Author Topic: Uh... odd question, but...  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Uh... odd question, but...
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »
... what is with Gillette Fusion razors? I've used a normal fusion for a while ever since Gillette sent me one for free on my birthday (Sadly, I got a B-day present from a company but not from my parents that year, lol), but to be honest, I only shaved once a week, and have had the same head for almost a year. Well, suffice to say some things have changed in my life and I have started shaving more regularly, thus requiring me to buy a few more heads. Went to the store today, and a 4-pack of Gillette Fusion heads is $20! A brand new Gillette Fusion powered razor with one head, and a can of Hydro-gel and batter is $10! A new powered razor and shaving gel is cheaper than a couple replacement heads?!? Is this a normal thing? Being a bit cheap, I just bought the new razor instead of the 4 heads. Which brings me to question two. What is so special about the powered razor? It seems to have the same effect to me.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Uh... odd question, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
First off, you've just been introduced to the concept of the loss leader and the product lock.  I think it may have been the original Mr. Gillette who thought of the idea of selling the razor handle and a blade or two at a loss, then selling new blades that only fit into the original handle at a massive markup.  Realize that razor blades are just sharpened steel and cost a couple of cents to make and distribute in huge amounts, so even at a buck each the profit margin is huge.  So if the handle costs $20 to make but they sell them to you for $10, they have to make up $10 in blade sales.  Guess what - those blades, even the quadruple ones with springs and all that other vibration junk, probably cost a nickel or a dime to make.  But they charge $20, because the blades only fit onto that handle and nobody else is allowed to make replacement blades due to the design patent.  If the patent expires, they quit making the handles since nobody else is going to risk making handles at a loss, and market a new razor handle with a new blade design.

It's a business model that has made a lot of money for decades.  There are four ways out of the cycle...  First, you can just buy cheapo handles and blades that have been on the market for many years, since the prices have dropped to a more reasonable level.  Second, you can buy only bulk pack disposable razors like the pink single or double blade ones hotels will give to women who forget their blades and need to shave their legs once during a trip.  Third, you can spend some money on a high quality straight razor, learn how to use it, and keep it sharp yourself.  Fourth, you can buy a nice electric razor which, if you get a good one like a braun, can last you many years and only need a new foil and cutting blade every year or two depending on how tough your beard is and how clean you keep the razor.

I went with option 4 because my skin bubbles a bit when it gets wet so using a regular razor makes me look like I rubbed my face in glass.  I buy only Braun razors, and they typically last me at least 4 years.  I usually buy a replacement foil and cutter (about $20) every 2 years unless I drop the thing and damage the foil, but I'd probably get a better shave if I replaced it every year or more.  I buy the cheaper braun razors with the single larger-radius cutter instead of the multiple smaller radius cutters, because they seem to work better on my face.

There are Braun razors that cost well over $100 (my first braun cost $130 and was a christmas present) but it lasted 6 years and was so awesome, it sold me on the brand for good.  I have not been disappointed with braun razors since I started using them 19 years ago.  Remmington foil electrics don't have the same quality, and the rotary electrics aren't sharp enough and start pulling hairs out by the roots after a week or two of use.  The brauns just keep working as long as you're not abusive and use the little cleaning brush at least weekly to keep them clean.  The cheapo one I use now is I think their model "105" if I recall correctly (or something like that), and it costs about $40-$50.  That's cheap enough that instead of keeping regular blades as a backup, I bought a spare electric in case my electric dies right before I have to go to work.

As for the vibrating ones, they help on the principle that a lot of tiny cuts are more effective than making one big cut all at once.  Supposedly it means that as you draw the blade across your face, the vibration is like the razor making hundreds of little tiny cuts as you make the one pass across your face.  It sounds like it ought to help especially for people with tough beards or sensitive skin, but I've never tried them.

And BTW your school's economics teacher must suck if you hadn't heard about the razor blade marketing model.  It should be taught in the very first high school class where basic economic principles are introduced.  It is very odd that you've gotten as far as you have in school without being taught that...  Damn commie teachers must be afraid that if kids learn about gillette and razor blades, they'll turn in to evil capitalists  :mad:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:45:21 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
... what is with Gillette Fusion razors? I've used a normal fusion for a while ever since Gillette sent me one for free on my birthday (Sadly, I got a B-day present from a company but not from my parents that year, lol), but to be honest, I only shaved once a week, and have had the same head for almost a year. Well, suffice to say some things have changed in my life and I have started shaving more regularly, thus requiring me to buy a few more heads. Went to the store today, and a 4-pack of Gillette Fusion heads is $20! A brand new Gillette Fusion powered razor with one head, and a can of Hydro-gel and batter is $10! A new powered razor and shaving gel is cheaper than a couple replacement heads?!? Is this a normal thing? Being a bit cheap, I just bought the new razor instead of the 4 heads. Which brings me to question two. What is so special about the powered razor? It seems to have the same effect to me.

i like the mach 3. those blades are something like $18.00 for 4  of them.

yet, i can buy a new mach 3 handle, with 3 blades for about $9.00. so when i need new blades, i just buy a whole new razor.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:50 PM »
Speaking for me, personally, I have a heavy beard and have to shave every day.  In my experience, the vibrating doesn't make any difference at all to the actual shaving of my face.  Where it makes the difference is in washing the razor out in between passes.  The spaces in between the blades gets clogged fast, when I stick the head under the running water, all that gunk comes out faster and more completely and easily, so the next pass is a clean one.  

On the prices, the razor blade companies have for a long long time used a business model that has also recently been adopted by the printer companies.  They let the actual razor itself go for as cheap as possible, since you only have to buy it once or twice, but the razors themselves, which you have to buy much more frequently, they charge quite a bit.  They make a monstorous profit on the blades, and much more often.  
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »
And BTW your school's economics teacher must suck if you hadn't heard about the razor blade marketing model.  It should be taught in the very first high school class where basic economic principles are introduced.  It is very odd that you've gotten as far as you have in school without being taught that...  Damn commie teachers must be afraid that if kids learn about gillette and razor blades, they'll turn in to evil capitalists  :mad:

ROFL!!!  :rofl

Economics class?!? At MY school?!? I dont think the administration has ever HEARD of such a class!

You make a real good point about the Braun. I usually splurge on things I use that frequently anyway... My only hesitation is durability. I've never bought a pure electric yet simply because I have found myself having to shave in many... weird situations (Driving, on a Bivouac, etc...) and I don't wanna destroy such an expensive object. Does that $150 model hold up decently to adverse environments?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
ROFL!!!  :rofl

Economics class?!? At MY school?!? I dont think the administration has ever HEARD of such a class!

You make a real good point about the Braun. I usually splurge on things I use that frequently anyway... My only hesitation is durability. I've never bought a pure electric yet simply because I have found myself having to shave in many... weird situations (Driving, on a Bivouac, etc...) and I don't wanna destroy such an expensive object. Does that $150 model hold up decently to adverse environments?

i don't like the way electrics feel on my face...and they don't seem to get me as close or as fast as a hand razor.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »
i don't like the way electrics feel on my face...and they don't seem to get me as close or as fast as a hand razor.
I was thinking the same thing, I dont have a real heavy beard but electrics leave me feeling like I still need to shave. Over the past few years I've stopped worrying too much about shaving and just hit it with the clippers at the same time I do my head (once a month) then clean up with a disposable ($2.99 for 10) so I have a years supply almost for bugger all.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:47 PM »
I use the Fusion and follow it up with a Norelco.   I shave once a week.   After using "Gels", cream, etc.   I now use $4.00 Neutrogena Shaving Cream from Target.   Best stuff out there, even for heavy beards, as I can have one inside of two months.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:34 PM »
I've had my best luck just using the shampoo foam that you get when you lather up your hair.  I usually wash my hair first then let the foamy shampoo soak the whiskers a bit then I use a Mach3 blade to shave with.  Seems to work better than any shaving cream I use.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
I got off the Fusion-MachII-multiblade merry-go-round a year or so and went to the old-fashioned double-edged safety razor and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  I always had the feeling like I was being taken advantage of.    They'd bring out a new version and all of a sudden I'm paying $17 dollars for 4 friggin' blades.  Now I get a better shave at a much better price.  It does take a little bit longer - not much - but it's also more of a ritual to be enjoyed.

I got a nice Merkur shaver for $50 and a quality brush for $30.  You can do much better though.  Razor blades cost about $6 for a pack of 10.  You can get more expensive razor blades for $12 that last about twice as long.  Shaving soap costs about $3 and lasts a looong time.  Months and months.  You can also buy fancy pre-shave oils and shaving powders and creams.  Nice to have but shaving soap works just fine.

Another benefit is that now I get to use the aftershave lotion I've been accumulating at Christmas and what not. Finally breaking into the strategic reserve of aftershave I've been building up all my life. 

I find the whole safety razor experience quite enjoyable, totally unlike being taken for a ride every few years when Gillette unveils their newest money making bs.  Maybe it's the cool retro aspect, the idea of shaving like they did in the 50s and 60s.  Though there's also a sense of satisfaction that comes with using the right tool for the job. 

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »
I had a safety razor years ago and after reading your post I think I'll get another one and start shaving more regularly, I get what you mean about the ritual.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
I use Mach 3 razors and I bought that little device that whisks the water off of them after each use and the blades can last up to a year. On special occasions I let the wife shave me with a straight razor (she loves it) and I have an electric (Norelco) for road trips.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:54 AM »
Did you like that?  Want that same feeling again?  Go buy an ink-jet printer, then in a few weeks, go buy replacement ink.  :eek:

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »
i have to shave every 2 days and I hate shaving with a passion. ><

went from the regular 2 blade with swivel head to the 3 blade to the 4 blade to the 5 blade (in sequence once the handle with 2 replacement heads that came with it wore out) as I tried them out.

I noticed the 3 4 and 5 blades didnt do as good of a job as the 2 blade. the more blades the faster the shave went (no need to wash the head so many times) but the shave wasnt close and it left a stubble. the 2 blade took a lil longer but did it cleanly.

then I tried the electric blades (vibrating ones) and once again, the more blades the worse it got. However I will say the 3 blades vibrating one (never found a 2 blade) did do a damn good job, even better than the manual 2 blade.

I noticed that with the vibrating one, you cant shave as fast it has to be half-speed and let the vibrating blade do its thing. With it ive had the best shaves ever no stubble no nothing.

Then at the behest of a few old timers and a couple of younger coworkers who swore by it, I tried the single blade.. switchblade barber thing (heck if i know its name).

911 - idiot almost kills self.

(well not really but holy crap i did cut meself and freaked out). After a week of trying with it.. very carefully and terrified of the thing... got the handle of it. Shave is nice, not so fast.. foam works best than gels.

but overall i went back to the 3 blade vibrating one.. wont kill myself and the shave is just as good as the suicide blade.

Ive tried the electric razors but it never works for me.. always stub left & the shape of my jaw dont help those bulky things either.

back on topic though... yeah, welcome to the past 50 years. only way to save money is to get the electric shaver or a monoblade otherwise youll have to keep on buying the friggin' blades for retarded prices or lose money on buying the new head plus 2 heads.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:57:42 AM by Tac »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 06:41:25 AM »
Ive got a braun electric shaver and it does a pretty good job for me
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women