Author Topic: Recomendation for joystick gear  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Recomendation for joystick gear
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:02 AM »
I went through 3 X-45's within 2.5 years and an X-52 in less than 6 months.   

I now use:

CH Fighterstick

and

CH Pro Pedals

I do not regret buying these.   I regret not getting them and "doing it right the first time". 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 02:26:25 AM »
C&H isn't perfect, the 8 way hat switch is really high up on the head, you need big hands to be able to reach it comfortably. I myself use the 8 way hat switch on the throttle for views.
Doesn't have flashing lights either. :(

I have to squeeze my fingers close together on the stick in order to use my pinky on the pinky button (ie. the stick is not so big).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 03:20:47 AM »

its your opinion that your ability to perform "god like" maneuvers is a direct result from having a CH setup? and in your opinion its not possible for someone without a CH to be "god like" such as yourself?

Kazaa is a god and you obviously haven't fought him. 

Please return to this thread after 2 hours in the DA with him any plane your choice.  I look forward to the excuses you may well come up with.  Please don't use your current stick setup as one.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 03:29:50 AM »
I have to squeeze my fingers close together on the stick in order to use my pinky on the pinky button (ie. the stick is not so big).

Mate, my friends don't call me "Little Lukey" for nothing, I'm only 5,6'. Gratz on your beastly paws!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
I've spent more on controllers over the years than I have on some of the vehicles I've owned. 

Precision makes a big difference - which was why I loved the MS Sidewiders so much.  Not so much in comparing pilots to pilot, but I have found it to be true that my own enjoyment suffers greatly when I use a crappy stick (because I spend so much energy fighting the gear) than when I use a quality stick.   It's the pilot not the gear, though - I've known sim pilots who flew with a 2 Axis joystick and the keyboard for everything else yet could wipe the snot out of 99% of the rest regardless of what gear they had.

The biggest problem I have with Saitek (beyond to poor quality materials that wear "loose" in a few months and the obviously "never meant to be opened for repair" construction) is that the spring and sliding disk tensioning mechanism is just about the poorest simulation of a flight control I've ever seen - it requires the MOST effort to make the SLIGHTEST change off of center - whereas a real aircraft (in trim) can be precision controlled with a fingertip. This makes precision near impossible, and means that Saitek users are often fighting their sticks as much as the opponent when trying to make difficult shots.

The best stick I ever had was the original Logitech Wingman Force.  The worst I've ever owned (for a day) was the Logitech Wingman Force 3D.   The best HOTAS I've ever owned was a modified MS Sidewinder FF wired to SimPeds for rudder and a Suncom SFS throttle.

The CH stuff I have now is a decent, solid setup, with the weakest point being the construction of the rudders - arguably in no way is it perfect.  The size of the stick can easily be dealt with if you have short hands by cutting a foam disk and taping it to the top of the palm rest.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Bah all you spending 300$ on joystick gear.  I'm a cheapy, I just go around dieing with the trusty ol:

Logitech (improvised) Rudder system: (running on 3 years with not even 1 problem)

And the Saitek Av8r: (had it maybe 6 months now, not sure what to try when it dies)

One thing I can't stand about most Joysticks is the amount of buttons they put in reach of each hand.  I don't like having more then 3-4 buttons and a hat in my right hands reach.
I never have enough money at one time to justify CH. :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Same here 1701E, I use the pedals from my Logitech Momo wheel for my rudder so I can switch to driving games (Grand Prix Legends anyone?) without too much usb faffing

Apart from that my X52 seems fine, I prefer the weaker spring over the stiffer X52 pro. I tried a CH stick and even with a foam pad my hand ached after a while from the ergonomics
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
The really great thing about CH is that it is so easy to change out potentiometers if and when they do go bad. The shortest time I have had to change them out was eight years (my throttle) and I dont know about longest yet (obviously).  :D

Now after spending $300 and the stick lasts lets say eight years you spend $20 ($10 for the part and $7+ for shipping) to fix it and you are good for another eight years. If you have to do that for all three controls (I have four actually) it might end up costing a total of $380. I would have to replace the Saitek and Logitech controls every three months to a year and deal with a lot more down time and expense.

I choose CH.   :old:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
I really wish some of you ch owners would really stop with your "I am better because of my stick and lets da to prove it to you".  that is just silly.  just give your opinion and leave it at that.  no point in arguing, you guys love your ch, that is great, we love our x52 that is great and some others love just the keyboard that's great too. 

there's no such thing as "do it right the first time"  it all comes down to a matter of preference.  I bought ch gear and lasted me one day. I have had my x52 ,which i bought to replace the ch, for 2 years and still works great.  based on that i could say that ch makes crappy products, but that would not be true.  same for the x52 more people have problems with x52 because more people prefer it/buy it over the ch.

Me, I am not willing to spend $300 for a product that will last forever.  I would rather spend $100 on a product that will last me 2-3 years, then buy it again if I have to.  but then again that is my preference you guys think spending 300 is better then a big  :aok.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
The really great thing about CH is that it is so easy to change out potentiometers if and when they do go bad. The shortest time I have had to change them out was eight years (my throttle) and I dont know about longest yet (obviously).  :D

Now after spending $300 and the stick lasts lets say eight years you spend $20 ($10 for the part and $7+ for shipping) to fix it and you are good for another eight years. If you have to do that for all three controls (I have four actually) it might end up costing a total of $380. I would have to replace the Saitek and Logitech controls every three months to a year and deal with a lot more down time and expense.

I choose CH.   :old:

Are you talking about the Hotus Thustmaster or is this a pure CH product Joystick and Throttle set. Where did you buy it from?
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
I really wish some of you ch owners would really stop with your "I am better because of my stick and lets da to prove it to you".  that is just silly.  just give your opinion and leave it at that.  no point in arguing, you guys love your ch, that is great, we love our x52 that is great and some others love just the keyboard that's great too.  

there's no such thing as "do it right the first time"  it all comes down to a matter of preference.  I bought ch gear and lasted me one day. I have had my x52 ,which i bought to replace the ch, for 2 years and still works great.  based on that i could say that ch makes crappy products, but that would not be true.  same for the x52 more people have problems with x52 because more people prefer it/buy it over the ch.

Me, I am not willing to spend $300 for a product that will last forever.  I would rather spend $100 on a product that will last me 2-3 years, then buy it again if I have to.  but then again that is my preference you guys think spending 300 is better then a big  :aok.

semp

If the CH product lasted one day then why would you not send it back.....was it new....? I think not. There is definitely a difference in quality of a CH stick and rudder that I challenge you to dispute.Smoother controls and better reactions to controller input would ultimately equate to "god like " flying.Kazaa and BRUV are GREAT sticks and I would have to believe they could do what they do with a popcicle stick attached to a shoebox but quality definitely enhances they're skill. I myself have much better control with the CH setup I have, than any other setup prior and I will stick (no pun intended) with it until it goes down. Mind you stated in an earlier thread I can fix very easily problems with the CH or opt to send it back to CH  and have them fix it for the price of shipping. Does any of your "Ungod" like gear companies do that . Trying sending a stick and or pedals other than CH for repair after 90 days let alone 2 to 5 years....................... :salute
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:54:48 PM by REVRAND »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:09 PM »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

otherwise there is no credible evidence that any brand is better than another

Yes there is.  Get a Gravis 4 button stick and compare it to a CH stick and you'll notice the difference in not only quality but also in accuracy.  That is one of the main selling points of CH sticks, it's far more accurate than most sticks on the market and have been for at least the last 15 years or so.  Sure, with sticks going digital, more sticks have become 'accurate' but not many have reached the accuracy of CH.  But then, it's not like I know much, after all I only worked there for a few years as their Senior PC techs in the mid to late '90s.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
C&H isn't perfect, the 8 way hat switch is really high up on the head, you need big hands to be able to reach it comfortably.

That's because the owner, Chuck Hayes has big hands and all the stick molds were fitted to his hand.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »
If the CH product lasted one day then why would you not send it back.....was it new....? I think not. There is definitely a difference in quality of a CH stick and rudder that I challenge you to dispute.Smoother controls and better reactions to controller input would ultimately equate to "god like " flying.Kazaa and BRUV are GREAT sticks and I would have to believe they could do what they do with a popcicle stick attached to a shoebox but quality definitely enhances they're skill. I myself have much better control with the CH setup I have, than any other setup prior and I will stick (no pun intended) with it until it goes down. Mind you stated in an earlier thread I can fix very easily problems with the CH or opt to send it back to CH  and have them fix it for the price of shipping. Does any of your "Ungod" like gear companies do that . Trying sending a stick and or pedals other than CH for repair after 90 days let alone 2 to 5 years....................... :salute

it was brand new out of the box.  and yes i did return it.  and like i said before when the x52 wears out I gonna buy one of these great ch stick just to give it another chance, the thing is mine wont break down and trust me, I have tried  :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.