Author Topic: WWI beta server?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: WWI beta server?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Kicked my butt huh??  You were obviously standing in a long line of folks.:)

I hear early war you have to take a partner. The 6 folks in there already will be on the same team. If you get on an opposing team they will all go to other front to capture. That is where the partner comes in. He is on the third team to intercept those folks. Kind of like chasing flies.

I was thinking that this smiley was developed to represent the EW ...  :joystick:

WWI... or the EEW as it might be called, will probably level off around EW numbers. Just my estimation. Would be fine with me as I see it as a leech on productuion time for WWII work. Will be fun for a short while.

All ribbtickling aside I see where you are coming from with the EW but EW is a faction of the ww2 planeset ww1 is a completely different thing
it will be quite fun!! I was always more a H2H man myself 8v8 in a small arena so hopefully given the planes slow speeds the arena is quite small (the distance to fly to find nothing in a slow plane might also be a big factor in EWs numbers imo)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »
Wasn't there talk about player made arenas?  I'd say the EW arena suffers from poor gameplay design than the others thus never develops the critical mass to be viable.  It would be interesting to see what could happen if they loosen the design restrictions there as it's currently borked.  With nothing to loose why not let someone breath some life into it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
All ribbtickling aside I see where you are coming from with the EW but EW is a faction of the ww2 planeset ww1 is a completely different thing
it will be quite fun!! I was always more a H2H man myself 8v8 in a small arena so hopefully given the planes slow speeds the arena is quite small (the distance to fly to find nothing in a slow plane might also be a big factor in EWs numbers imo)

When EW started out it was pretty busy.

I see this new WWI arena doing pretty much the same. Will be slower planes meandering about.... of course there will be no strat, gv, or bombers there.

I'd think different if EW was busy.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »
<snip>I was always more a H2H man myself 8v8 in a small arena so hopefully given the planes slow speeds the arena is quite small (the distance to fly to find nothing in a slow plane might also be a big factor in EWs numbers imo)

Yeah baby yeah!

The best h2h-rooms were offering a good action instantly.

The Ike's h2h-BoB scenario with old-times CT arena settings, was the best action ever.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
EW fails from other reason then the plane sets.

I like MW have gotten some good fights in there, but because of the way it works you cant just go there for dogfights. Most of the guys i see in there are taking bases and arnt interested in the dogfight.

I will spend a lot of time in a WW1 arena. If it is a dogfighting arena it will be great fun. :x :neener:

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
EW has fewer folks because it is just not popular. Many folks do not want to turn fight. They dislike slow planes. Now we'll have an EEW arena too. It'll be a dogfight only arena and will have 100 mph terrors.

For those that wish to cover all flight history... I hear they are working on gliders and ballons.

In any conceivable plane set, there are angles fighters and E fighters. Relatively fast and relatively slow planes. In WWI it will be the same. 125mph planes fighting 100mph planes, it will be the same as 380mph planes fighting 320mph ones.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
I see this new WWI arena doing pretty much the same. Will be slower planes meandering about.... of course there will be no strat, gv, or bombers there.
The WWI plane set will be very cool.  The flight characteristics should vary more across the set.

Your point on no strats or gvs might be a problem.  The anti-tool shedding argument aside, will there be anything to attack or defend?  The history of aerial combat is an extension of the larger battles.  Observation for artillery was the first use.  Denial of observation was the impetus for fighter development.  I can't see flying an observation plane as fun in game terms.  The lack of a strategic aspect may weaken the appeal of the WWI arena.  
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Ok letting imagination run for a spell here, bear with me. AI obs planes, maybe serve as "radar". There's possibilities galore of what it could become. A frball arena would be cool at first but I see it eventually evolving into more, albeit differnt from the land grabbin we get in the WW2 arenas. Zeppelins, maybe some kind of arty. GVs are all but out (horses?lol). I don't know, I'm intersted, I see the potential, I don't see any thing in common with EW. Time will tell. Ill be ther day one
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)