Author Topic: Real P-40B?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: Real P-40B?
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »
As opposed to MIL , which is in a way just the highest setting the engine can run at indefinitely (or you run out of fuel)
I thought the same, but the above posted pages from P-40 manuals show a time limit on MIL settings.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
Oh let's not start THAT debate again. WW, hitech and others with actual flight experience or experience working with these engines have already made it clear that there is NOT any time at those power settings before your engine blows up in your face. Over the course of a single sortie overheats will NOT affect engine performance like this. The only actual effect would be an ass-chewing by your crew chief and extra time in maintenance before the aircraft is cleared for flight again.

Overheats in sims are an artificial means of imposing operational procedures, NOT an accurate mechanical limitation of the equipment itself.
No offense here but you're assertion is flying almost in direct contradiction to real life evidence. At any point in time a system failure (i.e. cracked supercharger housing, defective cylinder, cracked fuel line, leaking radiator, etc...) could cause an engine to explode when War Emergency Power was enabled, either at the time it was enabled or when something caused a part(s) to fail. The documented effects of using WEP in WWII were predominantly excessive engine wear due and overheat due to the increased RPMs and in some instances when tolerances were pushed to the mechanical limits, engine failure. Very similar to the effects of a car engine exploding in a drag race (especially the top fuel dragsters). After every sortie the engine would be inspected for damage and if the WEP had been used the engine would be torn down and inspected inside and out which added to the amount of time the plane and its pilot was grounded.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »
No, my assertion is based on the real-life evidence posted in other threads on this discussion by people who have both general flight experience (hitech) and specific experience WITH these engines (Widewing).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »
Very similar to the effects of a car engine exploding in a drag race (especially the top fuel dragsters). After every sortie the engine would be inspected for damage and if the WEP had been used the engine would be torn down and inspected inside and out which added to the amount of time the plane and its pilot was grounded.

Sorry comparing a Merlin engine to a nitromethane burning Top Fuel car is a very very very bad idea....

In terms of hp per cubic inch the Merlin engine even at its best performance was only pulling about 1.3 hp/cid. Do you REALLY think that the engineers back then were pushing the limits of the engine that far?  The Top Fuel on the other hand is pulling about 16 hp/cid while doing that in a very small and light design. Your talking about an engine that pulls over 150 inches of manifold pressure igniting a substance that is 52% (by weight) oxygen. Sorry but comparing anything in a Top Fuel with a Merlin engine is like comparing a V8 to a weed eater.

Strip
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:08:37 PM by Strip »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
Sorry comparing a Merlin engine to a nitromethane burning Top Fuel car is a very very very bad idea....

In terms of hp per cubic inch the Merlin engine even at its best performance was only pulling about 1.3 hp/cid. Do you REALLY think that the engineers back then were pushing the limits of the engine that far?  The Top Fuel on the other hand is pulling about 16 hp/cid while doing that in a very small and light design. Your talking about an engine that pulls over 150 inches of manifold pressure igniting a substance that is 52% (by weight) oxygen. Sorry but comparing anything in a Top Fuel with a Merlin engine is like comparing a V8 to a weed eater.

Strip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84
check this out dude.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
I have watched that one a few times before......just watched it again because its so cool.

<Insert drool smiley>

The real question....whats the 1/4 mile time?

:D

Strip

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
I have watched that one a few times before......just watched it again because its so cool.

<Insert drool smiley>

The real question....whats the 1/4 mile time?

:D

Strip

i've never found a video where the guy ran it. it'd be interesting........and yes, i drool EVERY time i see that too.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)