Author Topic: Real P-40B?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Real P-40B?
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »
Try flying any snapshot, FSO, event, scenario, anything other than the MA, where you need a betty, a beaufort, a wellington, a real P-40B, a Ki43, a P-2, or any number of things the game currently lacks.
Pardon my quoting this from another thread.  It would have been off topic and out of place after the three pages of point-counterpoint.

Anyway, Krusty appears to imply that there is something amiss in the P-40B modeling. 

Is it possible for Krusty, or anyone else in the know to elaborate on this?

And for the record, yes to developing all of the other planes mentioned.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Real P-40B?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
Krusty is always right.  Let's leave it at that.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »
P-2? Hmmmmm, is that a Pe-2 or a PO-2? Makes a world of difference (although both would be fun).

All the others listed - oh yes, please.  :aok

Plus the Fairey Swordfish. I'm an old Royal Navy Brat and I'd be very happy to fly an accurately-modelled Stringbag, even if it'd be the slowest aircraft in the planeset and probably the easiest 'kill'.

<grins when he imagines the perkies to be gained by downing a Hun fighter with a snap full-deflection shot from the front gun>

Re: the P-40B, I don't think there's much amiss in its modelling, its flight characteristics seem to match very well what I've read about the real thing.

:salute

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »
Krusty is always right.  Let's leave it at that.
See sig. :lol
See Rule #4

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
The P-40B is modeled as a P-40C... Thus, it is too heavy and too slow to perform like a B model should.  Meanwhile, our P-40E has WEP, which it did not actually have. Performance is essentially that of the P-40K.

P-40Cs has provision for an external drop tank and more armor than the B model. Top speed for the P-40C was 342 mph @16k, whereas the P-40B should manage 351 mph @ 16k.

P-40 issues are well known and well defined and I'm quite sure that they will be addressed when they receive their graphics update.

Krusty is probably correct.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
I'm going to quote "Krusty is probably correct" from WideWing in threads all the time now D..
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
I dont know about WEP settings on the later models (what was used specifically, what was allowed, etc) but the top speeds of the E, F, K, L, and M are all almost identical.

So whether or not our E had the right WEP settings, it still hits about the proper top speed.

Maybe Widewing is saying it should hit that without any WEP at all (like the Yak?)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
Pardon my quoting this from another thread.  It would have been off topic and out of place after the three pages of point-counterpoint.

Anyway, Krusty appears to imply that there is something amiss in the P-40B modeling. 

Is it possible for Krusty, or anyone else in the know to elaborate on this?

And for the record, yes to developing all of the other planes mentioned.

I'm still waiting for what he implies is wrong about our 1A.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »
I'm still waiting for what he implies is wrong about our 1A.

i'm actually waiting for the rest of the point.

generally when there's a "XXX is modeled wrong" thread, it happens to be that XXX is undermodeled, and was being flown by the person claiming it to be modeled wrongly....and whatever beat that person in the undermodeled aircraft is in fact overmodeled.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »

generally when there's a "XXX is modeled wrong" thread, it happens to be that XXX is undermodeled, and was being flown by the person claiming it to be modeled wrongly....and whatever beat that person in the undermodeled aircraft is in fact overmodeled.

me tinks cap is a bbs junkie :joystick:
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »

In the case of the 1A, in the P-47M thread Krusty said it was tossed in "as a gift to the players" and as a result the flight model wasn't what it SHOULD be, without actually saying what was wrong (overmodeled? Undermodeled? What's wrong with it?).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:10:05 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
Strokes

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
100 Krustys...

Fixed my post. Forgive me for dropping a number.  :P

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »
I'm hoping for a P-40N to be introduced when the Warhawk gets its graphics update.    Wouldn't mind seeing a Merlin-powered F for North African scenarios, and the very ungainly looking K.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
me tinks cap is a bbs junkie :joystick:

it's kinda how i get my ah "fix" when i can't get the time to log in and fly
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)