Author Topic: Fix Radar  (Read 881 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Fix Radar
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
Majors,

Your ideas are good. But for sake of gameplay in the world of AH2, its important to have some element of balance. Your suggestion would be great for Special Events, Scenarios, and FSO. Those are where the realism is greatly accounted for. Say something to Daddog, or another FSO commander. I hope this helps!  :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

if you could sneak in with an NOE raid and bust up a base.

I think you can do this just fine now.  By the time the base starts flashing, it's extremely difficult to bust up a well organized NOE raid.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
Isn't the purpose of an NOE raid total surprise?  How can you have that when the base starts flashing while you are still 10 miles out.

In WWII, the low level, surprise raid was the one that did the most damage.  In and out before they could respond.

It still is a surprise, which is very difficult to response to - 20 players coming in that way are almost impossible to stop from getting that base.

But you really have to take into account how gameplay is being changed if you replace almost with completely.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
Visual and aural detecting was very important and highly developed in WW2. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for a base to be warned at the 10 mile range (actually, I believe it's 12 miles). I could even argue for dar bar to extend to the ground anytime you're over enemy territory to simulate reporting by ground troops, friendly civilians, etc.

I will also offer the personal opinion that rarely is a very large defense mounted in the short time available, anyway. If you have 3 or 4 dedicated fighters in your attack, they can usually deal with anything that gets up before it disrupts your attack if your attack plan is well coordinated and executed.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
I would say that the current Dar system works for fine for our cartoon war.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
Hi Mates

Many thanks for the responses.

Isn't the purpose of an NOE raid total surprise?  How can you have that when the base starts flashing while you are still 10 miles out.

In WWII, the low level, surprise raid was the one that did the most damage.  In and out before they could respond.

The acks in AH seem, at times, to be radar controlled.  Never happened.

Also, if I didn't see any fishing boats on the way in, then the alarm shouldn't go off.

Whatever, I am not trying to start up any arguments with anyone.

Just think it would be very much more realistic if you could sneak in with an NOE raid and bust up a base.

See you all in the air (not on my 6 please)

Cheers

Majors
240 RAF
Oldest Yank in the RAF

How did that ploesti <SP> noe go?
See Rule #4

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »
One other thing to add to all the other responses...

Don't just fly straight from your base to the base you want to bomb.  Take the time to navigate a little and come from a direction they wouldn't expect.  Not saying you do, but too many people are too lazy or impatient, so just fly straight to a base.  Even if NOE, once the base starts flashing it's generally pretty easy to figure out where to look.

And yes, the base should still flash to alert people of the attack so they can up to try to intercept.  This is a multi-player game and everyone who signs up does so with the expectation of engaging in fights with other people.  The fact that some don't seem to want a fight is another matter - perhaps they should stick to offline missions.

This game is not a recreation of WWII, and should not (and seeming HTC agrees) take realism so far as to make it unappealing for the masses who pay money because they want to have fun fighting with WWII-era equipment.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
In the absence of radar, AVG Flying Tigers in China relied on a ring of observers to phone in when any inbound enemy aircraft was spotted. Worked well. And it's an interesting fact that enemy raids during the Battle of Britain usually required visual confirmation by the Observer Corps before the fighters were ordered to scramble; radar was good but not infallible. So, fair enough, keep the flashing base warning.

Good to see you're still in-'n'-kicking, Majors. I remember you were the man in the Ju52 we relied on to drop the drunks and capture the field back in the dark ol' dial-up days of WB. You were the Oldest Yank in the RAF then too.

:salute
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
Hi Mates

Ploesti?  Ahh yes, I remember reading about it in the paper way back then.  That was our first try.

Better to ask how the surprise raids on Japanese held islands went in the Pacific?  Low level surprise, with delayed fuses on the bombs!!!   Can you imagine the havoc an old geezer like me down low in my A20 could wreak???  How about 10 of us???

Yes, the old Ju-52 ace in WB.  Shot down three Me-262's in my old Iron Annie back then.  And, I believe I was the oldest Yank in the RAF back then as well.

Keep the blue side up mates.

Cheeries

Majors