Author Topic: WW1 arena  (Read 8469 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: WW1 arena
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »
thing is you can't out manuver them so good luck with that lol.

That's like saying "Good luck with shooting down a Hurricane Mk I in your F4U4".

What would you manoeuvre for? Hahaha.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »
I think there is going to be alot of collisions in the WWI arena. I like the idea though. I play ROF alot.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
First, this is great HTC and Thank You.

The worry warts and naysayers should feel confident in how strong the WWII portion of Aces High is and will always be. From my AW days I remember the WWI arena had a small dedicated following like the AvA today. WWI aircombat was not as attractive then to most players as WWII aircombat. Especially after you discover it's not as easy as hopping in the cockpit and cranking out all your best winning MA tricks. Also, once you engage there is no WEP and a dive way at 550mph to save you. Dives will kill your crate more times than your opponent in WWI combat. It's very much like the 1vs1 part of the DA. You are stuck until you kill him or he does it to you.

This will be very frustrating for some players who are not sure of their skills for whom the LWMA technology gives them breathing room. On the other hand, large scale furballs will have the potential to look like keystone cops with "Spray and Pray Sticks" in a china shop.  Especially with our collision model. :cheers:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
If as I suspect the "outside" WWI types come to AH to fly WWI planes then the WWII guys will not be bothered by the things they describe.

Actually my concern is that the WWI arena may not be big enough to hold all the guys that want to fly in it.  There is a whole world of WWI pilots out there who care less about WWII planes, I think HTC has made a good decision and if they have to add a couple more guys to the staff in this lousy economy so much the better (I have a son in the gaming industry so like gaming expansion  :) ).

As for type of play yes it will be different gone are the GV's, cannon kills, etc etc, but in its place are pure air combat, bombing and other types of strat.  It will be a DF server at first but soon the clamor for bombers and more aircraft will lead to a DOA type of arena (which I found NOT to be boring in the least until after Dale and company got out of it)
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
Personally I'm looking forward to this - not that I expect to last long in a fight, but it gives me time to practise the moves for the other arena's in a slower pace (hopefully anyway).

Plus, it'll make a nice addition to the current game.

Thanks HTC and Crew,

:salute

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
Those of you talking about collisions, remember, the speeds are a lot lower so the displayed positions on each person's front end will be in much closer agreement than in the WWII arenas.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2009, 12:56:25 AM »
All I can say is :aok and long overdue.

Can't wait to jump in the old Sopwith Camel.

Personally I'm looking forward to this - not that I expect to last long in a fight, but it gives me time to practise the moves for the other arena's in a slower pace (hopefully anyway).

If it's anything at all like WWI in AW the pace will be much much faster.  These things turn on a dime.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
Those of you talking about collisions, remember, the speeds are a lot lower so the displayed positions on each person's front end will be in much closer agreement than in the WWII arenas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8OOw5tRcY

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2009, 02:02:55 AM »
I am not sure I'm excited to fly at 120mph.  But we'll see.

Most of our fights end up slower than that anyways.  ;)
-AoM-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2009, 02:07:44 AM »
If you like furballs and such with hurri1, spit1, 109E, brewster and I16, WWI combat will be a gas. I've noticed over the years when more powerful planes are avilable in the set, most players opt out for Quake vs. Halo on steroids. I could be wrong, but when was the last time we saw one of the top LW hot sticks land 12 kills with a I16.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2009, 02:15:24 AM »
Wurzel posted this in the squadron forum.

This is our O'Club's on the first day WWI arena's go up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mISoR_3eXY
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:17:54 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has all ready been covered by others at the CON.

1.) It was stated that there are no plans to add WW1 bombers

2.) There will be no base captures or strat targets

3.) The bases will be about 5 miles apart because of the slower speeds.

4.)The bases will not have ACK
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8OOw5tRcY
That video has 100% nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2009, 02:28:33 AM »
Looks like Waffle has hit the ball out of the park once again, dam he's good!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »
Francesco Baracca's  spad-XIII ftw!!!! Will these new planes attract more French ppl now ?  :noid

WWI = dogfight at his pure state, and I'm no good at it.  :joystick:

cheers :cheers:

Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~