Author Topic: EW/MW/LW  (Read 2764 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
EW/MW/LW
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
I was just reading one of the threads on WWI which devolved into a discussion of the EW arena which got me to thinking.

As much as I sometimes love taking an EW ride up in LW I was wondering how many of the EW plane models were actually still in service during the LW period.  That lead me to take a quick glance at Wikipedia.  The Hurri Mk II wasn't introduced until 1940 and in limited numbers with the IIC entering service in 1941.  That still doesn't tell me how long the Mk I was in service.  I also don't remember specifically what periods the arenas are supposed to cover.

The A6M2 was introduced in 1940 with the A6M5 being introduced to combat the F6F-5.  Again, I couldn't find actual service dates but admittedly I didn't look too hard.

The reason I was looking at this was that just maybe the plane sets should be seperate with a transition in the MW arena (i.e. EW planes in EW and MW, MW planes in MW and LW and LW planes in LW only).

Maybe it still wouldn't be historically correct (i.e. everything against everything) but might be slightly closer to reality to do it this way.  Again, I don't know the service histories so I could be entirely wrong.

I know that if the EW planes at least were not available in the LW arena I'd take the time to fly a few flights in EW or MW, neither of which I have visited since the scoring split.  I have to admit I sometimes miss the EW vs EW plane match-ups.

Anyway, I know many will oppose this (I've been one of those in the past) but it's just a thought and I thought I'd post it for discussion.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: EW/MW/LW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
I know that if the EW planes at least were not available in the LW arena I'd take the time to fly a few flights in EW or MW, neither of which I have visited since the scoring split. 

I couldn't disagree with your idea more.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:21:05 AM »
I like your idea.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:50:59 AM »
Can't say I like it, I'm having a great time taking EW rides like the P-39D and P-38G up in the LW and seeing how I fair.

Which for the record is poorly. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:53:54 AM »
Interesting idea, but I'd have to say no. I honestly don't think EW's lack of population has too much to do with EW birds being available in MW and LW.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 07:34:06 AM »
Anyway, I know many will oppose this (I've been one of those in the past) but it's just a thought and I thought I'd post it for discussion.

I think it's an excellent idea; it was the way things started out, and I've always thought that allowing all planes in the LW arenas was a mistake that killed the earlier periods.

The biggest reason I can see for not changing it back now, though, is the complication with that side-balancing formula that the late-war people are always complaining about.

- oldman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »

The A6M2 was introduced in 1940 with the A6M5 being introduced to combat the F6F-5.  Again, I couldn't find actual service dates but admittedly I didn't look too hard.

The reason I was looking at this was that just maybe the plane sets should be seperate with a transition in the MW arena (i.e. EW planes in EW and MW, MW planes in MW and LW and LW planes in LW only).

Maybe it still wouldn't be historically correct (i.e. everything against everything) but might be slightly closer to reality to do it this way.  Again, I don't know the service histories so I could be entirely wrong.

I know that if the EW planes at least were not available in the LW arena I'd take the time to fly a few flights in EW or MW, neither of which I have visited since the scoring split.  I have to admit I sometimes miss the EW vs EW plane match-ups.

your posts usually make much more sense sir.

there's nothing stopping you right now, from going to ew to take a ride.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:02:41 AM »
The biggest reason I can see for not changing it back now, though, is the complication with that side-balancing formula that the late-war people are always complaining about.

- oldman

Sarcasm?  If so, nice one. :cool:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »
I like to fly the P-39 and while it's tough in the LW, there is never enought folks in the EW to get me into that arena. So I'd end up having to fly a different plane. So while the idea is interesting, I think I'd vote no.

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
I kinda like that idea but,I just have a feeling that we won't get it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
I understand your idea, but I disagree wholeheartedly.  The EW and to a lesser extent the MW need to survive on their own.  No need to cramp the "fun zone" (LW) to prop up the least populated arenas.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
-1 I don't think EW plane availability is the problem.

Nice that your looking for fixes though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »
Personally, I think the current arena set-up blows and is unsuccessful.

IMO, a better idea would be to have arenas separated by type of game play or theater.

ie: a pacific arena, a western front arena, and an eastern front arena.

Give players distinct choices, instead of MA, MA light, and MA ultralight.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »
Personally, I think the current arena set-up blows and is unsuccessful.

IMO, a better idea would be to have arenas separated by type of game play or theater.

ie: a pacific arena, a western front arena, and an eastern front arena.

Give players distinct choices, instead of MA, MA light, and MA ultralight.

This idea has merit. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »
hMMMM :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)