Author Topic: Possibe discovery of final resting place of Earhart and Noonan  (Read 312 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Possibe discovery of final resting place of Earhart and Noonan
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
Cool story they have posted here. I wonder if they might be able to search the area around the atoll for possible wreckage of the aircraft that might have been swept off into the waters around there. If so and they find it then matching the serial numbers on parts (if able to) they should be able to positively identify but who knows if that will happen or not.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/10/23/amelia-earhart.html
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Possibe discovery of final resting place of Earhart and Noonan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
I remember seeing on the today show about 10 years ago about them finding a women's shoe on one of those remote islands.  I briefly remember the interview, but I'm pretty sure it was Richard Gillespie.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
I remember seeing on the today show about 10 years ago about them finding a women's shoe on one of those remote islands.  I briefly remember the interview, but I'm pretty sure it was Richard Gillespie.

Yeah, it was him.  Circumstantial evidence is looking good in his favor.  He needs to find the plane or some thing that he can trace back to the plane or somehow find the bones that were found in '39 and re-examine them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:59:16 AM »
There are a lot of things that bother me about this story and for which I must say the likelihood is very very small that the island ever saw Amelia. For one thing its unlikely that an island would have even been found outside of the one they were shooting for. The Pacific Ocean is not an easy place to find land just when you need it and this island they claim as the 'forced landing' site is not anywhere near the course they had selected. Castaways are called that because problem sailors are put ashore (sometimes left adrift off shore) rather than keep them aboard (Alexander Selkirk being the most famous castaway and inspiring the 'Robinson Crusoe' book). You could probably find skeletons on a lot of islands left from such castaways but the giant crab idea is a fanciful reason for the bones to have been carried off. Those crabs (about 16 inches) usually go for shiny objects and I dont see them pulling off bones instead (although they certainly would have devoured any flesh they came upon). Litter on the other hand can be carried by the seas half way around the world (California rubbage has floated all the way to Manila before) and debris would probably do the same. Somehow I doubt Amelia was wearing anything likely to be easily recognized as a womans shoe except by its size which is not a good indication of gender.

Everytime a new movie comes out there is a return of the same speculation and no one has ever found hard evidence of where she ended up.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.