Author Topic: Western Front Setup for Consideration  (Read 987 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Western Front Setup for Consideration
« on: October 31, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
This setup represents the Blitzkrieg of Western Europe in the summer of 1940.
Admittedly I've had to take some liberties subbing the SBD for the limited capabilities of the Fokker D XXI, DXVII, and Douglas DB-8 Dive bomber.
The SBD also stands in for the Belgian Air Force Fokkers along with the Hurricane MK I representing it'self in Belgian service.
The C-47 stands in for the JU-52 and only the Germans will have paratroop capability.
The P-40B stands in for the French D.520 and the TBM stands in for the  RAF Blenheim MK V Bomber. No Spitfire squadrons were stationed in France during this period so the RAF and the French Arme'e de l'Air will have to depend on the Hurricane and P-40B to hold back the Luftwaffe. I've kept the ground war very abstract because of the lack of early war tanks however the German Army will have an edge in ground vehicles. If this setup were to be used by the third day of it's run the Dutch bases  A5 A6 and A12 as well as the Belgian bases A23 A33 A18 A29 A40 A47 A52 A57 A62 A49 and A44 should be turned over to the Axis side Knights and the SBDs stationed there removed and German aircraft put in their place.
Okay here's the setup...

On the Western Front... The Germans launch Operation Gelb, the
offensive in the west. Army Group C (Leeb) holds the German frontier opposite
the French Maginot Line while Army Group A (Rundstedt) makes the main attack
through the Ardennes and Army Group B (Bock) makes a secondary advance through
Belgium and Holland to draw the main British and French forces north. During the
day, Army Group A strikes, with three armored corps in the lead, heading for
Sedan, Montherme and Dinant. The advance is rapid and the little opposition,
mostly French cavalry, is thrown aside. To the north, Army Group B carries out
parachute landings deep inside Holland which do much to paralyze Dutch
resistance, while German units cross the Maas River near Arnhem and the Belgian
fort at Eben Emael is put out of action by a German airborne force which lands
its gliders literally on top of it. The fort is meant to cover the crossings of
the Albert Canal nearby and this is not achieved. The Luftwaffe gives
powerful support taking on the Air Forces of Belgium, Holland, France, and Britain.

Map: Ardennes
Axis Knights
Allies Bishops.

ALLIED FORCES:

Royal Dutch Air Force
Bases A5 A6 and A12
Aircraft SBD
GVs M8

Belgian Air Force
Bases A23 A33 A18 A29 A40 A47 A52 A57 A62 A49 and A44
Aircraft SBD and Hurricane MkI
GVs M8

RAF and French Arme'e de l'AirBases All remaining Bishop
Aircraft Hurricane MKI P-40B TBM
GVs M3 M8 M16

AXIS FORCES:

Luftwaffe
Aircraft BF-109E BF-110C JU87 JU88 C-47
GVs M3 M8 Ostwind SdKfz 251

Arena Settings:
Fog is set at 30.0 miles.
MA bombsight .
Radar settings:
Tower 079,200 (feet)
Sector 105,600
Fuel is 1.0 burn rate.
Ack is .25 (that is, considerably less effective than MA)
Friendly mid-airs are off.
Killshooter is on.
Strat is disabled.
Ten troops required for base capture (map room setting
is .0015)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:34:47 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Western Front Setup for Consideration
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »
Works for me :aok

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
TBM and SBD?  No.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »
Why not?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
For many good reasons, one of the most important being the 3d models which bare no resemblance whatsoever to their counterparts.  The Fokker is a single seat aircraft while the SBD has two crewmen, and the Blenheim has two engines while the TBM has one.  I'm not even going to start about skins and armament differences.

It's also much more convincing to say that the P-40B is a P-36 than to try to pass it off for a D.520.

I'll never understand the impulse to run setups for which we lack the aircraft when there are so many good setups for which we do have the aircraft.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
Not that big of a deal.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »
I'll never understand the impulse to run setups for which we lack the aircraft when there are so many good setups for which we do have the aircraft.

Because the so called good setups have been run into the ground to the point it's the same old thing. I can understand the stretch of the SBD but it represents the abilities of the whole Dutch Air Force.
Its not a deal breaker to remove it. However the TBM should stay as it's performance and bombload are the closest thing we have to the Blenhiem. Also the P-40B is a good match for the D.520 as well as the P-36. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:51:53 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Gee, if only some early war planes could be added like say the He-111... oh wait, there are still countless obscure variations of allied planes left to model first!
See Rule #4

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
<S> Shifty, nice idea!

I think your difficulties reveal the total inadequacy of our current setup to represent early war in Europe. Oh, well... I understand that most of the planes missing on our planeset would be completely irrelevant for the launch of Aces High. I even concede that these aircrafts - D.520, Morane Saulnier, Potez, Fokker, Do-17, He-111 and so on - would be unnecessary until, say... AH2. Today, I must say that I start to feel that there is a sense of incompletude (is this a word?). Aces High is approaching his 3rd version and we still don't have a minimal EW planeset, a minimum French planeset, a better equipped Russian, Japanese and Italian planesets...

We have to throw SDBs and TBMs in replacement for some aircraft that, although for a short period, were the only one available... And some, like the French and Italian, were present for a long time in other theatres of operations...

Ok, rambling mode off!  :D I can live with the SDB and TBM subs, but to be very honest, I find the JU-88 overkill. Unless formations are disabled... But still overkill.

Keep up the good work Shifty, it's working!  :aok
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »
Gee, if only some early war planes could be added like say the He-111... oh wait, there are still countless obscure variations of allied planes left to model first!
The missing aircraft for this proposed setup are mostly Allied.  Just because the US set is the most comprehensive doesn't mean the Allied set is fine.  The German set is the second most comprehensive, then the British in third.  No other set could be considered remotely complete and the French have no set at all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-