Author Topic: Winds Aloft, and crosswind landings.  (Read 448 times)

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
Winds Aloft, and crosswind landings.
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »
It would be great if there were winds aloft, that would effect the time speed and fuel usage on a mission.  Also have wind at the airports, some of the down the runway and some as Crosswinds.  Crosswind landings can really make or break a pilot in real life.  It would just add some realism to the game.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Re: Winds Aloft, and crosswind landings.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
Heh. I'm sure you didn't fly in DoB where half the allied air force was wiped out on landing at A45 because of broken gear.

Would it be challenging? Yes.

Would it be fun? Nope.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
Wind doesn't interact with anything touching "ground" properly, this includes GVs, PTs, LVTs, planes (with gear on ground). Really screws everything up.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »
Wind DOES have an Effect on landing aircraft, It is even in the written test for getting your private pilot.  If the wind is too strong, and too great an angle to the runway a plane can even be out of the "envelope" and cant land.  IT is especially a factor in conventional gear aircraft.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »
But not here! Thats what Krusty and Beefcake are saying. The way wind is modeled in AH isn't the way it works in real life. It would be reasonably realistic, but it wouldn't be fun. HT himself has said that if an item of realism reduces fun, he will leave it out.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »
Heh. I'm sure you didn't fly in DoB where half the allied air force was wiped out on landing at A45 because of broken gear.

Would it be challenging? Yes.

Would it be fun? Nope.

Beefcake likes no wind on the deck...its in his genes...

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
As a buff pilot wind doesn't affect me at all since I usually fly bricks, and those bricks usually have thick struts. :cool: I just know that fighter pilots will have problems with it.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:46:49 AM »
Doesn't affect your landing so much, no... :noid
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
?I like the idea of wind.  Have it switch directions and speed just like the sun and moon move around the sky.  Every hour or so, have the wind move 15 degrees.  Heck, jeep the wind speed the same for the entire map, perhaps a 5-12 mph spread?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.