Author Topic: Recomendation for joystick gear  (Read 2644 times)

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
Recomendation for joystick gear
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
Hello:

I have been away from the game a few years and I'm thinking about returning but none of my old gear is usable.

I used to have CH serial setup with separate stick, throttle and pedals.  Later I used a MS Sidewinder but I hated the twisty stick part.

I looked at CH's site and it looks like I can still get most of my old gear in a usb form but I wanted to see what other options are available these days.  Any feedback or recommendation is appreciated.

HUN

Vini Vidi Vulchi

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Recomendation for joystick gear
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
How much money do you want to spend? CH IS the way to go, but there is that Logicrap G490 out, a few have tried it and seem to like it. I personally use an X52 for about 5 years, but many have had 3 or 4 X52's in that time span...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
If it's been a few years, you might want to look at your computer to make sure it will be OK before spending any money on new controllers.  The current game requires a bit more power than the old days. Try flying offline and check your frame rate B4 buying new sticks.  Welcome back.   :cheers:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:30:44 PM »
Joystic wise, my logitec attack 3 has lasted me 5 years of gaming and 3 years of AH2. It seems pretty good, and I haven't had any problems so far. Some may concider it a little lacking in buttons, but I find that for the basic commands, it has plenty of room, and I'm sifting through the other stuff trying to find what I'd use the most.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
Go with all CH gear. It's trouble free and lasts forever.

my 2 cents

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far folks.

As for some of the questions:

The PC is a quad core AMD with 7GB of RAM and 2TB of space.
Gforce 7900 with 512MB

I guess my budget is around $300 for the stick...

HUN

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
$300 should get you real close to a full CH set-up. Check www.provantage.com for prices.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
Over the last 10+ years all I've used is CH gear. The only reason I've bought any new was to switch to USB stuff. The analog pedals are kept as a back-up because they can still be used with a USB adapter, but seeing as it is CH gear, I may never need to use a back-up!   :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »
CH leads the way.......behind Rangers :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
There is new stuff on the way. If you can hang I would wait to see how it works out. I.E. the X65F and the warthog from thrustmaster.

Infidelz

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »
If you can get the full CH set for the money you have go for it.
The new Logitech one is FFB, if you like that.
I wouldn't go for the fighterstick(I have it) go for the one with fewer hats on it, with Track IR and the throttle hats, you really do not need the extra hats on the stick.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
I've had some issues with my CH setup. However, I am a strong supporter of that product. It is amazing what you can do with a good set up. Also they have the Ch hanger website that just has all kinds of information.

BTW, I may have my issue resolved. Going to test it tonight.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:59:10 AM »
C&H are second to none for precision and reliability. Just make sure you have a big wallet and even bigger hands!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
I guess I am stuck with my $99 saitek x52 it hasnt let me down not matter what I do to it so it can break down so I can buy one of these indestructible ch products. I am not joking, but i have spilled beer, water, juice and sometimes slobber while vulching a field, I have dropped it, janked it and slapped it, and ,except for the occasional out of calibration issue, the so called pos wont quit.  btw did you look at the postings in technical support about all the people that are having problems with ch now.  I have only owned one ch gear that i got on clearance and it didnt work so i returned it.  this is my first x52 and I have had it for about 2 years.  I guess I am stuck with it for a while longer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
lol dont worry gun you will be marginalized along with the other 75%..... seems alot of high minded typists love to overjoy about CH on the boards.......... truth be told they have their share of problems just like every other brand

I had my Logitech Wingman for nearly 14 years before I knocked it off my desk and stepped on it this spring........ otherwise it would still be in use......... and just as effective as any CH product on the market

Ive said it many times and will again........ the stick does not make you a better pilot.........

I dont see any CH owners admitting that they would suck if they owned a saitek or logitech ........ no because even the boastful realize that a $10 stick is just as good if you are a skilled pilot

get a stick that feels comfortable in your hand..... and has the features  (buttons, hatswitches, etc) that you think will work best with your gameplay......

otherwise there is no credible evidence that any brand is better than another
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand