Author Topic: Invisible Flaps  (Read 526 times)

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Invisible Flaps
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Every once in a while I get a flap shot off in when in lowered position. The only problem is the flap is clearly gone and listed as damaged, but the lift on the wing is the same as when the flap was shot off (in the same lowered position). The extra wing lift from the flap doesn't seem to change even when changing flaps to full up or down. This isn't a big deal, but figured it could be considered a bug.

I, however, have used this to my advantage, like continuing a turning dogfight and landing. The only disadvantage is in level flight, having one flap (the missing one) notched down obviously reduces the max speed of a plane. I have experienced this mostly on the P-51's. I don't remember the other planes, but I do remember it happening in non-P-51’s.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Re: Invisible Flaps
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »
I've had this happen in a 190. Don't have film though.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
That's how it happens, though the flap is rendered as 'shot off', it is actually modeled in the flight modeling as being jammed.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
Question is... is it a bug or a "feature"? IE, is it an intentional part of the flight model.?
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
IE, is it an intentional part of the flight model.?
Yup
You'll notice on the newer models (B25 onward) the flap remains graphically as well as in the flight model

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
VV. I don't get my flaps shot off very often... usually it's the whole wing :D. It's a graphical problem then... here's hoping for updated graphics  :cheers:
boomerlu
JG11