Author Topic: WW1 arena  (Read 8367 times)

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
Re: WW1 arena
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
Since nobody plays in the Early War Arena, A WW I arena would be a gigantic waste of HTC efforts.  If you don't believe me,  go visit the Early War Arena ...it's a ghost town

I vote;  NO!

Helm ...out
i do not think so. Why? maybe the main reason for EW Arena looks like a ghost town is that every type of plane available over there its also available in every other Arena. On the other hand a WWI arena will have planes available only in this specific arena. So for every one that wants to fly -for a change- a WWI machine that will be the only place. That alone will make this arena unique.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »
Most of our fights end up slower than that anyways.  ;)

AH Scotch beat me to it. After the initial merge my plane is a helicopter.

I was about to order Rise of Flight. Now I dont have too. :x

I think it will be a hoot. It will be interesting.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
Since nobody plays in the Early War Arena, A WW I arena would be a gigantic waste of HTC efforts.  If you don't believe me,  go visit the Early War Arena ...it's a ghost town

Hmm the reason I dont fly ew has nothing to do with the planes sets. It just sucks to fly 25 miles not to find any fight. you have 4 guys trying to take a base. I don't have the time to fly for two hrs looking for another con. anyway thats my $.02

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
I hope that the planes fly like they are supposed too. And there is a strategic element other than just dogfighting. Getting chased down by a Dr1 when your in a Fokker D7 would be enough to make me ponder if my 15 bucks is well spent.

Dogfighting is strategy played out in split-seconds. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
Well the more options the better right?

No doubt some WW-1 fighting will improve your WW-ll fighting as well.

The more airplanes the better. No matter what war they are in. :aok
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
Well the more options the better right?

More options in WWII era yes.

No doubt some WW-1 fighting will improve your WW-ll fighting as well.

There is no improving my poor cartoon peelot skills. I depend souly on luck.

The more airplanes the better. No matter what war they are in. :aok

WWII era yes. Fill in the planes and fix the outdated ones.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SB

• Administrator
      • http://home.swbell.net/hmason
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »

I vote;  NO!

Helm ...out

Vote? No one gets a stinking vote! Well one guy does  :confused:

SB

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
Im so excited!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :O :O :O :O :O :O I can't believe it!!! awesome! WOOOOOOOOOO HTC rocks! :rock

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2009, 10:26:38 PM »
Hmm the pictures of the Fokker remind me more of leasurely flying rather than WW1 killing machines. Will they be in the MA? they would be tasty pickings :D

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
Oh and did you guys see this is what it says on the front page. "They will be the first planes to use a new damage system with greatly expanded capability".

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
From what i understand it is a dogfight only arena. Hopefully it does not pull too much resources. I'm concerned about the era I'm interested in and what brought me to AH in the first place..... WWII.

For once we agree Shuff.  I too, am eying this with a sense of questionable intent.  There are things that could and should be fixed with the main product prior to investing in a pet project like this.  I think you put it as being akin to "a leak in the ship".  

But, it is likely to play out quickly.  After all, those that wish to furball only can go to the DA now.... and the most I've seen in there is around 45 or 50 lately.  That's compared to the roughly 500 or so (combined) in both MA's on a given night....... the WW1 arena may bring old folks back, or bring in some new blood, but it will ultimately be a flash in the pan.  

Worse case scenario for it is that the WW1 arena is moderately successful, and fractures the current community to the point that you can't find more than 150 on in any arena at any time.  People start logging on and not finding any fights anywhere with any consistency.... they log off and do something else.  Over-diversifying one's product has killed more than one company.

But, like the Brewster and the I-16... I'm happy for whoever wants this.  IMO flying at 100 mph and pulling the stick as hard as possible in every direction, ad infinitum until death, is boring, which is exactly what this will be.  To each his own.  I prefer the dissimilar A/C fighting of WW2, where it's more of a head game.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:00:24 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:26 AM »
Both MA's?  Hmm i thought there were 4 main arenas, must have been wrong.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
HTC ran survey's asked the community and then made a decision, many of us have been wanting this for along time.
Comparing this to AW is just silly on the face of it, I flew DoA when Dale and Pyro ran it and it was great.  I see this being a GREAT alternative to 262's and 163's and I think it will pull in alot of guys who cannot find a good online WWI game.

Any of you who know Hitech and Pyro know that they usually think things out pretty well before they go into it, I am not saying they are always right but I do think all this pre guessing the results are just plain sour grapes.

Like many of you I have been flying these things since the Sierra Network days and Red Baron, I was in the original "Pig Stompers" as BigJim the same handle I use here in game, I flew AW at 6 bucks an hour on Genie, Warbirds (Confirmed Kill was the first name), AH and AH II so I have been around awhile and I can tell you that flying my DVa in DoA was one of the best times I have ever had in a Flight game.

I have seen what this team can do if they want to so don't be so sure to relegate this one to the dust bin, I got a feeling it will work in spades and won't hurt the WWII flying anymore than any "other" arena has.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »

Worse case scenario for it is that the WW1 arena is moderately successful, and fractures the current community to the point that you can't find more than 150 on in any arena at any time.  People start logging on and not finding any fights anywhere with any consistency.... they log off and do something else.  Over-diversifying one's product has killed more than one company.

You are spoiled  :P
Most of my online time in AH there is already no arena with more than 150 available - because it's early morning "over there" or, at my prime time, arena cap kicks in. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:37 AM »
Fantastic - now Wooley finally gets to play at being Major Wooley (I hate that "bast***").

Read 'Goshawk Squadron' by Derek Robinson - one of the finest novels about military aviation I've ever read - and tell me you're not clamoring for a WW1 arena.

See you up there camel-dweebs.