Author Topic: Recomendation for joystick gear  (Read 2712 times)

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
Re: Recomendation for joystick gear
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
try and break sticks .............????    doesnt make much sense...... :huh

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
Went from using a full x52 set up (stick, throttle and pedals) to now using a CH Fighter Stick, Saitek Throttle and Pedals (prefer the pedals to the CH ones as they are further apart).

The difference between my x52 stick and the ch stick is big, ch stick is much more accurate, allows me to ride the edge of the stall much much longer - that said, I was happy with the x52, but found it was holding me back in fights (thats my particular stick tho).

As for the choice of sticks, I'd go with a CH stick, saitek throttle and pedals (my throttle is so far over 2 years old with nary a glitch, ditto my pedals).
Just my opinion, ymmv

Wurzel

Edit:- If you want to find out how the x52 stick I had is doing now, ask Lormaxs (as I sent it to him as his went t/u!!)
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
 any input from a thrustmaster user ? come on give us ypur input
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »

Thrustmaster sitting under my desk keeping my feet warm.....nuff said......last a year......went to pedals...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 04:48:56 AM »
Just saw that CH is no longer family owned, bought out by some European industrial firm last year.  Sad, I really did enjoy working for the Hayes family during my stint at CH many years ago.  Hope this means the famous CH quality doesn't go down the crapper like Thrustmaster's did when they sold out to Guillemot.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
Ok then
I have owned and used in AH
A logitech twist stick(4-6 months till death)
A Saitech hotas system(bought it at the first con, 4-6 months till death by play)
A Thrust master cougar system(moded to hall sensors and uber upgrade after 4-6 months) then sold after 4-6 months
got tired of wrestling with the springs in that even though it did fly great.

and ONE CH set. I flew it for 2 years, then took a break for a few years, then flew it for 6 months, then a year + break, now am flying it again.

In all those years of using this system, across 3 computers, it has never ever ever ever ever raised one issue. It has never failed to just work perfectly in AH or IL2.
Does it make me a better pilot, no, but it never makes me a worse one, it is accurate, non spiking and very predictable in its play. My first set of joystick port CH pedals that I used with the saitek and Cougar have been in the closet for years.  I went full USB when I got rid of the cougar.

So. Some people protest too much. When some of us bang the CH drum it is not from some kind of pathetic noodle envy. It is from dropping hundreds of dollars into this for years then finding that they dont have to spend or worry about joysticks anymore, they bought one that just works.
Not the sexiest, not metal, no exchangeable grips. lol
Just works. for gaming, which is what I do.

When I had the cougar I was like a joystick hobbiest not a fligh sim hobbyist.
But the uber cougar with halls, it had the best feel, quite a bit better feel then a CH stick......
I do have quite big hands though.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
My only advice with CH or any setup is make absolutely sure you have a good PSU.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Digr1

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 02:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far folks.

As for some of the questions:

The PC is a quad core AMD with 7GB of RAM and 2TB of space.
Gforce 7900 with 512MB

I guess my budget is around $300 for the stick...

HUN

check out Siatek x-64 series and add pedals that will keep it under 300 and have a nice set up. I use the X-52 for several years and no problems after i added the pedals

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
Have been using the X-52, for 2 years now without a problem.  Got the stick and throttle first then added pedals last spring.  One advantage saitek has over CH is the twisty.  You don't have to buy pedals to fly.  Second BIG advantage for me is size.  I have small hands and when I tried a CH once, it was uncomfortable because it was too big.  The X-52 is adjustable.  Finally, the X-52 is much cheaper than a CH setup.  I'm still glad I got the X-52. 

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »
Hope this means the famous CH quality doesn't go down the crapper like Thrustmaster's did when they sold out to Guillemot

Amen!

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
I started out with a MS Sidewinder FFB which was great at the time. Over the years I had a couple of flightsticks leading me to the HOTAS Cougar which cost me >600 CHF at that time. It was sturdy and precise. The programming software required a degree in engineering but it was worth the trouble. I 'modded' it what didn't help it from slowly falling apart being hold together by duct tape finally.

Coming back to simming I choose the Logitech G940 despite the somewhat questionable reputation it has in these forums. And I haven't regreted it. It's an awesome HOTAS system with an abundance of buttons and even more rotaries than the Cougar. The programming software is somewhat limited but very user friendly. I cannot do the wild macro cylces I did with the Cougar software but it's more than enough for any sim out there (excluding the DCS series maybe). The stick itself is sturdy and has a great button layout for bigger hands (like mine). It's FFB which is more off a hindrance than a treat in AH but is great for FFB optimized sims. You can screw it to your simpit easily since it has pre-drilled holes. The throttle offers a dual/split mode which can be locked and unlocked during flying with one hand. Also it has illuminated buttons which can be programmed to change color (haven't figured that one out yet though). The rudders are the best pair I had since I started sim flying. It offers a wider stance than most which is great and it has toe brakes. I haven't had that spiking yet some people gripe about.

All in all the G940 is a wonderful care-free all in one packages at a very reasonable price. It might be overkill for AH but any serious simmer will quickly reveal its full potential, especially with modern war sim.

Real men fly Radial!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »

Ok I think I can give a good opinion on pretty much everything up to the CH USB based gear. I have owned/flown with almost everything that was produced to play a cartoon airplane game with and still have some of them in boxes (never used) in a cabinet.

• Saitek - Currently using an X-52. It isn't the greatest but it does the job. The profile software sucks monkey balls so I just program and calibrate within AH. Overall it was CHEAP and I needed a cheap stick for my son since I wasn't going to give him a TM Cougar to learn with. I do use it quite a bit because I just don't have my TM gear setup for a quick flight all the time.
  • Logitech - Owned several different ones for a couple of months in various stages and they never work long enough for me to do anything other than return and get my money back. Somehow I feel soiled and violated when I buy something from them that isn't a keyboard or mouse. They just don't seem to have their stuff together to make a decent bit of flight sim kit.
  • CH - Used the original Flight Stick years ago and liked it but wanted more and was given a set of TM which I will talk about next. I continued to use it and even bought a full set of Fighter Stick, Throttle and pedals and thought they were very well made and worked great. I could not stand the way the pedals were so close together. I don't have any experience with their USB based items so I can't comment there but they make/made some good stuff to play these games with. I remember that the profile builder that they had back in the beginning was kinda clunky to use but worked fine once you learned the syntax. I really liked the CH gear back when I used it and it was a solid and well built item but ultimately I decided that TM had the better items on the market.
  • TM - As mentioned above I was given a FCS/WCS with no pedals by a friend. I flew on that from time to time while I owned the CH and really could not find a difference in the two sets. I then bought an RCS set of pedals when I bought the FLCS-Pro/TQS (which got upgraded with the digital chips from Bob Church) and about that time frame I quit using the other and moved exclusively to my TM gear. I gave the CH stuff to a friend and he eventually gave it away after buying a TM Cougar setup like me. Anyway I sold all my used flight sim gear when I moved my family to California and that was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. Now I own a TM Cougar FLCS and TQS controller set with RCS pedals that have been upgraded and repaired using a Hall Sensor mod. My Cougar is still original condition but will most likely be getting the upgrade on the gimbals and then passed down to my oldest son for him to use. I am currently waiting on the newest TM gear that has been announced to see if I should buy a second Cougar or if I should wait on the A-10C Warthog. One last thing...I love using the Foxy software that comes with the Cougar; it makes the programming of the gear easy and works great in all sims that I have played using it.

So I personally love my TM Cougar and RCS pedals setup. I get by with the X-52 that I may pass down to my son if I don't buy the new TM gear and I am waiting to upgrade the current TM gear.

BUT in order to make the decision that is best for you. Try each one out either at a friends house, in the store, somewhere because only you can decide what is best for you.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:48:23 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"