Author Topic: EW/MW/LW  (Read 2765 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: EW/MW/LW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
Personally, I think the current arena set-up blows and is unsuccessful.

IMO, a better idea would be to have arenas separated by type of game play or theater.

ie: a pacific arena, a western front arena, and an eastern front arena.

Give players distinct choices, instead of MA, MA light, and MA ultralight.
Now there's an idea.

Of course there would end up being a massive discussion as to why the Spixteen, Typhoon and Ma Jug aren't in the Eastern Front or Pacific arenas...because someone found a small insignificant and erroneous report of them being spotted in one of those AO's...then someone in some backend corner of a map would do something viewed as "gamey" and yet another whine about how "we don't go there because of the way some people do blah blah blah"...of course it's all b.s. excuses and they just want their Spixteens and Jugs.

BaldEagl has a good idea...but of course the nay sayers have missed the point of "you have 2 arenas now with limited plane sets, why have 2 other arenas with unlimited plane sets?"...the MW is the only one where there is some semblance of actual balance between plane sets but since the top of the line late war U.S. and Brit planes don't exist there...it's just easier to say "lame idea" than to look at the reality.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
As I see it, the problem with EW, and to a lesser extent MW, is that there's nothing unique about them.  Everything that can be found in EW and MW is also available in LW and that's why everyone gravitates there.

It's really no surprise that EW is a ghost town given that it has the smallest plane/GV set.  As those sets expand in MW so does the player base and, as it expands further in LW the player base expands exponentially.

The only way the EW and MW arenas will gain more poulation is if they each offer something unique.  WWI will likely gain a small but dedicated following as what's available there will only be available there.

The AvA does offer something unique in it's plane sets, maps and structure but I think the changing periods, plane sets, etc. confuse and put off much of the player base as you don't really know what you're going to find when you log in.

I like the idea of theater specific arenas (east front, west front and Pacific) but actually think this idea should be applied via the AvA concept with set maps (maybe seasonally adjusted) and plane-sets so you always know what you're going to find.  If these began to gain a following they might be further defined into time periods.

That still leaves us with a dead EW and a moderately thriving MW.  If people are dead set against limiting plane/GV sets, then maps and/or gameplay are the only options for differentiation.  I don't think maps alone would do it, therefore a fundamentally revised type of gameplay would be the only remaining opportunity to differentiate these arenas.

I think that 50-100 people each in smaller communities (arenas) would be healthier for the game than packing 800 onto a big map (or worse yet a small map) and watching the hoards roll.  People might actually get to know each other again.  Squads might roam from arena to arena.  I'm not saying get rid of Titanic Tuesday... I'd like to see it kept as a unique event.

I'd really like to hear ideas on what could be done.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
Here's one BaldEagl...that will never happen...get rid of the "we don't go there because of..." attitudes.

There is a lot of blaming others for someones lack of enjoyment in this hobby...can't understand that. And yet if you were to dig down deep to the root of the issue, it's a simple matter of either "I can't fly my favorite plane there" or "I'm just bored and don't want to admit it".

I'm surprised that there aren't more people in either MW or EW considering all of the posts about "the thrill of the fight"...looking at the plane sets, those 2 arenas are highly suited to dogfighting more than horde base taking...especially the EW...but then the Spixteen and M jug aren't there.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
Think the thrill is more about being able to fight against the LW birds not neccessarily in the LW birds
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hoghead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
Warbirds used to do a thing where planes were introduced as the "war" progressed.  You started out with the Spit1s and the 109es then a few days later the Spit5 and FW190s would show up etc.  What about a war period of say three weeks where the first week only the EW arena is available and the second week the MW and the third the LW.  I know that no solution will make everyone happy but it's a suggestion.

Scott "Hoghead" Dean
Never run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »
ahhh the 'ol infamous rolling planeset, it's been discussed before and if I remember correctly the general consensus was it caused more problems than it "fixed".
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »

Remember doin it in AvA arena a few years back, was cool but not for everybody
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
so far the best idea sounds like the pacific and the european arenas.

the only problem, is that that didn't appear to be too successful in aw.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »
Good point.

You may be right as I never played AW.

On the other hand, we know for certain what we have now isn't working so well

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Removing the EW or MW plane set from the LW arenas is not going to increase the numbers for the EW or MW arenas.  If you want to increase those arenas, planes for the EW and MW eras would need be to added to fill in the gaps in the planesets for those times.  Also, maps tailored to the smaller arenas will also help.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
Bald I like what you are going for, but I'm gonna have to say a big old -1 here.

There are few things I enjoy in this game more than buzz sawing a spixteen or LA wing off in my Hurri MkI.  Not just that, but I find myself in mid-war planes (occasionally an early bird too :) ) far too often to advocate this.  I really enjoy the challenge of taking on more advanced birds with earlier ones, and to be quite honest I'd rather not have that option taken away in an effort to fill servers. 

As for solutions to getting more folks in EW or MW -- I'd say running only on the smallest maps in both.  This could encourage fights, which are what most people seek.  You don't need 100 people in EW.  You just need 50 in a small space :)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
Good point.

You may be right as I never played AW.

On the other hand, we know for certain what we have now isn't working so well

i think it is working quite well really.

we(those of us posting here) are the minority. we are the vocal minority. i think that if all that played the game posted here, it could well overwhelm the bbs servers.

it seems to me quite a few people like things as they are.

if i'm in mw, and don't like the map, or the kinds of fights, i have 2 choices in lw, or i can go to ew.....or i can go to da, or go screw off in ta.............customer in....to be continued....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
Maps customized for each would help alleviate the travel time issue.  Say, bases in LW average 25 miles apart, bases in MW average 20 miles apart and bases in EW average 15 miles apart.  That might help solve the lack of action that a lot of people feel is inherent to those arenas, no matter the populations.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
Maybe combine the EW and MW into one arena.  Then it will be WWI, 1939-1942 and 1943-1945 arenas
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »
Maps customized for each would help alleviate the travel time issue.  Say, bases in LW average 25 miles apart, bases in MW average 20 miles apart and bases in EW average 15 miles apart.  That might help solve the lack of action that a lot of people feel is inherent to those arenas, no matter the populations.

+1 to this for sure.  Kind of along the same lines of what I was asking.