Author Topic: Hotas Warthog?  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Hotas Warthog?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:17 AM »
UPDATED INFORMATION from E3 on the TM Warthog.

Too much to post here but they have a new programming software that is out with this as well. Things are looking good in TM fan land...until we know the complete story this is what we have.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3032727.html#Post3032727
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:44:47 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Great article but I would have preferred to read about how it 'felt' in all axes, vs. watching videos of someone moving the controls and NOT saying boo about the action of each axis.

As for the $ amount, I'm always amused to read about sticker shock in this hobby. I have a 7 year old Cougar that I modded with Halls and a new gimbal system so it's a lot more expensive than the stock version, which 7 years ago, was 250 USD. I have spent WAY MORE than the predicted price of the Warthog in the last seven years on video cards, RAM, mobos, displays, TrackIR, the list goes on.

If this new HOTAS lasts as long as my Cougar has and does all the stuff it's supposed to then spending 400-odd bucks ONCE is a steal compared to the endless expense of upgrading other computer hardware components.

Good, Quick, Cheap.

Choose any two.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
Great article but I would have preferred to read about how it 'felt' in all axes, vs. watching videos of someone moving the controls and NOT saying boo about the action of each axis.

As for the $ amount, I'm always amused to read about sticker shock in this hobby. I have a 7 year old Cougar that I modded with Halls and a new gimbal system so it's a lot more expensive than the stock version, which 7 years ago, was 250 USD. I have spent WAY MORE than the predicted price of the Warthog in the last seven years on video cards, RAM, mobos, displays, TrackIR, the list goes on.

If this new HOTAS lasts as long as my Cougar has and does all the stuff it's supposed to then spending 400-odd bucks ONCE is a steal compared to the endless expense of upgrading other computer hardware components.

Good, Quick, Cheap.

Choose any two.

That's the key point for me jocko. I don't want to spend the money that I have subsequently spent on my Cougar to upgrade another stick to working at least as good as I would have expected the Cougar to for the money I spent when I bought it way back when. I have probably spent at least 2 times the amount I initially spent on my Cougar with mods, fixes and repairs out of MY pocket. It worked great for a while before getting to the point it just wouldn't work as well with flight in general for small changes in direction. SO we shall see what the SimHQ guys say when they get their review sample. $400 USD is right on the verge of that too much outlay of cash for an expected return on fun factor for me in a controller WITHOUT rudder pedals.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »

Whereas I feel that $400 is likely to be on the cusp of being too little money to manufacturer and market a product of sufficient quality that I'd be interested in changing to it (and that's without rudder pedals in the mix).

I agree with you though on the sentiment - to get a "what they expected in the first place"  Cougar, many folks have spent upwards of $750  (some more) on it, including the original purchase - and had to do the work themselves along with assuming the associated risk of damaging an already moderately expensive investment.  I in no way want to end up in that boat.

I hope it's in the neighborhood of $400-500 at a minimum, since any less and I don't see how it can be of the quality I'm hoping for.

But like everyone else, I guess I'll just keep on waiting to see.
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »
Since the throttle has it's own USB plug it would be nice if they sold the throttle separately as well as in a set with the stick. 

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 09:16:54 AM »
Thought it would be appropriate to make a new thread about my experience with the Warthog so far

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291234.0.html
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC