Author Topic: Hangars and Ack Reupping  (Read 5642 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Hangars and Ack Reupping
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 03:02:42 AM »
Can we also reduce the amount of G these buildings can pull? Everytime I see a building they are always pulling 1G!

Some ain't right I tell ya.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
I haven't seen a war won in years, and this is probably why.
-Twitchy

Not probably why - exactly why.

Over the years, HTC has gone to great lengths to make base-taking increasingly difficult.

Why is, of course, open for discussion but I expect its because they designed a WWII combat flight simulator, not Risk Online.

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »
Not probably why - exactly why.
Over the years, HTC has gone to great lengths to make base-taking increasingly difficult.
Why is, of course, open for discussion but I expect its because they designed a WWII combat flight simulator, not Risk Online.
Oh it's a comabt simulator... I see.  :rofl
Yeah those Town buildings and map rooms are there just there to give you furballers more asthetics, right?

"Over the years, HTC has gone to great lengths to make base-taking increasingly difficult."
I know Saurdini here is probably just tickled with the furballer catering service they've gotten, but I really don't think I'm the only one that finds this fact less and less appealing. Even Super Mario Bros. had levels to accomplish.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 12:57:43 PM »
There are no such numbers available.

The result was a continuous race for reset that simply consisted of two "big" countries constantly ganging on the smaller one.

Current, everyday life in LW Blue.

ROX

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
Oh it's a comabt simulator... I see.  :rofl
Yeah those Town buildings and map rooms are there just there to give you furballers more asthetics, right?

"Over the years, HTC has gone to great lengths to make base-taking increasingly difficult."
I know Saurdini here is probably just tickled with the furballer catering service they've gotten, but I really don't think I'm the only one that finds this fact less and less appealing. Even Super Mario Bros. had levels to accomplish.

I started playing this game (the only one I play) because I have always loved WWII airplanes and aerial combat.  That is why I still play this game. That is why I couldn't really give a damn about capturing towns.  

Did you wake up one day and say to yourself, "You know, I think I want to go capture a town on a video game, let me see what may be out there on the internet that will let me do that."  I just don't understand why you got into this game in the first place if that is what motivates you.  Why do you continue to play it?  There has to be a better WIN TEH WARZ!!11!!! type strategy game out there than this one.  I just don't get it.  
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
Current, everyday life in LW Blue.

ROX

But which country is being ganged is always changing, depending on time of day and -lot of people tend to ignore that- map layout.

And no, it's not always Knights ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
But which country is being ganged is always changing, depending on time of day and -lot of people tend to ignore that- map layout.

And no, it's not always Knights ;)

Best of luck trying to sell that.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
I started playing this game (the only one I play) because I have always loved WWII airplanes and aerial combat.  That is why I still play this game. That is why I couldn't really give a damn about capturing towns.  

Did you wake up one day and say to yourself, "You know, I think I want to go capture a town on a video game, let me see what may be out there on the internet that will let me do that."  I just don't understand why you got into this game in the first place if that is what motivates you.  Why do you continue to play it?  There has to be a better WIN TEH WARZ!!11!!! type strategy game out there than this one.  I just don't get it.  

I've watched you post on this Board since you started SunBat.   You don't need me to tell you that you've changed for the better.   :rock to you.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »
So we up in formation heavy, fly to an enemy field, deack and drop the VH and work the town over, we even bust the resupply convoy. Oops, the goon gets shot down, so we reup another goon and bring it back in. What do you know, the VH is back up and the Ack has popped in less time than it takes to return to the field.
What kind of construction crew is working on these hangars, and how can I hire them?
Stuff is reupping waaaaay too quickly, which is kind of ridiculous IMO. Can we slow this process down, hitting the convoy doesn't seem to do it, and flying 200 miles to hit the strats on a fresh map is an exercise in futility. I'd be willing to bet if you compared the number of map resets and base takes now to what it was several years ago, the difference would be a staggering statistic.
Can we slow this popping down, or at least make the process more dependent on running field supplies or something. I haven't seen a war won in years, and this is probably why.
-Twitchy

[ sarcasm]O.K., but you have to requisition a new goon through channels and wait two days for it to be delivered to your front line base. And if somebody gets shot down, you have to wait until that mission is over, do a casualty report through HQ, and wait 3 days for a replacement pilot to show up and participate in your attempt to capture the field. Meanwhile, the enemy will have reinforced the airfield with more fighters, and brought more troops in to defend the city. Or, we can cycle the city / hangars / etc in just a few minutes and let you re-up and come back when you die.[ /sarcasm]

Seriously, though, you had a plan and it failed because the goon was killed. Why should you get another chance without having to re-set somewhat? I'm asking this in all seriousness. I'm sure you have no problem with being able to re-spawn as soon as you die. Why should the town / hangar / strats / whatever have to stay down while you get the never-ending supply of pilots, planes, and troops? The current system works pretty well. I've seen well-defended fields snatched from under the defenders' noses by a well executed plan. I've seen a horde-attack on a field spoiled by as few as two defenders because the only plan was fly to the base as a horde.

Have a plan, think about the timing and how the enemy might react and plan for that. Count on the plan to take the base, not the buildings being down longer.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

Why is, of course, open for discussion but I expect its because they designed a WWII combat flight simulator.

Not quite

I see no mention of a flight simulator
I do however see "Air Land or sea"

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:04:15 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
I've watched you post on this Board since you started SunBat.   You don't need me to tell you that you've changed for the better.   :rock to you.   

Thanks.  I appreciate that.   :rock
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Masherbrum ,
Could you ever understand the wind at all?
Or see the cosmic sea?

and more importantly
When your sad. Do you sliiide? 

:)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
Oh it's a comabt simulator... I see.  :rofl

Are you seriously suggesting that Aces High II is *not* a combat flight sim?

Hardly.  The town buildings, field buildings and map rooms, in their current respective states, represent the evolution of resource denial.

Years ago, when this genre was in its infancy, an example of a resource which might be denied to the enemy was high-octane fuel.  If one successfully destroyed fuel tanks at an airfield, the performance of aircraft which required that fuel would be diminished.  

As the years wore on, other types of resources began to be categorized as "deniable."  That is, they could be attacked and destroyed to put the enemy at a disadvantage.  Leaping ahead; we arrive at the point when airfields, themselves, could be denied to the enemy via means of rendering them unserviceable.

For the reason which, as previous mentioned, is open to debate, the difficulty with which one (or several) could deny the enemy the use of an airfield was steadily increased.  This took the form of increased amounts of AAA, multiple hangars, etc, etc.

Ultimately, not even this was enough.  The decision was made to incorporate towns into the mix.  Airfields could no longer be captured simply by dropping drunks off on the runway - you had to level and then capture the applicable town.

At that point, the achievement of two objectives - destruction of the airfield (ideally) and the town were required.  By default, this split the attackers into two groups.  The intended side-effect of this was likely to give the defenders a better shot at getting airborne and into a fighting position.

The objective of this continuous process should be fairly clear.  Its an ever-present effort to increase the difficulty of base-captures.

What you consider to be a catering service is simply the way things are designed.  How many people do you think stumble across www.hitechcreations.com and say to themselves "FINALLY!  I can fly a C-47!" or "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!  I can now shoot buildings in a town as Ive always dreamed!"

Not many, I'd gather.  

Most of the people who send HTC fifteen of their hard-earned dollars each month probably said something to the effect of: "Eh?  I can do what?  Fly a P-51?  Like in the movies?  What?  Against 109's!?!?!  Holy... whats this... HAY-ZEUS AMAZINHUNK!!  Against other PEOPLE in 109's!?!?!?!?!  WHERE IS MY WALLET!?!?"

Countless PC games have been developed and sold to "cater" to customers who, like almost all of us, have an unnatural passion for warbirds.  Hundreds of titles from shareware to old-school retail to the latest and greatest "shoot at your friends online!" genre.

Ive never seen an advertisement for a game which promised the endless, repetitive, capture of airfields.

If territory acquisition is your thing, though, MAN do they make some great games.  I'm still a religious follower of the Total War series.  Have been since Shogun.  When I want my fix of "base-taking" I'll fire up Empire or Rome.

But when I want to pretend I'm a cartoon fighter ace?  I'll double click on the red "AH" icon.

Air combat is what brings in the money.  The lack of air combat would be a detriment to HTC's bottom line.  Since the base-taking culture is a detriment to air combat by means of resource (flight) denial, its a threat to cash flow, by default.

Dale owns an RV8... not a halftrack staffed with a dozen, period-correct, uniform-wearing mannequin's.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:37:36 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
Not quite

I see no mention of a flight simulator
I do however see "Air Land or sea"

I see a big-ass flipping F4U Corsair.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I see a big-ass flipping F4U Corsair.

C'mon. You've read enough picture books to know that pictures dont tell the whole story.....Havent you?????

lmao
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty