Author Topic: WW1 arena  (Read 8465 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: WW1 arena
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
I'm neither for nor against the WWI arena- I'll have a lot of fun in there with wood and canvas puddle jumpers, but I'd rather have any resources spent on that be spent on the core WWII game (personally)- however I'm wondering where all of these numbers are coming from. I keep seeing that 75%+ of people supported WWI planes, however everywhere I look I see a much closer to 50-50 split.

Did HTC release the results of the poll they did some months ago or something? Or is this simply a case of '89% of statistics are made up on the spot'?

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »
I fully support the WWI arena.  I also strongly advocate for having just two sides (pawns & queens maybe  :t ).

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Fortunately, if the survey indicates anything, the nabobs of negativity are outnumbered 3-1.

Though the "I wanna have it" number may (and most probably will) be much higher than the number of players actually using the arena for more than a few weeks ;)

(See the large number of players voting for the P-39.. and after a few days it wasn't even really used in EW anymore)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
Though the "I wanna have it" number may (and most probably will) be much higher than the number of players actually using the arena for more than a few weeks ;)

(See the large number of players voting for the P-39.. and after a few days it wasn't even really used in EW anymore)

Using the arena will be directly proportionate to the attention given it, if it stays at just 4 fighters and no bombers or strat then probably will decline a bit after the first blush, OTH if it gets half the attention WWII gets and few new rides are offered from time to time, some reasonable strat is added, some bombers, etc I can see it growing by leaps and bounds.  I see guys like Mano returning and many more like him, alot of the new guys don't know that many of the old time squads in here came from WWI sims, AK's, WW's, Pig Stompers all come to mind  ;)
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »
Of course it won, it was American.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »
Of course it won, it was American.

If there is no other motivation to win the next world war knowing your country will get a few more cartoon airplanes 60 years later should be.  :aok
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
If there is no other motivation to win the next world war knowing your country will get a few more cartoon airplanes 60 years later should be.  :aok
The Russians and British didn't win?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2009, 10:59:47 PM »
I'll resubscribe in a heartbeat. Good job, HT.

Macchi

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
I don't really see what the hubbub is about. HTC, basically, announced all of this a year ago, with the caveat that much of the "work" was already in the can.

As for what the current game is about...originally, it was about air combat. These days, the game is more about "capture the flag" w/ airplanes (and for me, it doesn't really do that very well). If WW1 can provide a place for folks that are here for skilled competition (and unskilled targets :))....then  :rock more is the better.  :D

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
Its all about the experiences. The sights and sounds will be new. The flying will probably be VERY new compared to WWII monoplanes that were light years more advanced, even in 1940. The combat will be VERY close. If the gunnery is modeled accurately, 50 yards will be the standard killing distance...the extent to which the opponent is filling your forward view, paint details, flying wires, goggle, scarf and all, will make it different.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
Fortunately, if the survey indicates anything, the nabobs of negativity are outnumbered 3-1.

Results of what survey? The questionaire HTC held via the game a while ago or are you talking about opinions on this and other threads? If HTC published the results of their survey, then I've definately missed that. Personally, I voted "nay" because I wanted to see more rounded out WWII planeset so I guess that makes me "a nanob of negativity" what ever that means. I just find it comical that you BnZs and the likes of you feel the need to run around this BBS calling people names because they don't happen to share your preferences/opinions.

...And before the other thought polices pile in on me, I'm very very happy that we are getting a new damage model. It has for years been my biggest "complaint" in the features of the game, a small "complaint" at that as the current one has still served its purpose, it just has been quite dated for quite a while now. And I'm sure I'm going to have helluva lot of fun in the WWI-arena. I'm an aviation fan in general, all eras all planes. :)

I just think that with AHII HTC is roughly 20 WWII planes away from having all important aircraft for pretty much all conflicts that are playable as special events. And this is happening "for the first time in the history of mankind" so to speak. :) I really don't count WarBirds to this as it was IMO pretty much ruined after HT and Pyro left. Because of the way Imagic handled things, the realization of this "dream" of having all the important WWII a/c in one MMOG WWII-sim took a big hit as HT had to start from scratch (a lot of good came from it too, of course). Now with AHII we are closer to this than ever before. That's why I would have liked them to focus on making those last 20 "special event WWII a/c" before doing the WWI-era. It's about development decisions, HTC made theirs and I very much respect that.

All in all, I'm very happy with AH, I have my Brewster and soon there's a new damage model and some kites to play with. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
After 75% of the community voiced their opinions that they wanted WWI, the rest of the community is now coming out and saying they don't want it, just like the ENY...gotta love it. :rolleyes:

Problem is: we have still a lot of WW2 a/c with ugly 1990 's graphics and you open a WW1 arena?
Great news but .... WORK ON WW2 a/c AS WELL!  :mad:
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2009, 02:16:11 AM »
The Russians and British didn't win?

As an aide once told Patton during a speach in England " the French don't forget the French"
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:50 AM »

The P-39 is used frequently in special events.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2009, 03:25:18 AM »
The P-39 is used frequently in special events.

I know, but I'm talking about the place where players fly 90% of the time and actually do take choices ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman