado, then an Arado becomes available in the Hangar again.  If you want to fly an Arado and five are in the air already, you have to wait until one crashes or lands/exits.  

Below 10,000 feet, I still say it's the 3-Stooges film festival of N1K, Spit and LA7.  A kill list is a general rule to determine numbers flown but it is based on things that would be misleading.  No kill, no death, but landed...not scored.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2001, 06:52:00 PM »
I hardly if ever use my perk points. The perk points I do use, I quickly get back within a few sorties. (I get between 5 and 18 perk points a sortie recently)

I've got 1700+, but I would like to be able to save them should the desire arise within me to take up a perk plane (when new ones come out) that I think would be interesting.

As is, I don't have enough perk points for an Arado. Every once and a while I get the urge to fly one.. but I can't, so I don't. I don't get upset and come to the UBB "I don't have enough perk points because I don't fly as much as the next guy does"

I just hope that when I login I get there during resets.

As for gaining fighter perk points, that's one of the easiest things for me and the most fun. Everytime I land a sortie, I like to see how many I get... it's basically the rank system or score system for me.

Anyways, back to whatever this thread is really about..
-SW

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2001, 07:07:00 PM »
Erm, to make the planeset open to all because newbies dont get the chance to fly perk planes... then what is to stop the vets from flying them? I mean, give a newbie an me262, IF he can take off with it, he's bound to be vulched by a vet in another me262. Big deal.

They should be able to fly the perk planes in the TA or DA for free (I think they can actually) if they want to fly it or become familiar with it. Heck, I spent 2 hours in the TA just trying to figure out how to slow down and land the damn arado without missing or flying off the end of the runway at 200mph when the arado was introduced.. and I did this before trying it in the MA!

I see a tempest almost every day (1 a day, 2 or 3 at a most), a scarce ta152 and some arado's venturing around. They are not that common, but they are not just sitting there either.

Giving perk points at the start of each tour is a good idea. IF each perk ride is about the amount I mentioned earlier, then at the start of each tour, if the server detects a player has less than 150 points, it will bump the perk points to 150. If it detects a player has more than 150 points, it wont give the player perk points. This way any newbie will be able to fly the planes a few times (3 me262's or about a dozen la7's and its likes). If the newbies crash their points and cant get more, heck, is it the fault of the rest of the playerbase? They'd better learn to fly the planes and start getting their own points...at least until the next tour.

Give everyone a CHANCE to fly the perk rides, yes, make them freely avaliable, NO. I dont want to see Mr. Newbie rampaging in an me262 and then everyone else being forced to fly the me262 because if they dont they have no chance. Look at ww2ol now, almost everyone is tanks and not infantry. Why? Tanks are faster, better armed, more powerful, harder to hit.. and l33t against inf. Same will happen to AH if no controls are put in (aka, perk system). Good thing the CHOG horror is passed, that was the 2 most horrible months ive seen in this game.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
SWulfe,

How to get 18 perk points in a mission?

I get 0.5 to 5.6 (once this tour) per mission, unless you count base captures.

Maybe this is an example of how the Perk system favors those who play a lot and are consquently better.  It looks like it takes me far more effort, far more game time, to earn a Tempest than it does you.

I would guess that I earn about 100 fighter perk points per tour.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
I just get into the big fuballs with a 190A5, La5FN or P51B and bring back 7 or 8 kills.

My norm lately has been about 12 perk points. You have to land it of course to get those massive perk point multipliers.

As for rewarding those who play more, well I hardly classify as one of those who play more. Flown maybe a combined total of 30 hours for the past two tours.
-SW

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
SWulfe,

Well, you don't play a lot.  About the same as I do, but you are certainly better than me by a long shot.

<S>  Good work on your skill.

What I do know is that most of us, and certainly most newbies, can't earn perk points at anywhere near that rate.  We also land far fewer of our flights.

I'm barely breaking even in K/D this tour.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
A few months ago, when I first started flying AH, I couldn't wait to get enough bomber perks to fly the Arado super perk plane.  I finally did and immediately took it on a mission.  Thats the last time I flew the Arado... I haven't even bothered to take up a Tempest yet, but I am glad I don't have to fight off Tempests every time I go up in a bomber.  Also remember that in football, the best teams get the number one seeds come playoff time.  ;)