Author Topic: Real WWII guys who play  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Real WWII guys who play
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
Apparently one of my squaddies has 10+ kills in Navy fighters in WWII and flew hiw first combat during Midway.

Anyone know of any other WWII vets in our skies?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Real WWII guys who play
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
Is he the one who won't give his real name?  Or someone else?

Make me look like the horses a...  we all know I am and give us some background.

I've seen too many "My dad owns a B-17" or "I received the Medal of Honor"'s to believe anything anyone says on the intardnet at first glance.

So, while you're flaming me, also offer some proof other than them saying "I was...." because I am truly interested and would be proud to actually know that they are who they claim to be.

You may commence firing.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
Battle of Midway was in 1942. How old were the youngest fighter pilots back then? 18?  Would make that guy at least  around 85 now... quite a very old age for someone playing a video game.

Is it Mr. "Over"?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
Nope, although he does claim to be 94. I don't really wanna give his name, but his stories sound real.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
If he's a 10 kill ace, it should be easy enough to confirm it.  Too many guys have claimed stuff over the years not to be a bit skeptical.

Only WW2 fighter pilot I know of that flew AW and some AH was Earl Miller who flew 39s and 47s with the 345th FS, 350th FG in the MTO.  I got to visit his home a couple times as he wasn't far from me.  Many of the AW guys met him at the Indy AW Con as well.  As nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet.  Silver Star, DFC flying Ground attack North Africa and Italy.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:46 AM »
Nope, although he does claim to be 94. I don't really wanna give his name, but his stories sound real.
Too young to be Silat, although he did fight in Thermopylae

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »
I would be sad if it's untrue, and I really think there's a chance he's for real.

He knew an awful lot about Wildcats. Also cleaimed the Japanese did NOT sink any of our arriers at Midway.

We either scuttled or destroyed them with our own torps/cannons.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »
Battle of Midway was in 1942. How old were the youngest fighter pilots back then? 18?  Would make that guy at least  around 85 now... quite a very old age for someone playing a video game.

Is it Mr. "Over"?

That's who I really, really, really want to find out I'm wrong about.

Please, please, please, please??

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »
I would be sad if it's untrue, and I really think there's a chance he's for real.

He knew an awful lot about Wildcats. Also cleaimed the Japanese did NOT sink any of our arriers at Midway.

We either scuttled or destroyed them with our own torps/cannons.

That's strike one.

The only U.S. Carrier sunk at Midway did so after two attempts to salvage and tow her back to Pearl Harbor.  The second attempt coming after she was hit by two of four torpedoes fired by the Japanese submarine I-168.

Yorktown eventually turned over and sank.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »
Well, he's claiming the history books are wrong on that. And yes, he does say "Over" on VOX.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
Too young to be Silat, although he did fight in Thermopylae
That's were he got in the habit of wearing skirts :D

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 12:52:57 AM »
There are still three pilots from Midway still living that I know about but none of them flew fighters. One SBD one TBD and one Catalina pilot are still living for sure so its possible.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 12:53:04 AM »
  Ive never believed anyones "stories" since Ive been on these games back in the mid 90s. Maybe Ive missed something special..who knows..but I never let anyone blow smoke up my 6.

~AoM~

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
I'm just going to straight up ask him his name and gtry and get some confirmation.

My only concern is that if it's true, he may not want all the attention.

I asked a few of my squadmates if they believed it, and they never asked for confirmation, but stated his stories are consistant.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 01:35:36 AM »
I only know of two that had experience in WWII and later flew in AW or AH and one of them isn't around anymore.

The other is still around and is in JG11. He is an incredibly humble and respectful guy, so out of respect for his privacy I won't mention his name.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:05:27 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!