Author Topic: P-47D "Ole Cock" Winter Camo Project  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: P-47D "Ole Cock" Winter Camo Project
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »
Research those authors. See if they have valid claims and historical sources in their books. Osprey Publishing is dedicated to history and historical events. So that is a good start. Read at the back of the books and make notes of the sources that the author used. Then try to look up those sources and see if they are valid. Hopefully that will help you determine which colors you should use.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »
Ah true I forgot about those, so which is correct? Azure blue, grey or metal underside? I cant tell from any of the pics in the PDF at the top of the page.

If its an O.D. painted scheme, it'll have a medium gray ventral fuselage paint.  The 56th had some more "custom" late-model D paint jobs, but I'd feel certain that this one, which appears to be a normal O.D./Gray scheme under the white, had a normal scheme.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline fyvsix

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
My understanding was that the 56th got hold of RAF paint for their various camo jobs. I can't remember where I read it though.
Schiling in game Cave Tonitrum!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »
Now I stand at a delima, many book authors suggest that "Ole Cock" would have been grey and dark grey with a blue underside.  Yet most the of the 8AF had a metal finish on the underside.  Not sure which is correct and the right direction to go. :headscratch: :(

The "Ole Cock" we have in game now is as you described as are the Osprey Publishing profiles I've seen.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
I think all of them look good. :)