Author Topic: Real P-40B?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Real P-40B?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
I do not think 'MIL' and 'WEP' are interchangeable.

My experience is in jets.  There was a MIL setting at approx 100%, then there was afterburner.  Not a direct comparison, to be sure, but it leads me to believe that 'WEP' was something beyond MIL.  Didn't some engines of the era have nitrous injection?

WW2 era aircraft used all sorts of injections, but in many aircraft WEP was simply a higher manifold pressure and more RPMs.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
WW2 era aircraft used all sorts of injections, but in many aircraft WEP was simply a higher manifold pressure and more RPMs.

my understanding was that most german airctaft used some sort of nitrous injection, most liquid cooled allied "V" engines just had a "stop", which if you forced the throttle, you'd pass that point for higher manifold pressure(but this required engine replacement?), and allied radial engines had water injection.

i could be wrong though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

The key letter in WEP is the E ,,,the emergency part

For many engines it means just running it at a rating which would require the ground crew to check it or perform extra maintenance for it upon landing, and often could only be sustained for a limited period of time before the engine started doing things you didn't want it to do with the enemy around you. As opposed to MIL , which is in a way just the highest setting the engine can run at indefinitely (or you run out of fuel)

With some engines WEP   means a Methanol or Water or GM (nitrous oxide)  injection. As far as I know Aces High doesn't model the 'go juice' , it only models the higher engine rating that the 'go juice' would give you.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
AH doest really accurately model any of the WEP settings when it comes to total duration....

If so most of the German and American radials would run out of WEP permanently in five to ten minutes.

Without ANY regen, nitrous and water tanks dont get refilled in midair.

Planes that utilized extra boost/manifold pressure would not have this limitation.

Strip

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
AH doest really accurately model any of the WEP settings when it comes to total duration....

If so most of the German and American radials would run out of WEP permanently in five to ten minutes.

Planes that utilized extra boost/manifold pressure would not have this limitation.

Strip

This is what I understand as well.

It is highly unfortunate that some planes utilizing injections to cool/boost their engine power have in effect 'infinite' sized tanks of MW or GM-1, Water, etc.

Should need to land on a pad to regenerate the supply , just like ammo or fuel.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »

Strip

the limitation on the engines using extra boost or manifold pressure would be overheating, or self destruction.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
the limitation on the engines using extra boost or manifold pressure would be overheating, or self destruction.

Until you just cool the engine off and do it again.  Drawing on the magic limitless supply

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »
Until you just cool the engine off and do it again.  Drawing on the magic limitless supply
nononono......mypoint was that if they started to do the other types of wep properly, then this would be how they could do it with the "over revved" engines.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
My bad .

You're right.  :cheers:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »
My bad .

You're right.  :cheers:

not your bad really. i sometimes don't get things out of my head through my fingers as i intend them to come out.....and as such, am sometimes misunderstood.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
FYI...

Some engines, especially the Merlin in certain applications, could be run at full power until the fuel ran out without overheating.

The magical supply arguement only holds water with respect to nitrous or water injection, boosted engines would run til you pulled the throttle back or the engine quit.

Strip

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Some engines, especially the Merlin in certain applications, could be run at full power until the fuel ran out without overheating.

Then it's not WEP.

The magical supply arguement only holds water with respect to nitrous or water injection, boosted engines would run til you pulled the throttle back or the engine quit.

obvious point is obvious
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:02:16 PM by Gabriel »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »
FYI...

Strip

if i recall, aircraft such as the p51, p38, p47, had a "false" throttle stop...for lack of a better word. when the pilot got into trouble, he "forced" the throttle(s) through this "false" stop, thus increasing his manifold pressure, boost, and i think possibly rpm.
 this is what limited the time on these engines. they would overheat, or self destruct.

again, i'm not sure, but one of the mustang drivers that was in our r/c club(Bob Emme, passed last summer) said that using this required the removal of the engine when they got back to base.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 01:47:25 AM »

Yes, but how much "go juice" did they carry? Many planes carried 15 minutes of water injection, even if it could only be run at 5 minute bursts, and some LW planes carried well over half an hour's additives onboard, way more than needed to melt the engine down several times over from excess heat.

In a game like AH where 2x fuel burn in the MA limits most sorties to 30 minutes or less, you could run out of GAS before you run out of MW50.

Maybe eventually HTC will get around to adding this level of detail, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same end result. HEAT limits WEP, not so much the additives being drained dry.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
if i recall, aircraft such as the p51, p38, p47, had a "false" throttle stop...for lack of a better word. when the pilot got into trouble, he "forced" the throttle(s) through this "false" stop, thus increasing his manifold pressure, boost, and i think possibly rpm.
 this is what limited the time on these engines. they would overheat, or self destruct.

again, i'm not sure, but one of the mustang drivers that was in our r/c club(Bob Emme, passed last summer) said that using this required the removal of the engine when they got back to base.

Oh let's not start THAT debate again. WW, hitech and others with actual flight experience or experience working with these engines have already made it clear that there is NOT any time at those power settings before your engine blows up in your face. Over the course of a single sortie overheats will NOT affect engine performance like this. The only actual effect would be an ass-chewing by your crew chief and extra time in maintenance before the aircraft is cleared for flight again.

Overheats in sims are an artificial means of imposing operational procedures, NOT an accurate mechanical limitation of the equipment itself.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.