Author Topic: Storm of War Update  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Re: Storm of War Update
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »
Used to see the same detail in damage in "B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th"

While not as crisp as current graphics. Keep in mind this is from a game from 12 years ago And even these picture arent as clear a you would see in game

(Image removed from quote.)

One of the cool features of the game is as you moved through the plane. The crew acted as if you were really there and would move out of your way.
Was a really nice touch

Heres a Youtube video. If you dont want ot watch the entire thing I suggest fast forwarding to the 4:04 mark on (intense "flak so thick you could walk on it") and then paying particular attention at the 5:42 mark for some real nice damage effects  That we  still dont have even here yet  :headscratch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9uCmfsUyas

That damage model sucks.  CoD has actually hole for every bullet on most planes. 300+ damage parts per plane....

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
That damage model sucks.  CoD has actually hole for every bullet on most planes. 300+ damage parts per plane....

Fat lot of good it does when the game is buggy as hell and virtually unplayable.

The Cult of Maddox is why I stopped visiting the Il-2 forums. I hope it doesn't find its way here any more than it already has. :P
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »

my new desktop background
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
Fat lot of good it does when the game is buggy as hell and virtually unplayable.

The Cult of Maddox is why I stopped visiting the Il-2 forums. I hope it doesn't find its way here any more than it already has. :P

Suck it down!  :devil

I already said that Cod is a beta.  But same things are still highly impressive. One thing would be graphics, especially cockpits. Damage model is pretty nice too.  I don't have to be a fanboy to see what's good and bad.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2011, 02:14:20 AM »
Suck it down!  :devil

I already said that Cod is a beta.  

A game that has been in development for 5+ years shouldn't release and expect people to play for a "beta".  Again, that says a lot about the dev team and lack of supervision/control by the game designer and producer.  There is no excuse as to why a game in development that long shouldn't be released in a complete state.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2011, 07:27:07 AM »
A game that has been in development for 5+ years shouldn't release and expect people to play for a "beta".  Again, that says a lot about the dev team and lack of supervision/control by the game designer and producer.  There is no excuse as to why a game in development that long shouldn't be released in a complete state.

ack-ack

Furthermore, even though some features have yet to be added and a few minor fixes would be forthcoming until the final version, a Beta nonetheless implies stability and playability. A build with a massive playability-killing bug such as this should NEVER have seen a public release. You need to stop humping Maddox's leg, Russian, because right now you're paying for a barely-interactive SLIDE SHOW.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:50:48 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
Yeah and a lot of people are beginning to think that the so called "Epilepsy Filter" that was allegedly forced onto the development at the last minute was just a disguise for bugs and things that should have been fixed years ago in development.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of a game being made with an Epilepsy Filter in place.  Not even the Pokemon games come with one and those are famous for causing little kid's brains to spaz out.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
Downloaded and installed. Unplayable. Wait for the next update before purchasing.

Some kind of anti-epileptic technology has killed game play.

SLI/Crossfire is defeated for now.

Must be an April 1st thing.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »
One of the greatest rock instrumentals of all time.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
Good job.  I am glad that you made this post, you know instead of posting in the other thread http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,277184.90.html :rolleyes:
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »
Waiting for Russian and his excuse generator to show up in this thread as well.

The problem isn't just the anti-epileptic technology. Based on the information in the forum post Russian linked in that other thread, Storm of War is really just a prettied up Il-2 engine and is still built around late-90s/early-2000s technology (a good comparison is X-wing: Alliance, which was built on the same modified 10+ year-old SWotL engine the original X-wing used). SoW isn't 64-bit, and doesn't run on multiple cores. The central complaint seems to be that lack of multi-core processor support is the main performance bottleneck, and is what's REALLY killing it.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
One of the greatest rock instrumentals of all time.

Ya its my phone ringtone, I get more complements on it than any other ringtone.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2011, 01:12:52 AM »
Waiting for Russian and his excuse generator to show up in this thread as well.

apparently he is unable to show up.

Edit: Eric Johnson kicks but.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.